Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:05:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn & solent rover ticket question  (Read 10621 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: May 20, 2011, 18:08:37 »

I will be doing the Freedom of severn & solent rover  with the 16-25 discount next week starting from tuesday.

I have been told that the ticket is  not valid before 9am except for certain services or if the off peak return ticket is valid  before 9am.

i am ok for tuesday plan's as i wont be starting til 9am but on wednesday i want to do this:

07:30 Cardiff Central - Bristol TM(resolve) (Arr 08:17)
08:44 Bristol TM - Weymouth (Arr 11:03)

According to the FGW (First Great Western) website a off peak return is valid  to do this service so would i be allowed to use the rover on this train from Cardiff or if not would i be allowed on the 08:30 Cardiff - Portsmouth Hbr service?

Also are there any services i should avoid  and does anyone know which SWT (South West Trains) services from Weymouth are operated using class 444's as i wish to avoid traveling on a class 450 from Weymouth to Southampton Central
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 18:16:10 »

I'm in the middle of an 8 in 15 day at the moment and I've not heard of the exception for off-peak times.  The FGW (First Great Western) leaflet that I've got just lists specific services before 9am.

If this were the case, it would be questionable as to which restrictions applied.  E.g. Cardiff to Bristol is not valid until after 0930 (as off-peak day return), whereas Cardiff to Weymouth is valid at any time (subject to no break of journey).

Also are there any services i should avoid  and does anyone know which SWT (South West Trains) services from Weymouth are operated using class 444's as i wish to avoid traveling on a class 450 from Weymouth to Southampton Central
I believe most services are 444s.  AFAIK (as far as I know), no specific services are booked to be 450s, it all depends on unit availability on the day.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 18:38:31 »

Ok Thank You, i have been reading through the rover ticket guide which came with the latest issue of todays railways
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 18:39:35 »

I believe most services are 444s.  AFAIK (as far as I know), no specific services are booked to be 450s, it all depends on unit availability on the day.

There are two booked 450s, but as both are relatively early, you shouldn't see one normally unless there are short term problems.

0725 to Brockenhurst
0820 to Waterloo

I can't think of any reason why the diagrams would be different after the timetable change, but it isn't impossible...

Paul

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 19:40:15 »

Monday to Friday: Valid from 0900, plus the following

0722 Axminster - Sailsbury
0827 Swindon to Penzance
0836 Taunton to Bristol Parkway
0839 Patchway to Paignton
0849 Hereford to Bham N Street
0853 Weymouth to Gloucester
0854 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
0858 Great Malvern to London Paddington
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 20:00:13 »

....and any journey which has CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) availability before 0900.

But, in true FGW (First Great Western) restriction style that gets complicated. Just one example of many....

Yate - Weymouth valid on the 0809. Yate - Yeovil PM, not valid until the 0910. Yate - Westbury, not valid until the 1013.

Of course, Break of Journey is allowed with a Rover, but can you break your journey at a station to which the corresponding CDR is not valid?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 20:01:50 »

....and any journey which has CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) availability before 0900.
Is this information to be found in the public domain anywhere?  I've never seen it mentioned...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 20:21:22 »

Aha.... Maybe the Freedom of Severn & Solent is more restrictive than the Freedom of the South West. Probably by omission rather than design though. Rather like the difference in opinion with the valid routes according to published maps. It would be a little perverse to, for example, be able to travel Bristol TM(resolve)-Weymouth on the 0840 with a FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover) and a Heart of Wessex Day Ranger, but not a FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover).

FOSW has the, "Available after 0900 (Mondays-Fridays) or when Cheap Day Return is valid (whichever is earlier)," clause mentioned on NRE(resolve) website. 

Nice to see ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) (through NRE) still referring to Cheap Day Returns 3 years after they renamed them!  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 20:26:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 21:38:46 »

So i could technically travel to Penzance on the following using a freedom of south west rover using the following train since the off peak return is valid:

07:00 Cardiff - Bristol TM(resolve) (Arr 07:51)
08:10 Bristol TM - Exeter St Davids (Arr 09:10)
09:36 Exeter St Davids - Penzance (Arr 12:42)

Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 21:39:06 »

Monday to Friday: Valid from 0900, plus the following
0849 Hereford to Bham N Street

I didn't know the rover was valid on London Midland  Huh
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 22:06:23 »

Well, the rover IS valid on LM (London Midland - recent franchise) within the mapped validity area, but quite why FGW (First Great Western) are including the LM 0849 Hereford to Birmingham on the list of valid trains mentioned on their website is beyond me. Neither Hereford or Birmingham are on the published map. You can legitimately catch the 0849 ex-Hereford from Great Malvern (0918) to Worcester SH on a FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) or FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover), but for FGW to suggest those Rovers are valid from Hereford to Birmingham is plain wrong.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:43 »

Well, the rover IS valid on LM (London Midland - recent franchise) within the mapped validity area, but quite why FGW (First Great Western) are including the LM 0849 Hereford to Birmingham on the list of valid trains mentioned on their website is beyond me. Neither Hereford or Birmingham are on the published map. You can legitimately catch the 0849 ex-Hereford from Great Malvern (0918) to Worcester SH on a FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) or FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover), but for FGW to suggest those Rovers are valid from Hereford to Birmingham is plain wrong.

The FGW website doesn't actually state  that.

As copied from the FGW website:

0556 Exeter St Davids to Barnstaple
0640 Exeter St Davids to Axminster to Salisbury (train continues to London Waterloo)
0654 Exeter St Davids to Barnstaple
0724 Exeter St Davids to Axminster to Salisbury (train continues to London Waterloo)
0819 Plymouth to Penzance
0826 Exeter St Davids to Axminster to Salisbury (train continues to London Waterloo)
0827 Swindon to Penzance
0836 Taunton to Bristol Parkway
0840 Patchway to Taunton
0843 Barnstaple to Exeter to Exmouth
0849 Hereford to Worcester Foregate Street (train continues to Birmingham New Street)
0850 Weymouth to Gloucester
0854 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
0858 Great Malvern to Worcester Shrub Hill (train continues to Birmingham New Street)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 13:12:16 »

The FGW (First Great Western) website doesn't actually state  that.

Agreed. I was referencing your earlier post (0849 Hereford to Bham N Street) and when I looked at the website I saw '0849 Hereford' and didn't notice the 'Worcester Shrub Hill' bit.

Still suggesting valid from Hereford though. Maps say otherwise.

Can't possibly be an easement to allow an 'out of area' journey on just that one train. How would someone from Hereford get home again?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 13:18:15 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 13:15:10 »

Still suggesting valid from Hereford though.
The text above the list of services even says
"You can also use your Rover ticket on the following Monday ^ Friday morning services between the stations indicated:"

I read that as being valid from Hereford on that one service only  Shocked

The paper leaflet I have (obtained from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)), does not list this service.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 13:35:55 »

Hadnt realised the SW Rover was valid on the 07:30 from Paddington to Penzance after Swindon. Presumably it's ok to buy a ticket from Reading to Swindon and then take up the Rover on the same train?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: