06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 01:32:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW website  (Read 25696 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 00:43:38 »

From The Telegraph:

Train company website ^delayed by bad weather^

First Great Western has sought to distance itself from a statement saying its new website was delayed by ^adverse weather conditions^ on the same day that National Rail Enquiries^ app was slowed by engineering works.

Commuters are used to the wrong type of snow and leaves on the line, but only a website run by a train company could use the weather as an excuse for problems.

First Great Western issued a press release announcing that its website would be upgraded on Thursday, but its digital creative agency subsequently said ^Due to adverse weather conditions across the country the decision has been made to hold the new site back to avoid any unnecessary disruption to customers accessing the online site.^

A First Great Western spokesman says the second statement was not approved and was ^entirely incorrect^. The agency, 2020, has apologised for issuing a misleading release, and the website was upgraded later than planned on the Thursday.

The confusion, which sparked a spike in Twitter traffic, came on the same day as the National Rail Enquiries team issued a tweet that said, ^Apologies if there are delays in replying to your messages this morning, there's some maintenance work on the app we use at the moment^.

Twitter users immediately suggested that engineering works had become a problem across every aspect of the rail network. The company did not comment on suggestions that it would also be closing its app for engineering works over Christmas.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
polymath
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 17:37:20 »

Following on from previous comments, I thought I would check out the 'new improved' web site today, as it is the start of the new timetable, only to find that the previous timetables are still showing as the 'current' ones. What a poor state of affairs, when an organisation as large as FGW (First Great Western) cannot even get this right, let alone all the other failings of the site.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 17:50:57 »

Following on from previous comments, I thought I would check out the 'new improved' web site today, as it is the start of the new timetable, only to find that the previous timetables are still showing as the 'current' ones. What a poor state of affairs, when an organisation as large as FGW (First Great Western) cannot even get this right, let alone all the other failings of the site.
The launch of the new FGW website has been disappointing when it comes to the most important part of having a transport related website...information! I am struggling to understand why they launched the site before importing all the latest information from the old site such as new timetables and service changes (engineering work) that were showing on the old site until mid January including Christmas alterations. If you visited the new site looking for information about services over Christmas you would have a job finding it.

Surely it would have been better to get everything bang up to date and launch it next week after this weekend's timetable change. Can we have the old up to date site back please until they get these things sorted rather than do it in a live environment?
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 17:06:54 »

There are some alerts on the 'journeycheck' page this afternoon - but the [expand all] and [Collapse all] buttons don't seem to work.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:22 »

The choice of colours on the JourneyCheck website is [irony]excellent[/irony]. Dark grey on blue is unreadable:
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:29 »

The choice of colours on the JourneyCheck website is [irony]excellent[/irony]. Dark grey on blue is unreadable:

So it wasnt just my eyes   Roll Eyes
insider

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 23:40:46 »

If using Internet Explorer 8 then click on the compatibility mode icon next to URL bar, this will fix the issue as Website is meant to be on a white background as shown in attached screen shot.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 00:27:38 »

And to add, whilst the new FGW (First Great Western) website is still a bit of a dog's breakfast the 'Journey Check' pages render fine when using Firefox....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 00:31:40 »

Their 'Meet the Manager' page is, however, still a complete and utter waste of space: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Customer-services/Meet-the-Manager  Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 13:25:19 »

The stations page on the FGW (First Great Western) website have had a makeover.  Like the choice of photo for Swindon!

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/At-the-station
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 13:28:01 »

The stations page on the FGW (First Great Western) website have had a makeover.  Like the choice of photo for Swindon!

I somehow think a picture of Reading station in it's current state (a building site) would do much to promote its use!
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 13:35:26 »

Any mileage in people submitting a photo of their local station for inclusion on the website.  Maybe a competition sponsored by FGW (First Great Western) Huh
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 13:40:55 »

Any mileage in people submitting a photo of their local station for inclusion on the website.  Maybe a competition sponsored by FGW (First Great Western) Huh

If you are eating your lunch look away now...

As part of my morning routine when I change trains at Reading and make use of the "facilities" on the main concourse.

It amuses me that in "Trap 1" there is a toilet roll held on to the wall by a piece of string. I have been tempted to take a picture of this item and label it "Reading Station Improvements - Work In Progress" but have thought better of it.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 16:51:27 »

But surely, that isn't Swindon.
Can it be the third platform at Bodmin Parkway?
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 17:32:11 »

But surely, that isn't Swindon.
Can it be the third platform at Bodmin Parkway?

Aye yes it is.  Trees, passing loop, platform curvature, and land contour in the back right all tick the Bodmin Road boxes.

Well spotted
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: