29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 21:02:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Train Services To Weymouth and London (Chippenham People 17/06)  (Read 16806 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:24 »

From Chippenham People:

Summer Train Services To Weymouth and London Via Chippenham Station

New summer train timetables have been released to help you escape Chippenham for the beach.

Trans Wilts Rail (TWR) announced that throughout the summer, on Sundays, there will be new direct services to Weymouth from Swindon, Chippenham and Melksham.

The service operates from Swindon leaving at 08.20 via Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge and Westbury to arrive at Weymouth 10.42. Returning at 17.56 from Weymouth arriving Swindon 20.02.

Trains will run every Sunday in July and August except for 10th July. Tickets may be bought on the day at stations or if no ticket office is open at your station, on the train.

Because this is an additional service for summer only it is not included in the published timetable or shown on the internet booking system via National Rail or any other sites.

TWR suggest that, If you wish to buy tickets in advance, you visit the station booking office in person.

Other services via Chippenham

In the other direction a TWR service links to London trains leaving Westbury at 07.28 arriving Swindon 08.10 to change for the 08.22 arriving Paddington 09.39.

The return train is the 17.00 from Paddington arriving Swindon 18.11 change for the linking TWR service leaving at 18.19 calling at Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge and arriving Westbury 19.02.

TWR are also in discussions to arrange for some linking bus/coach services at some of the rail stations on the TWR route to enable you to enjoy a car free day out at various Wiltshire countryside destinations.

To correct one point in the article. the 0820 from Swindon IS in booking engines.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 22:45:18 »

And a very welcome news item on FGW (First Great Western)'s site appeared today on the subject, including a quote from a certain Graham Ellis.  Here's hoping the trial is a success, and well done to Graham for helping publicise the event.   

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?id=701
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 22:50:08 »

Excellent to see FGW (First Great Western) publicising the extra trains on their website.

Well done to them!   Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 00:35:36 »

Really looking forward to getting my new bucket and spade Sunday.  Smiley

Hanky washed and knotted.  Cool
Sion Bretton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:21:53 »

this service was not showing on the platform screens today  at Chippenham, but over 20 people got one this service.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:32:37 by Sion Bretton » Logged
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 21:38:48 »

Unfortunately there were also reportedly 15 people waiting to get on at Melksham yesterday (10/7). The Tourist Information Centre in Melksham fielded several complaints today (Monday) from disgruntled potential passengers, some of whom caught a train to Westbury and continued with their buckets and spades from there, some who returned home in high dudgeon.

From what I could make out, the TIC (Tourist Information Centre) weren't particularly helpful either - I'd rather not name names, but the lady who spoke to me about it, who works there, said in response to my explanation that there was never intended to be a service this week due to engineering works, "Oh, well we spent ages going through the Melksham News as I was sure I'd seen something in there as well, but we couldn't find anything"

(I suspect they should have referred to the previous week's issue rather than the latest, which is full of Carnival news...)

One sometimes despairs of the good people of Melksham, who obviously don't read what information they are given and therefore should have known that there was no service this week - but to be fair, a poster about the service at Melksham station might have helped, and having been there and looked around there actually isn't anything on display at all.

Despite not having been to any meetings due to numerous other commitments at the moment (not least Melksham Food Festival and Party in the Park) I am actually an officer of the committee, so I was wondering - might it be helpful if I put together a timetable and pinned it up down at the station somewhere?

I also heard from another source today that Trowbridge Tourist Information Centre have run out of leaflets about the service, so if someone else could take care of that perhaps while I fill the gap at Melksham?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:25:06 »

E-mail has been sent to FGW (First Great Western), which you have been copied into.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:06 »

All the publicity and every press release has been VERY careful to state "3rd July, then every Sunday from 17th July to 28th August".  And also web sites, leaflets, posters, etc.   We can't speak for what the press leave out, but so far I've seen NOTHING that implied a 10th July service.   

And we don't have a god-given right to an article in every edition of the local paper .... it's quite flattering that people feel the service is so important that we should have ;-)

Posters ... they are up at some stations - looks like a glitch that we're sorting - exactly the sort of thing which the dress rehearsal on 3rd July threw up and should be corrected by the next run, on 17th.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:05 »

Brochure - http://atrebatia.info/brochures/tff.pdf

Two sided, all set up to print.   I'm physically away and unable to print out any ... if someone could do a few that would be great and I can do more on my return.   I HAVE emailed the .pdf to the people who are short of it, but it's unfair to expect they have facilities to print it out ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:02:46 »

New posters for Melksham and Trowbridge being sent out by FGW (First Great Western) today. This will hopefully lead to the issue being resolved. 

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:42:51 »

Further update from FGW (First Great Western) - Posters will be on display at Melksham and Trowbridge stations by the end of the week.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 13:05:06 »

A batch of TWCRP» (TransWilts Community Rail Partnership - about) Summer Sunday Service Brochures will be dropped in to Trowbridge TIC (Tourist Information Centre) over the weekend, or on Monday at the latest. My thanks go to thetrout for helping to sort this out  Smiley

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 16:14:34 »

Just to update everyone; I will be dropping a 50 printed copies of the leaflet Lee has referenced, in to Trowbridge Tourist Information Centre this evening.

They should be available for anyone who wants a copy; for collection from Tuesday (19/07/2011) onwards.

Sorry for the delay my end... Slight "operational issues" with the printer... Lips sealed

*edit* - Tidied up the wording as it looked like I was saying only 1 copy would be available!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 16:22:50 by thetrout » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 18:50:02 »

Many thanks  Smiley

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 02:47:24 »

Sunday 17th July report, with photos, can be found here.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: