Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:41:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seat reservations and seating etiquette  (Read 25454 times)
Glovidge

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:37 »

I'm peed off with having a reservation for a seat only to find some eejit sat in it. Today's tale of woe involves a woman with a dashchund. So I'm not going to ask her to budge as she is in the window seat and someone else is in the aisle seat.
So the only spare seats involve the usual selfish twits who think their ticket allows them to use the other seat as the luggage rack

Of course the train manager is nowhere to be seen. Isn't it about time these selfish so and so's were informed that on busy trains one could attempt to put hand luggage in the overhead racks and were reminded as such?

As for seat reservations its a complete waste of time and money.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 13:04:36 »

I've given up with seat reservations on the Portsmouth-Cardiff route and usually just sit in coach C when I don't have an advance ticket (and when a coach C is provided!).  Very few people actually observe the reservations and most reserved seats are not used by the people who reserved them.  They also cause delays with boarding, when some people spend a lifetime reading the ticket on every seat before deciding where to park themselves.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 13:48:05 »

I've given up with seat reservations on the Portsmouth-Cardiff route and usually just sit in coach C when I don't have an advance ticket (and when a coach C is provided!).  Very few people actually observe the reservations and most reserved seats are not used by the people who reserved them.  They also cause delays with boarding, when some people spend a lifetime reading the ticket on every seat before deciding where to park themselves.

The problem is caused by people being given reservations automatically when they book online or with AP fares without really wanting them.   I'd be in favour of charging a nominal fee (say 50p per leg) for a reservation.  Result would be fewer reservations which would make it easier for both those who want them and those who do not. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 13:53:19 »

Whilst I often have a reservation I don't choose to sit in it since when I travel late in the evenings there are often better seats than my reserved seat which is invariably always the wrong way round. I personally try to avoid Coach C, merely because the chances of getting one of those awful 'Richmond' seats is far higher, where as most of A&B have the old BR (British Rail(ways)) seats with about a foot of padding to relax in!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 14:29:00 »

... I'd be in favour of charging a nominal fee (say 50p per leg) for a reservation.  Result would be fewer reservations which would make it easier for both those who want them and those who do not. 

And it would also save that soul-destroying job of putting out tickets on seats where they won't be used.  Perhaps trains might be ready a few minutes earlier at Paddington ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 14:35:53 »

50p a leg is a bit steep. That's a pound per reservation! And it's discriminatory as well: pity the poor blind passenger who has to pay for his guide-dog, where 4 legs + 2 legs = ^3.00
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 16:43:42 »

One TOC (Train Operating Company) did charge for seat reservations but this was dropped when the franchise changed. They charged ^2.50 per journey.

Personally I'm against the idea. Apart from the notion if it being an added extra like the budget airlines I often find it works in my favour. You can often get a "decent" seat by checking the label and occupying one where the origin station has been passed.

While more labour intensive the paper labels are better than the electronic ones on the voyagers. You have to wait a good few seconds while it scrolls through.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 16:47:27 »

Other TOCs (Train Operating Company) should follow SWT (South West Trains) and Southern in not bothering with seat reservations anymore. I bet you would see a marked improvement in punctuality. If you board a train that is rammed and you seat is say in the middle of the carriage, chances are someone is already sitting in it or that you won't be able to get to the seat anyway.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 17:46:34 »

If you charge for reservations and then someone is in your seat and won't budget, one is unlikely to be very happy  Angry

It either needs to be more thoroughly enforced or for AP, just have the specific train and it's tough titty if you get a seat or not - might make things slightly fare-r to those paying a lot more than a AP too.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: