09:52 London Paddington to Hereford
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 11:03:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[55] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[46] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating incident at Liskeard tonight  (Read 10597 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2011, 20:45:12 »

According to National rail enquiries a operating incident has occurred at Liskeard.
Because of this, buses are replacing trains between Plymouth and Bodmin Parkway, with journey times extended by up to 60 minutes. This will continue until further notice.All Penzance services currently starting/stopping at Plymouth.Anyone know what the operating incident is.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 21:17:36 »

Derailment I believe from another Forum.  150123 derailed on X-Over at Liskeard whilst crossing over to return to Gunnislake.
Network Rail vague terminologly again as anything that causes delays to trains could be termed an operating incident.   What is the secret as the reason will be splashed through the media anyway.
(But notjinh in the News of the World after this coming Sunday !!!)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 21:27:34 »

Probably because of the tendency of the public to seize on the word 'derailment' and immediately assume some kind of serious accident, rather than (I'm guessing) a minor derailment of an axle or two at low speed.

I was on a service once that got stuck behind a failed train between Didcot and Swindon - the issue was all dealt with with commendable promptness and after a short delay we used a crossover somewhere or other to get around the obstruction. The train manager did a good job of keeping everyone abreast of the situation, and advised us with the best of intentions that we would be running "wrong line" for a short distance until clear of the failed train. Those of us who understood railway terminology were fine, but it spooked several passengers who thought that was utterly unsafe and no doubt had visions of piling head-on into a train coming the other way.
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 21:27:42 »

Apparently the 150123 has derailed whilst using one of the crossovers at Liskeard.
grandsire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 21:29:41 »

Important message
From FGW (First Great Western) site  (anyone know why?)
 Thursday 07th July at 20:30

Train services between Plymouth and Penzance are being disrupted due to an operational incident involving an empty train service in the Liskeard area.

Disruption will continue for the rest of today and is likely to continue into tomorrow's service.

Replacement road transport has been ordered.

Any customers travelling on this route, who's journey is not essential is advised not to travel this evening.

For full details of how this may affect your journey, please visit the Live Updates page of this website.
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 21:31:35 »

The 150123 has derailed on one of the two crossovers.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 22:00:40 »

Three different threads on the same topic all started within a few minutes of each other - to try and keep things tidy I've merged everything together here, but retaining the original subject headings. Apologies if this thread looks a little disjointed as a result, but hopefully you should be able to keep track of what was posted there originally...
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 22:37:18 »

Looks like things are on the move as several services are showing as reinstated on the website, but I dare say there will be ongoing delays etc. as stock will not be where it should be

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 22:53:53 »

from sw gen
Single line working in operation between St. Budeaux and Liskeard. 2145 Penzance-Paddington sleepers estimated 90 late start.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 22:56:22 »

Wonder what the sleepers are doing?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:45 »

What I find interesting is that FGW (First Great Western) are obviously so short of stock that the Looe branch train has to doulble back to Gunnislake.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:32 »

Apparently the 150123 has derailed whilst using one of the crossovers at Liskeard.

Service was 5C51 1857 Liskeard - Plymouth ECS (Empty Coaching Stock), this was the unit off the 1729 Gsl - Lsk service.

What I find interesting is that FGW (First Great Western) are obviously so short of stock that the Looe branch train has to doulble back to Gunnislake.

The unit on the looe branch remains on the looe branch all day, and does not go to Gunnislake, in the evenings it however does return in service as 2103 Lsk - Ply, instead of Empty Stock.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:11:28 »

Why on earth shouldn't rolling stock covering other workings also fit in a trip to Gunnislake if that is efficient use of what stock is available and keeps it on the move rather than sitting in a bay at Plymouth?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:28 »

Working back to Plymouth as passenger train seems good use of stock.

I agree that stock should be used to best advantage but there is an interesting mathematical trade off between hours in use/miles run and time between failures. When Hull trains had 5 Meridians and used 4 then their
 reliability as measure in miles per 5 minute failure was the best of the modern DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) fleet Roger Ford Modern Railways annual survey). After they dropped one on the floor and wrote it off, and they were down for 4 for 4 the following year the relaibility plummeted.

That's why I'm not sure about about many of  what I call stock move diagrams like Great Malvern to Brighton which in my book is really two separate services. Which means if a unit is unavailable you lose two trains rather than one had there been two units on the diagram. One doing Great Malvern Bristol and one Bristol Brighton.

It would only require a few extra units which would have two benefits trains could be stengthened in the peak and a more frequent and reliable service could be run to many stations such a Melksham during the Off Peak.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 23:55:32 »

Apologies if this thread looks a little disjointed as a result, but hopefully you should be able to keep track ...

... and I thought my puns were bad ...  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: