29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:31:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sprinter trains??  (Read 23424 times)
Super Sprinter 150

We are sorry for the delay to your service........

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:57:19 »

I think that the whole country incuding the South West of England need more Sprinter Trains. The ones that work at the moment are not very efficient and train making companies should invest in new cheap trains like Sprinters. What I mean by that is that the trains will have the same design (interior/exterior) as the normal sprinters/super sprinters (class 150 - 158) as well as having more coaches (from 2 coaches to 3/4 coaches - centre cars).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 18:17:04 by Super Sprinter 150 » Logged
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:44:57 »

I think that the whole country incuding the South West of England need more Sprinter Trains. The ones that work at the moment are not very efficient and train making companies should invest in new cheap trains like Sprinters. What I mean by that is that the trains will have the same design (interior/exterior) as the normal sprinters/super sprinters (class 150 - 158) as well as having more coaches (from 2 coaches to 3/4 coaches - centre cars) but have an improved engine. Eg. large horsepower to decrease the journey times meaning quicker journeys.

Noooooooooo!

The last thing you need on stopping train services is great big diesel engines sucking great gobbits of fuel just to move you from Nailsea to Yatton about 25 seconds quicker. As far as the current 15x is concerned the mechanical parts are about as reliable as it gets and the reasonably light vehicle weight suits the 285 - 350 bhp engines just nicely. You could possibly go the common rail engine route on them much the same as has been done with the HST (High Speed Train) fleet but upping the power much above what they are to some stupid figure makes no sense at all. Kindly note what TPEx are doing with eco mods in order to tame the 185's legendary ability to waste fuel if driven 'enthusiastically'. The last thing you need is some sort of clone of 185 on local plug runs.

You could possibly argue a case for something of about 500bhp / 45 tonnes per steel bodied car with aircon for the Cardiff - Portsmouth run but using high powered units on most of the other class two runs is an absolute and total no-brainer. All it does is up the fuel consumption at a time when oil prices are heading into orbit at a rapid rate. All of which the taxpayer or customer will have to stump up for.

As for the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about)'s why invest in new diesel units when electrification of routes (which is really the way forward) will release mid life diesel units for other duties? If for example the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) service area gets wired that could mean the most of the current LTV 16x looking for work. Good units provided the loading gauge issues can be overcome.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:38:45 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Trundling gently round the SW
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 15:07:48 »

Another point that should be noted is that providing they can be cleared for the routes  that what's to stop FGW (First Great Western) or who next gets the franchise transfering some of the displaced class 165's down to the west country.

I don think that a small fleet of DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s is required at least to replace the pacer units which have to be withdrawn by 2019, how about building some more class 172's and also wire the gospel oak - barking line and then transfer those class 172's down to bristol to work services to Severn beach and maybe a service via Henbury
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 15:25:42 »

Another point that should be noted is that providing they can be cleared for the routes  that what's to stop FGW (First Great Western) or who next gets the franchise transfering some of the displaced class 165's down to the west country.
Depends on the dft though.  For example once the 319s are cascaded they could decide to take the turbos away from FGW.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 15:44:04 »

Thats true. Wouldnt be too surprised if the DFT (Department for Transport) did that, as long as they dont come to the valley line network i will be happy.

Then again if a class 158 cant fit north of taffs well then what hope has a class 165
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 16:30:33 »

build more pacers would be cheaper.....enviro200's on rails.... i will get my coat
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:37:52 »

I think that the whole country incuding the South West of England need more Sprinter Trains. The ones that work at the moment are not very efficient and train making companies should invest in new cheap trains like Sprinters. What I mean by that is that the trains will have the same design (interior/exterior) as the normal sprinters/super sprinters (class 150 - 158) as well as having more coaches (from 2 coaches to 3/4 coaches - centre cars) but have an improved engine. Eg. large horsepower to decrease the journey times meaning quicker journeys.
I agree on one point, we need more Sprinters. However, the reason I think that is: they are so much lighter (and therefore make maintaining the track cheaper) than most newer DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). Being so much lighter they are probably much more fuel efficient than the newer units too, which is good when we have climate change and peek oil to worry about. Therefore I disagree that they should be any more powerful, their low weight makes them accelerate pretty quickly anyway doesn't it (why else would they be called Sprinters)? Also, while I think we need more Sprinters, I think it's too late to build them now (because we don't really want to have many deisel trains left in 30-40 years time), ideally they should have been built back around the time of the 170s.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 15:51:56 »

If new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are to be built, then I feel that serious consideration should be given to hybrid drive (diesel/battery).
In order to give reasonable performance, a diesel train typicly needs from about 300 up to over 500 HP per vehicle.
This much power is required in order to give good acceleration and to ascend inclines at an aceptable speed.
The average power needed is much less, but the heavy and expensive engines need to be sized for the peak power required, not the average.

Instead, one could build a 4 car hybrid multiple unit with say 350HP engines under 2 coaches only, with electric transmission as on voyagers.
The other 2 vehicles would be fitted with traction motors of say 400HP short term rating and suitable batteries.

That would give 1,500 HP for a 4 car set and ensure ample acceleration. The electric motors would only be required when accelerrating away from stops and ascending gradients. The 700 HP from the diesels being sufficient to maintain line speed on level track, and leave a modest surplus for battery charging.
Whenever the train is stationery or coasting, allmost all the engine power would be available for battery charging.
When braking, regenerative braking would be easily achieved, saving fuel and brake wear.

Only 2 engines need be purchased and maintained, and these 2 engines would run for longer periods at their most efficient power output.

On routes with many stops and lower speeds it might be possible to shut down one engine, since a single engine would charge the batteries during the many stops.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 20:03:08 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:59:54 »

Very interesting comments hybrid diesels not sure current battery technolgoy ie power to weight ratio would give much advantage.

There is a piece in Modern Railways this month re Bombardiers new TRAXX diesel loc. It is fitted with 4 Caterpillar automotive diesel engines which will start up as required. Thus idling and providing hotel power will use one engine and then when the train starts the other 3 will start and provide maximum power for acceleration then drop out when up to speed. Thus engines will work mostly at their optimum output.

Presuambly it requires quite complicated software to switch the engines on and off and rotate the idling engine to even out engine hours. Be interesting to see how it works in trials. Apparently it tries to do what the unsuccessful BR (British Rail(ways)) Fell prototype (1950's) did with mechnical gearboxes.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 17:50:12 »

more chance of more Bulleid's Leader's
Super Sprinter 150

We are sorry for the delay to your service........

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 19:20:16 »

If new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are to be built, then I feel that serious consideration should be given to hybrid drive (diesel/battery).
In order to give reasonable performance, a diesel train typicly needs from about 300 up to over 500 HP per vehicle.
This much power is required in order to give good acceleration and to ascend inclines at an aceptable speed.
The average power needed is much less, but the heavy and expensive engines need to be sized for the peak power required, not the average.

Instead, one could build a 4 car hybrid multiple unit with say 350HP engines under 2 coaches only, with electric transmission as on voyagers.
The other 2 vehicles would be fitted with traction motors of say 400HP short term rating and suitable batteries.

That would give 1,500 HP for a 4 car set and ensure ample acceleration. The electric motors would only be required when accelerrating away from stops and ascending gradients. The 700 HP from the diesels being sufficient to maintain line speed on level track, and leave a modest surplus for battery charging.
Whenever the train is stationery or coasting, allmost all the engine power would be available for battery charging.
When braking, regenerative braking would be easily achieved, saving fuel and brake wear.

Only 2 engines need be purchased and maintained, and these 2 engines would run for longer periods at their most efficient power output.

On routes with many stops and lower speeds it might be possible to shut down one engine, since a single engine would charge the batteries during the many stops.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:40 »

In London we now have a number of hybrid drive buses which is an encouraging sign.

Buses are of course lighter in weight than DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), and the technology is probably not directly transferable from buses to DMUs.
This does however show the potential of the idea.

There has been talk of adding a pantograph and transformer car to voyagers so as to permit of electric operation.
How about fitting  2 battery/motor coaches to a voyager.
That would give 2 much needed extra coaches of passenger space, with no loss of performance as the batteries would be used for acceleration and ascending inclines.
The batteries being charged when coasting, stopped, or proceeding at reduced power.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 20:00:24 »

I am sure I read an article about Bombardier looking at flywheel technology as a means to improve the efficiency of dmu's and allow for greater acceleration.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 20:40:19 »

realise its a demu but didnt the class 210 have quite good acceleration
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:43 »

Yes, we need a rolling order of 172s (or equivilent) to replace ALL stock pre the 158s (and then the 158s too). I've always said this.

Electrification is coming, but not in the next 30 years for some mainlines, let alone branches.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: