Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 23:11:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW get it wrong again  (Read 10075 times)
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 14:12:52 »

depends on how much they had to drink  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 15:32:25 »

depends on how much they had to drink  Grin

Grin Grin Roll Eyes
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 20:00:45 »

I've had a reply from FGW (First Great Western) ..I like the bit that says that information about extra services is USUALLY available.. Not sure if I need to take that up with them.. Other than that not too bad a reply I guess..

Thank you for your email of 25 June 2011

I was very concerned to learn how disappointed you were with the formation/size of our  service back to Maidenhead on 24 June. I realise how disappointing this must've been for you, and I am genuinely sorry that you feel so let down.

I appreciate that you feel we did not provide a sufficient amount of carriages for those returning from the Hard Rock music event. We carefully monitor passenger movements on all areas of the network, to ensure that we provide the right type of rolling stock for each journey. We also have a dedicated Special Events Manager who closely liaises with various events organizers, such as those running the Henley Regatta, Millennium Stadium or football/rugby clubs etc. This helps us to predict the unusually high passenger numbers travelling to/from such events, and were possible, to provide additional services. Indeed, I can confirm that we did provide extra services that evening for those returning from Hard Rock.

We'd very much like to be able to run all of our trains as the larger High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train)'s). However, I regret that this just isn't possible, as there simply isn't the rolling stock available to do this. Instead, we have to decide what services to run as the larger trains, and what services to run as the smaller Turbo trains.

Whilst simply adding additional carriages may also seem like an obvious solution, rolling stock is a major challenge for most train operators as there is simply not enough stock available in the UK (United Kingdom) at the moment. Similarly, we have a duty of care to our regular passengers across our entire network. We must therefore remain mindful of the knock-on effects of adding additional carriages for special events, as these have to be removed from normal services elsewhere. I am sure you can appreciate how this is a difficult balance to achieve. 

You may feel that a train operator should commit to the purchase and construction of extra stock; however this is not always possible if a company is not able to see a return on investment over a relatively short franchise period. I am sorry for the concern that this has caused and I would reiterate that we do monitor our services and make changes where possible.
I was also concerned to learn how disappointed you were with not being told about the additional services that evening. Information about traveling to such events is usually available on our website in advance and customers also have the option to contact our Customer Relations Helpline.

It's clear that you feel let down by the provisions on 24 June, and I really am sorry this is the case. I'll make sure that the details of your case are passed on to the relevant managers, for inclusion as part of their post-event review. They'll be able to take your feedback on-board when planning future rolling stock allocations for music/festival-goers - including how we subsequently advertise such services.

Thank you again for contacting First Great Western.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 20:06:33 »

Also.. I will be travelling home lateish tomorrow evening.. The Wireless festival has now taken over in Hyde Park it seems (not that I am going to it) ..Finishing at 22.20 The journey planner isn't telling me about additional trains.. or length of trains.. So I'm not quite sure which of the lovely (potentially) overcrowded services to chose from..I can't see anything obvious on FGW (First Great Western)'s site to tell me either  Angry
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 20:22:10 »

And I didn't last very long.. I replied to FGWs (First Great Western) email..

Hello

Thank you for your reply.. I am fairly satisfied with it apart from the part that says "Information about traveling to such events is usually available on our website in advance ".. Usually being the word I'm not sure I'm happy with..I'm pretty sure there was no information on there before last Friday..

I am going to be travelling home tomorrow night late and have found out there is another big gig in Hyde Park. I've had a good look at your website and can find no indication of which extra services you will be running or if in fact you are adding extra carriages to existing trains..Please could you let me know so I can plan my journey.. I can't face a repeat of last Friday night's horrendous journey..

Thanks
Jo
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 21:22:56 »

Also, there are plenty of turbos running spare at that time of night!

Your reply is referring to timetable changes, not lengthening existing services
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 21:26:33 »

Yeah when I read the reply again I realised they were kind of talking rubbish on available trains at that time of night... At least they'll have to reply again at some point.. No doubt the reply will be after tomorrow which is when I need the information for.. I might give the "Customer Relations Helpline" (whatever that is) a call tomorrow to see what they can tell me... Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 21:32:55 »

I might give the "Customer Relations Helpline" a call....

08457 000125. Or if you don't have inclusive 08 numbers on your call plan(s) then 01752 675653. I prefer the geographical number as you are also straight through to the queueing system for an advisor and don't have to faff about with, "Press 1 for..." etc.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 22:06:48 »

I might give the "Customer Relations Helpline" a call....

08457 000125. Or if you don't have inclusive 08 numbers on your call plan(s) then 01752 675653. I prefer the geographical number as you are also straight through to the queueing system for an advisor and don't have to faff about with, "Press 1 for..." etc.
Thank you for that bignosemac.. I'll program it into my phone ready for tomorrow (I don't have inclusive 08 numbers hence the disgust as Apcoa Connect and their 0845 number in another thread)... I shall be interested to hear what they say..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:16 »

The 23:29 is also booked a 2-car and can just about cope Monday to Thursday, but is always a squeeze on a Friday.

I'm afraid FGW (First Great Western) neglects its late evening passengers from Paddington a little, though to be fair the recent introduction of the 23:42 Fridays Only service has gone some way to correcting issues with the 23:29.

Just to say that the 23:29ex Paddington is now a 4-car Turbo as far as Reading where the rear two carriages get locked out of use.  That, along with the 23:42FO service and the additional calls at Maidenhead on several late evening services (see - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9962.0) and the evening service is now hugely improved on what was in place until recently.  Well done FGW!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: