Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
15:07 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:37:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare changes this month?  (Read 6034 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 10, 2011, 18:44:39 »

From http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=5239

Will there be a change in fare prices in May?

Not on this route.

So are there any fares on other routes changing this month?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 18:59:05 »

I know XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are changing the time off peak returns are available on the Bournemouth to Manchester run via Reading. At the moment it is from start of service but it's changing to 09:30.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 19:37:24 »

FGW (First Great Western) did give the Customer Panel a Fares Update, but I think it's in the office. I'll post tomorrow with any changes.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 22:57:01 »

Most changes in May and September are of the stealthy type, whereby restrictions are changed. Of course TOCs (Train Operating Company) are free to change unregulated fares (1st Class, Advance etc) as they choose, but there shouldn't be any changes to regulated fares except where errors and anomalies are being corrected following the January changes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:23:17 »

Indeed, no regulated fares are changing
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:10:25 »

Thanks for the feedback so far.  ChrisB - yes, please do post any unregulated changes that may make a difference.  By what I'm seeing, it's likely to be odd things here and there (BignoseMac's "stealth" changes) which can however make a big difference, and as they're just here and there, a list of what is changing is much more useful than a list of what isn't  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:16:06 »

I know XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are changing the time off peak returns are available on the Bournemouth to Manchester run via Reading. At the moment it is from start of service but it's changing to 09:30.

Yep ... 07:30, Bournemouth to Manchester, back at lunchtime a few days later. This month - 102.90 (offpeak), next month - 208.00 (anytime).  That hurts!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20:48 »

Or book to Preston (^111.50) and travel short.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:10 »

Or travel 0726 via Waterloo, then from Euston at 1020 and arrive 1228, 11 minutes before the direct 0730 CrossCountry. Off Peak Return fare ^104.40.

Good chance of making the 1000 off Euston with a swift cross London tube journey, arriving Manchester 1207.

Return xx35 or xx55 throughout the day. Or zero excess change of route and come back with CrossCouintry from 1027 onward.

There are so many workarounds to CrossCountry's new 0930 restriction from the South Coast that I fear they've shot themselves in the foot and will be losing passengers to other TOCs (Train Operating Company), or seeing an increase in split ticketing.

Their rationale for the new restriction is because of overcrowding on parts of the route. That overcrowding is caused mostly by short distance passengers and it appears that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have decided to fleece their long distance passengers - mainly because they have no control over the fares on many of those shorter distance journeys. Fares that are, in the main, set by other TOCs.

I've just checked a few long distance flows on FGW (First Great Western) to see if there is any change in the prices of Advance Purchase. No changes as far as I can see for Standard Class, but my random sampling was in no way scientific as you cannot search historic AP fares for a given past date and time. All I can say for definite is the lowest and highest APs remain the same. To check those in between I'd need the new fares manual and I ain't got a copy yet..... Wink   

First Class appears to have a higher cheapest possible Advance on the flows I checked (one example: BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) current potential cheapest ^19. From 22nd May ^25). Of course, there's no way to check whether the quotas for each price point on Advance Purchase are changing. That's another stealthy way to increase revenue. The yield management strategy of TOCs is almost a state secret!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:15:26 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:40 »

Pricing Changes

New flows (because the 'Any Permitted' fares have transferred to Virgin allowing travel via Crewe.....)

Shropshire fares (around Church Streeton) to Gatwick Area (Reigate, Redhill etc) added "via Hereford"

CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) off-peak singles added to fares in Bristol area where CDRs (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) only exist currently

Some LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) fares to Boundary zones reduced to address anomalies

Some CDR/CDS fares in Devon & Cornwall reduced so that they all priced below local Day Ranger fares.

Restriction Changes

Exeter to Goring & Stratley (and surrounding) on Route "Reading Not London" changed from WO restriction to LC (Level Crossing)/YC (SVR/SVS/FSR (First Scot Rail)) and from 2W to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))/YU (SSR/SSS) to reflect validity via Reading.

I don't know those codes but I suspect its a tightening.

Some flows from Marlow Branch see CDR/CDS restrictiobns change to incorporate the easement allowing travel on 0837 ex-Marlow.

CDR/CDS from Burnham, Slough, Langley & Iver changed to allow travel on the 0914 from Slough -> PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). This train arrives PAD prior to 1000. Travel from Windsor & Eton is not permitted to catch this train.

Salisbury to Cosham & all points east to Portsmouth & Brighton - now allowed from 0830.

Swindon - Kemble CDR/CDS now valid from 0845.

Other Changes
We already know about Weekend First only being available on-train.

The demise of Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Extension Permits

Structure change to Isles of Scilly Packages
A short stay (via Helicopter only - up to 4 days) and long-stay (via any of 3 routes, up to 1 month)
Now allowed to use XC as well as FGW (First Great Western) where they share routes (BAN - Basingstoke, Gloucester-PNZ). Prices available also now from Birmingham Stations and a lot more than the current 13 FGW stations. Rail portion NOT train-specific (but onward to Scillies is transport-time-specific). 1sty class train now available with all types on onward transport.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:31:55 »

Thanks for that ChrisB (and by extension, thanks to your source. F&I dept. at Swindon perchance?  Wink)

Nothing too serious there except the Exeter example (and I assume services from surrounding stations in Devon). Indeed a tightening. The outward validities on the Off Peaks and Super Off Peaks appears unchanged, but the returns will be subject to evening restrictions out of Reading. The SVR, for example, being barred off Reading between 1710 and 1859.

I wonder whether a similar adjustment to that in Devon & Cornwall to CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) fares in the Bristol area on flows to/from Weymouth, will be implemented. Many of those are priced above the Heart of Wessex Day Ranger.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:08 »

I can take that suggestion forward....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:57:33 »

Let's leave that one eh? Give F&I something to do come September.  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:14 »

Oh yes, it's too late for this round now!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 13:43:19 »

Or travel 0726 via Waterloo, then from Euston at 1020 and arrive 1228, 11 minutes before the direct 0730 CrossCountry. Off Peak Return fare ^104.40.

Good chance of making the 1000 off Euston with a swift cross London tube journey, arriving Manchester 1207.

Return xx35 or xx55 throughout the day. Or zero excess change of route and come back with CrossCouintry from 1027 onward.

There are so many workarounds to CrossCountry's new 0930 restriction from the South Coast that I fear they've shot themselves in the foot and will be losing passengers to other TOCs (Train Operating Company), or seeing an increase in split ticketing.

Their rationale for the new restriction is because of overcrowding on parts of the route. That overcrowding is caused mostly by short distance passengers and it appears that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have decided to fleece their long distance passengers - mainly because they have no control over the fares on many of those shorter distance journeys. Fares that are, in the main, set by other TOCs.

I've just checked a few long distance flows on FGW (First Great Western) to see if there is any change in the prices of Advance Purchase. No changes as far as I can see for Standard Class, but my random sampling was in no way scientific as you cannot search historic AP fares for a given past date and time. All I can say for definite is the lowest and highest APs remain the same. To check those in between I'd need the new fares manual and I ain't got a copy yet..... Wink   

First Class appears to have a higher cheapest possible Advance on the flows I checked (one example: BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) current potential cheapest ^19. From 22nd May ^25). Of course, there's no way to check whether the quotas for each price point on Advance Purchase are changing. That's another stealthy way to increase revenue. The yield management strategy of TOCs is almost a state secret!

First Class AP fares rte GREAT WESTN ONLY:
^48.00
^40.50
^32.50
^25.00

Cheapest Standard Class:
^10.00 (no change I believe)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: