Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:10 Newbury to Reading
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 10:18:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Cornish delays
[15] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[9] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Sunday morning ticket purchase.  (Read 5658 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:50:56 »

Quick reminders please ...

1. Wanting to buy Groupsave at a station where the ticket office is closed but there is a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) (Westbury). Can I do it?

2. Wanting to buy a ticket for an 07:53 departure where a ticket office opens at 07:50, at a station in a penalty fare zone. TVM in booking office which is locked overnight.   Advise for travellers who rarely use trains?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:15:09 »

Regarding point 2 I was told by a train manager once that I was ok in similar circumstances because the time between the office opening and the departure of the train was less than the minimum connection time for the station (ie usually five minutes).
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11:19 »

Regarding point 1, the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) can't sell GroupSave*.  The NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) have this to say
Quote from: NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage)
3. Where the full range of tickets is not available
If you cannot buy an appropriate ticket for the journey you want to make because the
range of tickets that is available at the station from which you intend to start your journey
is restricted, you must buy a ticket or Permit to Travel before you travel that entitles you to
make at least part of the journey. Then you must, as soon as is reasonably practicable, buy
an appropriate ticket to complete your journey. In these circumstances, you only need to pay
the fare that you would have paid if you had bought a ticket immediately before your journey.
The price you will have to pay will be reduced by the amount paid for the ticket or Permit to
Travel.
Personally, I'd be looking to seek out the TM(resolve)/conductor before boarding to double check they are okay selling a discounted ticket on the train, explaining that GroupSave isn't available to buy at the station.

* = Or should this read "it could be possible for the TVM to be set to sell GroupSave, but it hasn't been programmed into the machine"?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:38 »

I thought it says somewhere that Group Save tickets  can only be bought from manned ticket offices.

If as the Indendant on Sunday says (see another post) that the hours that ticket offices are manned will have to be reduced then dilemmas such as Grahame postulates will become common place.

I suppose it's one way of stopping people travelling by train and/or raising revenue by making it immpossible to get a ticket and then issung penalty fares to anyone that dares to board a train without a ticket.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:51:15 by eightf48544 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:13 »

I thought it says somewhere that Group Save tickets  can only be bought from manned ticket offices.

Oh **ck.  So it says that - officially -  I can't get on at Melksham (for example) and buy on the train, but rather have to make a prior journey to somewhere like Chippenham to do so?  I don't think that advise can be right - I'm sure they're available mail order too, for example, from the FGW (First Great Western) site ...

Personally, I'd be looking to seek out the TM(resolve)/conductor before boarding to double check they are okay selling a discounted ticket on the train, explaining that GroupSave isn't available to buy at the station.

Hmmm ... so would I, Brucey ... but this is miserably offputting advise to have to put into literature / publicity for people who are very rare train users and we're trying to tempt onto a service ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:46 »

Hmmm ... so would I, Brucey ... but this is miserably offputting advise to have to put into literature / publicity for people who are very rare train users and we're trying to tempt onto a service ...
I agree.  The only real option is to press the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to sell GroupSave from their TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine).  It wouldn't be difficult:
If no. of passengers = 3 or 4, then
Prompt "All passengers travelling together throughout the entire journey" Yes/No
If Yes, apply GPS3 or GPS4 discount
If No, offer appropriate railcard discounts as usual

A bit more effort could enable the TVM to work out the best option when there are more than four passengers.  Alas, probably a nice little earner when people don't know about GroupSave discounts but still buy 3/4/more tickets from a TVM.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:20 »

Groupsave can be purchased online at FGW (First Great Western) website - the Groupsave 3 or 4 is an option under 'Railcards'

Collect at TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) or have them mailed.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:52:06 »

Groupsave can be purchased online at FGW (First Great Western) website - the Groupsave 3 or 4 is an option under 'Railcards'

Still not much use for turn up and go passengers at Melksham.

For stations where there is a TVM but no open ticket office then my advice would be to board and pay onboard. Yes, I know NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) says that you should at least pay for part of your journey from the TVM, but how do you decide what to purchase when there is a group of you? It's possible that 3 or 4 singles (plus additional children) to the next station will be more expensive than the total GroupSave fare for your group's journey. I can't see a guard refunding the difference and then issuing you with your GroupSave tickets. Even if what you've paid into the TVM is less than your group's total fare, I'd imagine the guard would have a nightmare trying to work out what he/she should do on their Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains). It's far easier for a guard to just sell the correct tickets in this circumstance and it would have to a be a pretty hard hearted guard to deny you the right to buy your GroupSave.

In the extremely unlikely event that you encounter an over zealous RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) then you (as a group) have the right to pay the correct fare for your journey and if the RPI is not happy with that then all you should accept is an Unpaid Fare Notice or Penalty Fare Notice. No need to pay any more at the time other than the correct fare (as a group) for the journey. A hassle to appeal the UPFN (Un Paid Fare Notice (used on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)))) or PFN but I believe it extremely unlikely that you would ever get one in this circumstance. If you do then shame on the railways.

grahame, how you advise this to those who are rare users of the train is beyond me. Welcome to the wonderful world of rail ticketing.  Roll Eyes

BTW (by the way), there is nothing on the GroupSave website or NRE(resolve) that states that GroupSave can only be purchased from a ticket office. Avantix machines are set up to sell GroupSave and I've witnessed on-train staff pro-actively offer the discount to groups of people. Indeed, in the recent past I, and a couple of friends have purchased GroupSave onboard.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:24:01 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:28 »

Still not much use for turn up and go passengers at Melksham.

Not much use at Trowbridge either ... significant passenger flow there - 652,000 journeys per year ... if the ticket office is shut!

willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 21:52:50 »

I would endorse what bignosemac says about on-train staff selling Groupsave tickets, indeed advising passengers it is the cheapest way to make their journey when a group of people have asked for individual tickets - have seen it done by FGW (First Great Western) staff and on other TOCs (Train Operating Company)' services.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 18:09:05 »

I was in a similar situation at Frome last weekend. Me and my friend took 06:37 from Frome to take a train to London Waterloo (Changing at Westbury and Salisbury).

The ticket we wanted was Frome to ZONE 1, 2 & 3 (Which costs an extra ^4.00 on a return ticket). which should have been ^29.05 (With railcard discount, each). We couldn't buy the ticket at Frome because the ticket office was closed. We spoke to the guard when the train arrived and asked if we could buy on the train (Something I always do at Frome).

When we boarded the guard came round and looked up the tickets we wanted, but they weren't in his Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Shocked Roll Eyes We were offered the Frome to London Waterloo ticket at ^25.10 instead. So we suggested that we get our tickets at Westbury. He said the Ticket Office would be closed and we should buy the tickets from him (Which to be fair, it was). We paid up but were sold 2 tickets that we didn't actually want Angry To make things worse, my friends Barclays Card failed to work in the Chip and Pin machine.

So we ended up having to fork out an additional ^16 for Underground Tickets to London Euston! Roll Eyes Angry

** Edited to amend to correct fares and to tidy up appalling maths skills! **
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 20:15:37 by thetrout » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 18:52:26 »

Should you do this journey again then the destination is ZONE U123* LONDN or location code 0791. Either of those should then work on a guard's Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains). If you cannot get a guard to issue this then it should still be possible to purchase an over-distance excess at Salisbury, if you are changing and have time, or on arrival at Waterloo.

According to NFM (National Fares Manual) 08 the SVR Frome - Zone U123* Londn is ^29.05 with a railcard.

Oh, and how did you end up paying ^12 for two people to get the tube to Euston (I assume from Waterloo)?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 21:58:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 20:14:12 »

Sorry BNM... I haven't been with it these past few days... Roll Eyes

I don't know how I came to ^12.00 Shocked That should have been ^16.00 (2x Singles on Saturday, 2x Singles on Sunday @ ^4.00 Each)

Sorry as well, I didn't make that overly clear. We travelled up on Saturday and returned Sunday. We then paid ^25.10 for a Super Off Peak Return to Waterloo with Railcard, but with Zones U123 Added on, it would have been ^29.05 as you said. I will amend the post accordingly to tidy that up.

Thanks for the location code Wink I will bear that in mind as it looks like I will be making more trips to the big smoke in future Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: