07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:26:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Two forum gatherings in the coming weeks. 24th July and 21st August  (Read 31195 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:46 »

I believe the plan is for grahame and I to be on the 0730 Westbury-Swindon (debate about whether we join at Westbury or Melksham is ongoing) and 0820 Swindon-Weymouth. The last I heard, Peter Blackburn of Melksham Rail Development Group will also be with us, and maybe even a dog as well..

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 15:07:13 »

I'm expecting a heavy day of training on Sunday  Wink - as much of the following as necessary with at least the core Melksham - Weymouth section)

07:30 Westbury - Swindon
08:20 Swindon - Weymouth, arrive 10:42

17:56 Weymouth - Swindon
20:45 Swindon - Bath
21:38 Bath - Westbury, arrive 22:02

(almost looks like a unit diagram, doesn't it!)

Which pubs in Weymouth welcome dogs?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 08:17:15 »

75 and growing waiting for the 08:20 from Swindon.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55:19 »

Where are you, bobm? We are in the middle carriage with the laptops  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 21:42:39 »

Not had a chance to post on this one until now. A very good day on Sunday with a well, but not uncomfortably, loaded train from Swindon to Weymouth. The guard was very much in evidence ensuring people had the right ticket and from the conversations I overheard it seemed many were new to rail - certainly for leisure travel.

A couple of observations FGW (First Great Western) should take note of. The ticket office at Swindon were unsure if the Heart of Wessex Day Ranger was valid for the journey and had to search out a Fares Manual to confirm it was. At ^14 it is ^1.60 cheaper than a return from Swindon so worth insisting on one.

The second concerns the automated announcements. The 08:20 from Swindon is formed by the 07:30 from Westbury. Owing to over-running engineering work it was late arriving at Swindon. Network Rail therefore took the sensible decision to run it into Platform 3 rather than the bay on Platform 2. However this prompted a plethora of automated announcements. First to advise that the terminating service would arrive at a different platform. Then that the Weymouth service would depart from a different platform. These were both repeated twice. Then as the train arrived passengers were advised to stand clear as the "train terminates here".  In between platform staff were making manual announcements regarding the Weymouth service. However the overall impression for the occasional traveller must have been one of organised chaos.

Those points made it was still a good day and hopefully the take up of the journey opportunities offered by the train will be noticed by the powers that be and feature in future timetables.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 18:41:22 »

I just thought I'd bump this up the list.. Since the second "meet" on August 21st is only two weeks away now (And I hope for better weather than today)  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 19:38:35 »

Me too. Thunder, lightning and torrential rain is not conducive to a relaxing riverside walk.

Just looking at my ticket options now.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 13:45:25 »

This is only a week away now.. So I thought it would be worth finding out who is intending to come along...
I will be going.. Smiley
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 17:13:49 »

I am likely to attend, provided my knee stops being painful.

What departure from Maidenhead?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 18:21:43 »

From the start of this thread....

This will be a trip to Bourne End via Maidenhead, a walk along the Thames Path to Marlow (Approx 3^ miles) where we shall stop for lunch in the Marlow Donkey pub (family and dog friendly), then train home. Those not wishing to do the walk can, of course, stay on the train to Marlow and await the walkers' arrival! Looking at train times, the ideal arrival into Bourne End will be 1147. That's the 1135 from Maidenhead. Plenty of connection opportunities from across the network.

So assuming it's not changed then I hope that it is still the plan...

Hope your knee feels better soon?  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 21:11:10 »

I'm a bit achey after walking from Ashton Court to Clifton via the Suspension Bridge. Twas uphill all the way. Think I knackered young Ollie as well!  Grin

A slight disappointment that we had no mass ascent of balloons this evening. Too windy. bignosemac's jinx continues. Five out of the last seven Balloon Fiestas I've attended and I've still yet to see a mass ascent from Ashton Court. Two years I didn't go and up they went.  Cry Red Arrows were cracking though.

Should be sufficiently recovered for next Sunday. Times as johoare re-posted, 1135 from Maidenhead. Connections from east or west available.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:18:30 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 21:42:37 »

I would love to be coming .... but we've extended our TransWilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership) support for the 07:30 Westbury to Swindon and 08:20 Swindon to Weymouth (as far as Westbury) to providing someonetwo at Weymouth from about 17:00 so that we can direct people to the 17:56 to Swindon.  We had 307 people to direct today, with the train dividing at Westbury, and with many people being very new to rail travel. The continuity of knowing that the same people would be around in the evening really seemed to help some of them.  And so it's "same again" next weekend and the following for me.

P.S. Good to meet a forum member at Weymouth on the return (you know who you are) ... sorry I had to be brief; there was that final flurry of "ah - a familiar face - YOU can tell us where to go";  the information available otherwise at Weymouth fell a bit short.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 22:03:58 »

If that was me, then it was good to see you albeit briefly, and I fully understand why you were preoccupied getting the masses onto the train home. Let's hope the remaining trains are as well patronised, and that the success encourages further development of the Trans Wilts.

It was great to see Weymouth station absolutely packed this evening, with a combination of Trans Wilts passengers and the excursion to Bristol filling the station. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 22:25:43 »

Indeed it was you, John.   

Arrival ...

Prior to departure ... this was just before we met - when everyone was waiting at platform 3 as shown on the electronic display ... then the stock came in to platform 1.

I'm delighted with the turnout ...

Edit to correct use of English
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:13:17 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 22:28:45 »

75 and growing waiting for the 08:20 from Swindon.

150 today!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: