Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:48:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: McNulty Report on the UK rail network published  (Read 27059 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2011, 22:38:15 »

quite frankly most of the Railway Staff i have spoken with view the comments in this report regarding staff as a disgusting insult to there professionalism
I agree

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2011, 00:22:05 »

quite frankly most of the Railway Staff i have spoken with view the comments in this report regarding staff as a disgusting insult to there professionalism
I agree

Me too (even though I'm only peripherally Railway Staff). I found the comparison between the training times between Bus Drivers and Train Drivers particularly loathesome, and a typical example of what happens when you take an outsider's view to a different industry.

However, by way of balance, I wouldn't dismiss the entire report based on some of the ignorance shown - it does have some suggetions worthy of further consideration, and there are times when it is necessary to take an outsiders view.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 22:46:29 by dviner » Logged
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2011, 05:36:33 »

Me too (even though I'm only perpherally Railway Staff). I found the comparison between the training times between Bus Drivers and Train Drivers particularly loathesome, and a typical example of what happens when you take an outsider's view to a different industry.
Agreed. It does seem that the lessons of Ladbrooke Grove (which was mainly a result of inadequate driver training) don't appear to have sunk in in certain quarters. Driver training takes as long as it does for off street recruits simply because we are now trying to condense into a few months experience which was gleaned over at least two years back in the day before going on the driving course. I notice that the pay levels and training levels for for airline pilots (similar levels of responsibility to a fully loaded HST (High Speed Train)) have deliberately been missed from the report. Can't think why that would be....

Perhaps the views of the Ladbrooke Grove victim groups should be sought before discussing any diminution of driver training standards and principles....

Trundling gently round the SW
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:04 »

Me too (even though I'm only perpherally Railway Staff). I found the comparison between the training times between Bus Drivers and Train Drivers particularly loathesome, and a typical example of what happens when you take an outsider's view to a different industry.
Agreed. It does seem that the lessons of Ladbrooke Grove (which was mainly a result of inadequate driver training) don't appear to have sunk in in certain quarters. Driver training takes as long as it does for off street recruits simply because we are now trying to condense into a few months experience which was gleaned over at least two years back in the day before going on the driving course. I notice that the pay levels and training levels for for airline pilots (similar levels of responsibility to a fully loaded HST (High Speed Train)) have deliberately been missed from the report. Can't think why that would be....
Perhaps the views of the Ladbrooke Grove victim groups should be sought before discussing any diminution of driver training standards and principles....
When the training time comparison between a bus drive and a train driver is made it is forgotten that a bus drive comes pre trained, they already have a drivers licence for a car, don't know any bus operators who take anyone without a drivers licence, train operators have to start from scratch

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2011, 11:46:48 »

Well, having endured a bus journey yesterday where the driver was under going training on issuing tickets I am glad train drivers don't receive bus drivers training. The journey in question is 4.5 miles, takes 20 minutes, and yesterday took 35 minutes because the driver had not issued tickets before and had not received training on the Wayfarer ticket machine. The instructor told him not to worry and take his time! Of course our bus was overtaken by the following departure en route - 10 minute service. Thank you First group for you commitment to customer service.

Imagine your HST (High Speed Train) driver having to consult his signalling diagram before deciding which signals applied to his train, and approaching junctions at 10mph because he wasn't sure of any speed restrictions. No thanks!
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2011, 17:24:13 »

Imagine your HST (High Speed Train) driver having to consult his signalling diagram before deciding which signals applied to his train, and approaching junctions at 10mph because he wasn't sure of any speed restrictions. No thanks!
I can personally vouch that driver training / retraining on HST routes and traction thankfully is rather more exacting than that. As is the training for all train drivers. The public expect nothing less.

McNulty doesn't want you to think that though as it doesn't suit the argument that he is trying to make. I don't suppose he has examined driver training and competence issues in any great detail at all before making his recommendations.

Trundling gently round the SW
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2011, 22:56:25 »

I can personally vouch that driver training / retraining on HST routes and traction thankfully is rather more exacting than that. As is the training for all train drivers. The public expect nothing less.

McNulty doesn't want you to think that though as it doesn't suit the argument that he is trying to make. I don't suppose he has examined driver training and competence issues in any great detail at all before making his recommendations.

Perhaps if he'd grabbed a bus driver and a train driver at random and asked each of them to talk through a typical route, he may have gone away with a different impression of why train driver education and training is more expensive...

... although, who are we kidding - how many of those 320 pages were penned by the man himself?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: