Delayed
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 08:55:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[88] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[27] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the oven/overheated/no I mean air conditioned FGW train  (Read 19426 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 19:47:42 »

I really think FGW (First Great Western) should give up on the aircon on the 166's and replace the windows with the ones similar to the 165's at least they get cool when they are on the move and even when stationary in the heat the 165's do not become stifling.  Being in a 166 in the recent heat is akin to locking a pet in a car and leaving the windows shut, you would get locked up for doing that!!!

Exactly why I posted.. It made me feel quite ill...
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:29 »

I went round Reading depot in Thames days and teh A/C on teh 166s was the despair of the engineers then. They were even working woth a firm of refrigeration engineers in Reading to try and make it work. I believe the original is Italian built.

One of Chris Green's failures although the rest of the 65 design was pioneering, welded aluminum body etc.
argg

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 13:53:05 »

Why do all other trains companies, that I am aware of, manage to run proper length trains with air con that works.. Why can't FGW (First Great Western) do the same?
Can we get an answer to Jo's original question - its not just short forming of one particular train - all the trains are short formed and there is no air conditionaing at all.

As Jo says why do other companies manage it and FGW can't.  eg SWT (South West Trains) Waterloo-Reading, even late at night, always 8 modern air conditioned carriages.

I know its all down to cash, so why not give the franchise to a company that can afford the investment in new stock - so what if its a foreign company?

Abysmal service, depressing, uncomfortable and dirty trains which cost a fortune to travel on.  Remind me why I want to work in London?

While I'm on a rant (and off topic I know), what numpty decided on the Circle line changes without improving the access to and from platforms 15/16 at Paddington first - its a joke morning and evening
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 14:01:01 »

No TOC (Train Operating Company) would invest in that size of fleet, for less than about a 30 year franchise. At at least ^1million a vehicle, you're talking big money.

The GW (Great Western) franchise probably has the oldest fleet out there right now too....the 165 turbos never had aircon, and those 166s which do, are so old that frankly, the aircon is knackered and obsolete.

Not ALL trains are shortformed - what I think you mean are that they could do with extra carriages? Most trains are formed of the number of coaches that they are scheduled to have.

But more coaches on top of new trains too? You want to bid? :-)

Re the circle line, yes, LU were warned - had several meetings about it - but they knew best of course. I just hope there isn't a serious accident though.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 14:14:02 »

No TOC (Train Operating Company) would invest in that size of fleet, for less than about a 30 year franchise.
It was suggested eleswhere that the EU» (European Union - about) limit for rail franchises is 21 years and even then only in exceptional circumstances as usually the limit would be 15 years.  Would a TOC invest in a fleet in return for a 21 year franchise?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 14:22:39 by Zo^ » Logged
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 14:23:44 »

re short forming- it happens a lot.

About 6 months ago on their web site there seemed to be a lot more ''train xxx is formed of two coaches instead of three'' where as now this isnt the case as much. My train in the evening has gone from three to two and most mornings to. Result in the evening is people getting left behind when Newbury racing is on.

Re the state of the turbos, FGW (First Great Western) has ran them long enough so maybe they should look after them better rather than watch them fall apart the 'refreshed' units are going the same way.

Are TOC (Train Operating Company)'s expected to return units to a set standard if they stop running a franchise?

That said I think the fitters do a great job and diesel trains will always wear out quicker than electric trains.
argg

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 14:38:17 »

The GW (Great Western) franchise probably has the oldest fleet out there right now too....the 165 turbos never had aircon, and those 166s which do, are so old that frankly, the aircon is knackered and obsolete.
Exactly - no train has air con (I'm talking local services not HST (High Speed Train))
Not ALL trains are shortformed - what I think you mean are that they could do with extra carriages? Most trains are formed of the number of coaches that they are scheduled to have.
Exactly what I mean

I do have the answer...  Move house!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 20:04:18 »

I do have the answer...  Move house!

That may be simple for some people.. but not for others.. For example if you have children at local schools..
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 20:09:40 »

Unless they are in exam year, you can still move house during the summer
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 20:13:38 »

..and only have one child? I have three.. that is never going to happen
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 21:15:00 »

Our family did it, and I'm one of three kids....twice
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 21:18:16 »

Personally I won't move my children out of schools they're doing well/happy at.. But anyway.. Still doesn't explain why most other train companies seem to have got it right.. FGW (First Great Western) don't.. Do other train companies have particulalry long franchises so they have time to invest more?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 21:51:09 »

Only chiltern.... And they badly need to renovste their first group of clubmans! Seats are getting very threadbare in places. All sests badly need a deep clean too.

They had a 20 year franchise which stated what had to be bought & when. New EU» (European Union - about) regs make it hard to offer more than a 15 year franchise, which is what the Coalition is likely to offer going forward.

There will be a limit to the amount that TOCs (Train Operating Company) will be willing to accept if their bids are going to hold up. Also, the recession means bids eon't be as high as previously for the same amount of outlay, but the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) wants more, not less in way of bids, hence the current rethink on franchises.

We'll just have to see what comes out for the East Coast franchise to get an idea of whats likely to be offered.

In terms of buying (contracting) new stock, the ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) will wsnt guarantees from the DfT that stock will be utilised over the full life of it, not just one franchise - hence why the DfT controls who gets what stock & when
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 22:36:18 »

I doubt Maidenhead will see new trains until CrossRail comes in.

And as per Jo - moving just because of short trains isn't exactly reason to disrupt the lifes of 3 children.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 23:06:27 »

And then there are those of us who live in social housing. That's a council house in old money.

Putting "the trains are too short round here" as a reason, on a transfer list request for a new council house in another local authority area, ain't gonna get you far.

I can't even transfer within my local authority area. I've been trying for over 4 years to bag a flat closer to Bristol city centre.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: