Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:48:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Sunday Service  (Read 13266 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:58 »

Still awaiting final timings ... but this is a definite runner, and I'm estimating that I'm no more that 5 minutes out; we have departure times from Westbury and Swindon confirmed, and that train will call at all intermediate stations to pick up and drop off in both directions, but not precise calling times.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 18:13:10 »

Looks good.

One thing I note however is Melksham folk being unnecessarily overcharged by what can only be a described as yet another ticketing anomaly.

For the London trips, why should the Super Off Peak Day Travelcard be ^10 more than the Super Off Peak Return? A Zones 1-6 Travelcard on its own costs ^8. If folks only need travel around the central London area (which is the norm when on a day out sightseeing or shopping) then that price can be further reduced by buying a seperate Zones 1-4 (^7.30) or Zones 1-2 (^6.60) from TfL» (Transport for London - about) on arrival in London.

The good folk of Westbury, Trowbridge, Chippenham etc aren't being overcharged like this. Their Super Off Peak Travelcards are around ^5 more expensive than the Super Off Peak Return. That is true for nearly every flow on FGW (First Great Western) where Super Off Peak tickets to London are available. Only the poor folk of Melksham are being ripped off. Makes me just a little mad.  Roll Eyes

I wouldn't suggest buying the combined ticket to anyone travelling from Melksham.

In no way is this a criticism of the TWR leaflet. TWR can only advertise the fares that are in the public domain and it would become unwieldy and confusing to start listing all the legitimate ways money can be saved, but this one anomaly needs addressing. It is plain wrong for folks from Melksham to have to pay ^10 more for the Travelcard product when corresponding tickets from surrounding stations are only around ^5 more than the equivalent non Travelcard fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 18:58:02 »

In no way is this a criticism of the TWR leaflet. TWR can only advertise the fares that are in the public domain and it would become unwieldy and confusing to start listing all the legitimate ways money can be saved, but this one anomaly needs addressing.
Could be re-worded to something like:

Adult day return from Melksham ^44.00
London travelcard bought in London ^8.80 (all zones) / ^6.60 (zones 1-2)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 19:47:54 »

Er... ^8.00 (Zones 1-6).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 19:49:18 »

The heat is affecting my brain Grin Roll Eyes Tongue
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 19:56:34 »

Interesting.  It appears that someone has set up a new route for melksham tickets.  There are now two options route swindon and route any permitted.  Why they felt the need to do this for a station which has so few services I dont know.

However they have omitted to set up the new route for the travelcard option.  So they only travelcard available is the route any permitted and hence why it is more expensive.  So if you are going route swindon then it will be cheaper to purchase the travelcard separately.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 20:32:27 »

Hmm. Roll Eyes  Conspiracy theory, or cock-up theory ... Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 21:35:47 »

I'd go for the latter.  Wink Par for the course with the bonkers fares system we currently have.

Thanks for the reminder about the differing routes super tm. I missed that when sounding off earlier. Still bonkers though.....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 23:25:42 »

I'm not sure that Swindon is a new route - the fares have always been slightly lower via Swindon than via Westbury.  But the comment about the travel card only being on the any route, so more expensive than buying separate tickets if you go both ways via Swindon is something to consider ... in the morning; it's been a long day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 22:40:33 »

And what about the ^21.60 quoted by the online journey planner for Melksham to Weymouth?
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 09:37:56 »

Hey Everyone, re fares and the mess that is the fare system.

Let's just admit There is NOTHING FAIR about UK (United Kingdom) train FARES Sad

Let's not MISS the Bigger picture about this NEW train service, as I did earlier in this thread. Huh

For 7 weeks somebody (or bodies) is/are doing something about the worse than dire train service that serves, (SORRY, fails to Serve) Melksham.

What is needed here is some good old fashioned encouragement to ensure the success of this trial train service.

Get positive about this and the local press will run with it,

It's too easy for this Summer Service to fail because of lack of advertising & NEGATIVE comments.

I for one hope to travel on it, will need to find a Hotel for 2 Nights, any Hotels in Melksham near the station that anyone can suggest (question for Lord Grahame).

Tis over 20 years since I've been south of Yeovil Pen Mill.

Will have to buy a NEW Bucket & Spade. Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 10:12:19 »

Hey Everyone, re fares and the mess that is the fare system.

Let's just admit There is NOTHING FAIR about UK (United Kingdom) train FARES Sad

Let's not MISS the Bigger picture about this NEW train service, as I did earlier in this thread. Huh

For 7 weeks somebody (or bodies) is/are doing something about the worse than dire train service that serves, (SORRY, fails to Serve) Melksham.

What is needed here is some good old fashioned encouragement to ensure the success of this trial train service.

Get positive about this and the local press will run with it,

It's too easy for this Summer Service to fail because of lack of advertising & NEGATIVE comments.

I for one hope to travel on it, will need to find a Hotel for 2 Nights, any Hotels in Melksham near the station that anyone can suggest (question for Lord Grahame).

Tis over 20 years since I've been south of Yeovil Pen Mill.

Will have to buy a NEW Bucket & Spade. Grin Grin

Smokey, I'm 110% with you.   The times have now been released onto the FGW (First Great Western) ticketing system, and you should see quite a bit of local and wider publicity from now until the 28th August - the last day.

It is TREMENDOUS news.  Not only does it give the headline Weymouth trip - and from Swindon where we need to market it strongly - but it also gives Westbury / Trowbridge / Melksham a full Sunday out in London which hasn't been possible before, and we'll be pushing that.   And watch for other things too - anyone fancy train and bus / coach to see Stonehenge, Avebury, Devizes, and Marden Henge all in a day?

Accommodation - I would be delighted to offer accommodation at "Well House Manor" in Melksham at delegate rate - that's 72.00 per room per night (pair up / rooms are spacious twins) for a 2 night stay,  including superior continental breakfast. Enter "TransWilts" as your coupon code when booking (otherwise you would  be offered doubles for 95 pounds). Hotel site here and booking site here. Breakfast will be available early on the Sunday so that you can make either the 07:45 to Swindon or the 08:46 to Weymouth. We're about a mile from the station and can usually offer free pickup / dropoff. Nearer the station, you have Longhope Guest House and Bowden House; they're somewhat downmarket of us, but will probably offer you a better price.

On fares  The discussion's going on here on the more anoracky places so that we know what to tell people to ask for that's easy to understand and a fairish fare.  We want to encourage first time users, then have them come back for later trips too and tell their friends.   We don't want them p**sed off by the complexities and threats of penalties if they  don't understand the rules and make a mistake.

Why not make a long weekend of it - come to Melksham on the evening of Friday, 15th July - visit the Party in the Park and see the Carnival on Saturday, and have a trip to Weymouth on Sunday!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:09:04 by grahame » Logged

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:51 »

Seems Accommodation could be sorted thanks Grahame.

Now the Bucket & Spade? Cheesy Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:59 »

Specific public thread that I can link to for WEYMOUTH trips posted at:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9044.0

LONDON trips to have a similar exercise done ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: