Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:36:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Train driver caught reading newspaper at 60mph (25 July 2011)  (Read 17322 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 07:06:44 »

White lights on, so this was the front end
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:02 »

Isn't there a "dead mans handle" that woudl make it impossible to use two hands to read a paper whilst the train was moving?

The driver certainy needs a talking to even if he is only guilty of alarming the public by looking like he is reading a newspaper at the controls, but  we should wait for some mroe facts before jumping to any other conclusions. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 10:23:03 »

So on the face of it this is more than likely nothing unsafe or worth bleeting about, but since a snapper has snapped it they must get their blood money so they sell it to a tabloid and let the tabloid make up whatever headline they want  Angry Sad

Rubbish - my money's on dismissal. He's definitely got a case to answer....
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 10:41:40 »

There is no dead mans 'handle', but there is a foot pedal they must keep depressed and release and re-apply every 60 seconds or so.

So on the face of it this is more than likely nothing unsafe or worth bleeting about, but since a snapper has snapped it they must get their blood money so they sell it to a tabloid and let the tabloid make up whatever headline they want  Angry Sad

Judge, Jury and Executioner....this is a persons livelihood you are writing off here in a single sentence.....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:07 »

He's definitely got a case to answer....

Not if he can answer it.
But there is the case that he has got his emplyers bad press. Suggest even handling a newspaper while in control of train is bad idea. You can be disciplined by most employers for bringing them into disrepute.

Any car driver doing that (opening a paper across their sterring wheel) even while stationary at traffic lights could expect a ticket from any passing police officer.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 13:59:28 »

Certainly looks bad, even if there is some inocent explanation.
IMHO (in my humble opinion), reading a newspaper is only acceptable if the train is stationary and expected to remain so for some time.
Ive seen drivers watching a DVD in the cab, or reading, fine IMHO on an engineering train that is stationary, with the brake on, but no way if moving.

I am aware of a case of a driver who APPEARED to be drinking beer in the cab, reported by a passenger. The police met the train at the next stop and interviewed and breath tested the driver.
The test was negative, and the driver stated that he regularly used a washed-out Grolsch beer bottle for drinking water.
A second beer bottle also containing water was in the drivers bag.
I was on the train and was asked to make a statement confirming that the driver had been seen filling beer bottles with water on the platform.
The train was cancelled and much delay caused.

I believe that a memo or instruction was issued shortly afterwards stating that bottles previously used for alcoholic drink should never be re-used for water or soft drinks.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 14:11:02 »

Drinking from a beer bottle in view of the public?  How blindingly obviously a bad idea is that?   Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 14:55:34 »

'Reading' a paper in full view of the public is about the same!
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 18:45:56 »

There is no dead mans 'handle', but there is a foot pedal they must keep depressed and release and re-apply every 60 seconds or so.

Judge, Jury and Executioner....this is a persons livelihood you are writing off here in a single sentence.....

Personally I think debate on the subject should be confined only to those of you who can say honestly you have never done anything remotely dangeous, illegal or silly like using your (non hands free) mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle. Which is far more dangerous than what is alledged to have happened here.

Trundling gently round the SW
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 19:14:14 »

to me if the train  was travelling at such speed, surely the picture would be blurry, and not so perfect.

photos of movement at speed will create slightly blurry effect. is there any evidence the train is moving, is there anyone else in control we cant see from that one photo? the zoomed in potentialy photoshopped picture above isnt strong enough evidence to me!

So you think it's possible to photoshop a newspaper in to the picture but at the same time not possible for a camera to shoot at 1/1000 of a second or faster? How much blur do you think a train travelling at no more than 60mph is going to create when photographed at shutter speeds of even 1/125 of a second? Why was I looking at the pics I was taking of a hovering Apache helicopter at the RIAT, miffed that I couldn't get a speed slow enough to create ANY motion blur in the main rotor but fast enough  to have the rest of the helicopter sharp because of camera shake?   

Other possibilities..... 
- He's just thrown up over the control panel and he's covering up the mess with a newspaper as the sight of the vomit might make him throw up again.

- He's covering the controls because he's just about to open a can of Coke that he knows only just fell on to the floor and it's going to spray everywhere when he opens it.

- He's gift wrapping the controls because he knows the driver taking over at Exeter is celebrating his x0th year of driving that day.

-It's a map, he's just checking where he is on the route.

- He's going to use it to shield his identity from the strange woman at Dawlish station that is always stalking him.

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 20:46:56 »

So you think it's possible to photoshop a newspaper in to the picture but at the same time not possible for a camera to shoot at 1/1000 of a second or faster?

A train travelling at 60mph will travel 1.056 inches in 1/1000th of a second. A digital camera's JPEG conversion algorithm will almost certainly reduce any blur to an imperceptible level.

Other possibilities..... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occams_razor

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 21:09:29 »

If it's any help, that definitely appears to be the north end of Coryton Tunnel, the second tunnel west from Dawlish. There's a viewpoint on the clifftop. If you type 'Coryton Cove, Dawlish' into Google Maps and click on the first option, you can see roughly where the photographer would have been. There's also a better view if you request street view on the map itself.

It shows the photographer wouldn't have been close enough to see what the driver was doing. I don't know enough about cameras to guess what effect the distance would have had on the image.
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 21:29:48 »

It shows the photographer wouldn't have been close enough to see what the driver was doing.

And the tunnel in the picture would indicate he'd have no time to see what the driver was doing to even decide to take the picture of it. It's a pretty unremarkable view and moment until you see the paper by chance when you are going through the pics once you've stuck them on the computer. Maybe the photographer regularly checks what the driver is doing or simply spotted it as he zoomed in to the front of the train to check for sharpness.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 05:29:30 »

The latter would be my guess,

Bear in mind the train is coming towards the photographer, hence the movement would be minimal, just the speed of the auto-focus would need to be quick
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:36 »

you cannot draw comparisions with driving a Train to a Motor Vehicle, Trains are not driven on line of sight but to signals, therefore any Driver with  route knowledge knows the speed restrictions and braking points etc .
Its a stupid thing to do and i wouldnt condone it, but people need to have some idea of what driving a train is all about before making stupid ill informed comments

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: