04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 07:28:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the oven/overheated/no I mean air conditioned FGW train  (Read 19424 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2011, 22:35:06 »

I just knew, as it was so warm already, and I had to be in London on time so couldn't miss the 8.34 from Maidenhead.. that the train they would send.. would be an (not not not ) "air conditioned" one..

By the time I got off at Paddington (ten mins late by that point) I felt very very ill and I commute practically every day and don't feel that way usually..

Why do all other trains companies, that I am aware of, manage to run proper length trains with air con that works.. Why can't FGW (First Great Western) do the same?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 22:49:52 »

Glastonbury may account for short-forming?

As for heating.....pass!

Btw - I'm sitting in Paddington's 1st class lounge waiting for the sleeper (why does everyone board an hour before leaving? Are they going straight to bed? In this heat?), and yes, you've guessed...... The heating is on, blowing almost full pelt. Maybe thats why theyve boarded? :-)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 22:53:04 »

Glastonbury may account for short-forming?

As for heating.....pass!

Btw - I'm sitting in Paddington's 1st class lounge waiting for the sleeper (why does everyone board an hour before leaving? Are they going straight to bed? In this heat?), and yes, you've guessed...... The heating is on, blowing almost full pelt. Maybe thats why theyve boarded? :-)

This train has been short formed for at least a couple of years.. I think (and I know I could check on here as I'm sure it was posted) that the extra carriages were sent somewhere to help trains that couldn't cope with leaves on the line.. I guess that isn't the case now a couple of years later.. But if FGW (First Great Western) are going to run short trains.. They needs to give us ones with lots of openinig windows.. please..
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 23:20:17 »

I just knew, as it was so warm already, and I had to be in London on time so couldn't miss the 8.34 from Maidenhead.. that the train they would send.. would be an (not not not ) "air conditioned" one..

By the time I got off at Paddington (ten mins late by that point) I felt very very ill and I commute practically every day and don't feel that way usually..

Why do all other trains companies, that I am aware of, manage to run proper length trains with air con that works.. Why can't FGW (First Great Western) do the same?

Maybe there's an argument that ticket inspectors (Revenue Collection Officers?) sometimes travel on the trains and therefore the carriages should be subjects to HSE (Health and Safety Executive) requirements regarding "reasonable" working temperatures?  Could be a way of forcing the issue to ensure that maximum temperatures aren't too high.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 00:06:48 »

even with air conditioning working, air conditioning normally cant cope with more than a 5C reduction, with outside temps around 28-29, air con will bring it down to 23-24C which is still uncomfortably hot.
also remember crowded with people wil make it seem warmer than it is, probably taking it back up 2-3C at least

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:02:58 »

Maybe there's an argument that ticket inspectors (Revenue Collection Officers?) sometimes travel on the trains and therefore the carriages should be subjects to HSE (Health and Safety Executive) requirements regarding "reasonable" working temperatures?  Could be a way of forcing the issue to ensure that maximum temperatures aren't too high.

It's an interesting thought but the HSE legislation is very vaguely worded and only applies to "indoor" environments; there is a minimum temperature of 16C defined for environments where work is mainly sedentary, with 13C where physical effort is required. Otherwise everything seems to be couched in terms of making 'reasonable' efforts, leaving aside that I suspect a train would not be defined as an 'indoor' working environment.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:45 »

My usual plan with the sleeper is travel up from Reading and board just after 22:30, have a couple of G&Ts and get to bed before the service leaves. I find it easier to nod off while it is still in the platform and thus have a better night's sleep.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:12 »

even with air conditioning working, air conditioning normally cant cope with more than a 5C reduction, with outside temps around 28-29, air con will bring it down to 23-24C which is still uncomfortably hot.
also remember crowded with people wil make it seem warmer than it is, probably taking it back up 2-3C at least

But I've been on other train companies trains on very hot days.. And their air conditioning works...I do think the 8.34 definitely needs it's lost carriages back as then there would be less people in each carrigage which would help.. Meanwhile, as I said before...until they do that or assuming they don't...then they need to run a train with opening windows on that service
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 19:14:58 »

Many other TOCs (Train Operating Company) have much more modern rolling stock. You have to remember that HST (High Speed Train)'s are around 30 years old and at the end of a normal train working life so failures on all parts of the trains are more likely. Fortunately that is not too often because of the relative simplicity of HSTs compared with modern stock where there is more to go wrong. As far as I am aware the only other FGW (First Great Western) trains that had air conditioning at one time is the 166 Turbo fleet that FGW inherited. The air con on 166s was installed very much as an afterthought to the original 165 spec and has never been successful due to the difficulty in servicing the kit.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:47 »

It wasn't the HSTs (High Speed Train) I was talking about sadly.. They are a treat if I get to get one of those..As far as I know the air con does work on those.. it was a 166 I was on the other day
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 07:42:56 »

I really think FGW (First Great Western) should give up on the aircon on the 166's and replace the windows with the ones similar to the 165's at least they get cool when they are on the move and even when stationary in the heat the 165's do not become stifling.  Being in a 166 in the recent heat is akin to locking a pet in a car and leaving the windows shut, you would get locked up for doing that!!!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:31 »

Let's at least give this new A/C system being installed on the 166's a chance before we sharpen our knives!  As far as I know it's only installed on the one unit at the moment (217 or 218 I think?), but if you believe management rumours it is performing much better than the practically defunct current system.  I am a sceptic about this, but there is a chance that this summer will be the last where 166's are so stiflingly hot!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:10 »

I'm pretty certain that I've heard Management say there's a delay on the fitting as they aren't completely happy with the trial....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:32 »

Yes, that's right, but it was a power supply issue leading to the system tripping out I believe, rather than an issue with the actual effectiveness of the system - which is of course the important thing long-term.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:15 »

Indeed, that was the gist of the conversation - thanks for jogging my cells...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: