Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:05:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bodmin and Wenford through tickets  (Read 5240 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2011, 16:06:52 »

Fare question .... How much is the add-on fare from stations in Cornwall please? Can't seem to find online.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 16:52:36 »

it should let you do it on any ticket booking website, just start typing bodmin and it should come up on a drop down option as you are typing..... i would give you a price but i dont know what station your coming from ?.... also i dont have the current aventix but if anyone has the new one its code L100.... this time last year it was an extra ^9 on a standard day return from plymouth... i dont know if this has changed?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 16:59:25 by relex109 » Logged
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 20:05:29 »

... From Perranwell or Truro would be ideal.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 18:04:42 »

My version of NFM (National Fares Manual) is slightly out of date, but it gives the price as a flat GBP 9.00 add-on to the appropriate fare for your journey to/from Bodmin Parkway.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 19:17:30 »

The add on fare is still ^9.

Perranwell - Bodmin Wenfd Rly Adult Off Peak Day Return should therefore be ^14.80.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 20:22:33 »

Thanks for the replies.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 17:28:12 »

Bizzare situation ... To get a Devon and Cornwall Railcard discount on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) sector of the journey, you have to split and buy a CDOP Return to Bodmin Parkway, then go to the Machine on P1 at Bodmin Parkway to buy the ^9 ticket for the B&W. If you go to any other station they cannot (or at least at Truro wouldn't) apply the discount to the NR part of the journey. BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) will not sell the B&W ticket over the counter either.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 21:20:21 »

I sort of understand why humans at Bodmin Parkway won't sell the Bodmin & Wenford fare. It is an add on fare after all. So it should only be sold in conjunction with a National Rail fare. That said, NFM08 will give the ^9 fare if you input BODMIN PARKWAY as your origin and BODMIN WENFD RLY as your destination. I assume therefore, that there is local instruction not to sell the add-on fare at Bodmin Parkway.

It doesn't surprise me that a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at Bodmin Parkway will sell the add on fare as a standalone ticket. I'm aware of a similar scenario at Southampton Central. The ticket office have been instructed not to sell a ticket from Southampton Central to East/West Cowes on the Isle of Wight as this too should only be an add on fare. Yett the TVMs at SOU are quite happy to sell you the ticket. Machines are only as intelligent as the person who programmed them!

That said, you should be allowed to buy the National Rail portion of the journey to include a railcard discount at any manned station and then purchase the non-discounted add on fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 23:11:47 »

but if you were at bodmin why not purchase from the railway itself?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:54:36 »

Because the B&W day rover fare is ^11.00 (or possibly ^11.50), so it's cheaper to buy the rail add-on.

I did something similar a couple of years ago where I managed to save a fair bit of dosh on a Worth Valley day rover ticket. Still had a railcard at the time (before I became too old and decrepit for a young person's) and spotted that if there was any National Rail element at all to the ticket then you got the railcard discount on the add-on as well as the NR» (Network Rail - home page) portion. Result was that I bought a CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) from Crossflatts (one station away from Keighley) to the KWVR from the booking office at Leeds, who were perfectly happy to sell it to me: it ended up being about half the price of the normal day rover fare with the same validity.

I did incur the displeasure of one of the KWVR ticket examiners, although he was forced to concede that what I had done was perfectly legitimate so there was no way he could charge me any more money. Bit ironic really, as I was with a group of mates travelling on Heritage Railway Association complimentary tickets who hadn't paid a penny, and I was the one who got grief for having paid half fare Wink
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 17:37:45 »

Thanks for the help on this ......... I obtained following telling the booking oiffice of the L100 code the necessary ^9 add on ticket at TRURO today!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: