Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:28:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Train driver caught reading newspaper at 60mph (25 July 2011)  (Read 17321 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:10 »

From the Mirror:
Train driver suspended after being caught reading newspaper at 60mph, on commuter train

With his paper spread across the dashboard of a speeding commuter train, a lone driver appears to take his eyes off the controls.

The terrifying image was taken as he raced out of a tunnel around 60mph ^ allegedly at the expense of passenger safety.

Instead of focussing on driving the train and the track signals ahead, he looked like he was catching up on the day^s news.

Now shocked bosses have suspended the First Great Western driver while they carry out an investigation.

Jim Hales, 64, who took the photo, said: ^I was completely stunned. It looks so dangerous. He was apparently responsible for driving a train full of people. That takes every ounce of someone^s concentration or else it could be a total disaster.^

The high-speed train, which had set off from Plymouth at 5.53am on July 4, is usually packed with hundreds of people by the time it reaches Paddington, London.

The shot was taken earlier this month at Coryton tunnel close to Dawlish, Devon, at 6.37am. First Great Western traced the driver using the train^s ID number ^ along with details provided by our witness.

One former train driver said: ^A driver should be constantly adjusting the speed of the train. They should also be on a constant look-out for signals, whether they are green or red. If a driver runs through a signal by accident then it could potentially cause the train to crash. It takes a driver^s full attention to drive safely.^

First Great Western said: ^First hand this photograph is frankly astonishing and appears to show behaviour that falls way short of the professional standards we expect from our train drivers. He has not driven a train since we were alerted and remains suspended.^

- DO you know this driver? Call our newsdesk free on 0800 282 591.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:49 »

A FGW (First Great Western) driver has been caught on camera reading a newspaper near Dawlish.

Note that the actual photo itself isn't on the link - I'm sure it will be printed somewhere soon.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/train-driver-seen-reading-paper-092129631.html

There are still a tiny minority of people who take risks that let the vast majority of the driving grade down.  For the record 'cab discipline' especially regarding mobile phones being switched off at all times when in the cab, has been a prominent topic in briefings, posters, and so on over the last few years.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:15:13 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:57:36 »

Sorry, Chris - you beat me to it by 39 seconds!  Feel free to merge...

Edit note: Topics now merged. CfN.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:08:09 by chris from nailsea » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:25 »

It is on Chris's Mirror link at the top of this thread.

Truly shocking, but we must be careful not to tar every driver. THey are a professional bunch.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 13:26:39 »

The Southall crash 19 September 1997 was in part due to the driver "packing his bag" also the AWS (Automatic Warning System) and ATP (Automatic Train Protection) were faulty

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 15:24:11 »

Small technical point... At Southall the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) was not faulty. It was switched off because driver Harrison was overdue for refresher training in its use.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 21:56:21 »

Photo in todays Mirror of the driver reading the paper! seen that whilst browsing round the papers at work on my break, we have in our staff room whatever other staff have left, and i was cutting it tight and didnt have time to get my own paper this morning!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 23:05:40 »

While not condoning a driver reading a newspaper I do object when newspapers use expressions like "speeding commuter train". There is no evidence he was running over line speed.

It's sloppy journalism.
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 00:06:15 »

There is also no evidence that he was atually 'reading' the paper.....

This is the problem with the "spotter police" they take a 1 second snap of a 12hour day and then cant wait to sell it if there is even the slightest hint that something is not right (even if they need to fib a bit to do this)

There are loads of reasons that could explain the picture:

The train is stood at a red
Folding the paper to swat a fly or wasp
Folding paper to plug a draughty window or door (the tunnel would have amplified this noise)
Folding paper to make a sunshade
Picking up a paper that had blown off the desk due to the suction of the tunnel or the harsh airflow that the HST (High Speed Train) power car A/Cs put out.

The cash hungry spotter fakes it completely........ Angry

In realty, not one of them are unsafe if the driver knows the road well. Drivers will regularly check their diagrams on the move to see if they are on time & scheduled to stop at the next station.

So on the face of it this is more than likely nothing unsafe or worth bleeting about, but since a snapper has snapped it they must get their blood money so they sell it to a tabloid and let the tabloid make up whatever headline they want  Angry Sad

....and people wonder why staff are often hostile towards spotters?
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 00:07:32 »

Pictures btw:

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 00:16:42 »

'Sprog' does make some possible alternative explanations, though I have to say the position of his hands and head does make it look like he's reading it, rather than about to swat a fly.  I guess the outcome of his suspension and subsequent hearings will decide whether he's guilty or not.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 00:51:44 »

The train is stood at a red

Whilst I generally agree with you it's not anything too much to worry about, this particular scenario is not applicable since there are no signals where the photo was taken.

It is my belief that he is reading the paper - the location of his hands suggests so. Do I care? - not particularly.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 00:54:47 »

to me if the train  was travelling at such speed, surely the picture would be blurry, and not so perfect.

photos of movement at speed will create slightly blurry effect. is there any evidence the train is moving, is there anyone else in control we cant see from that one photo? the zoomed in potentialy photoshopped picture above isnt strong enough evidence to me!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 00:57:34 »

Depends on the camera, there are some good cameras out there, a colleague of mine has one, and took pictures on an hst passing through Ealing BW and it came out very clear.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:46 »

I don't suppose there's a possibility that this driver was actually sat at the tail end of the train when the photo was taken? i.e. not actually driving it at all?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: