Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:26:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[94] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[73] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[49] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Server outage problem this morning  (Read 21704 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:05:59 »

The server on which the "Coffee Shop" is hosted may be unavailable for a period from lunchtime today.  I hope that any interruption to service will be a short one.

Update / news - please bookmark
http://www.wellho.net/share/coffeeshop.html
which is on a different domain / server (hosted in a different country, in fact) so will be available throughout.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:20:47 »

Issue resolved without any interruption of service.

It's still a good idea for regulars to bookmark the status page just in case of main server issues.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 15:59:49 »

Due to infrastructure issues, our server was offline for a couple of hours early this afternoon.   Sorry about the break in service - happy to be back  Wink

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 16:02:50 »

im getting no current running map, not sure if this is connected or google chrome having a moment
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 16:42:48 »

Running for me ... and from the link:

17:00 Brighton to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:29

This train will be started from Barnham.It will no longer call at: Brighton, Hove, Shoreham-By-Sea and Worthing.This is due to train crew having been unavailable earlier. Last Updated: 26/09/2011 15:53

Is it just me, or has this particular train been a frequent victim at its Eastern end of late?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 18:30:47 »

And again ...

17:00 Brighton to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:29

This train will be started from Barnham.It will no longer call at: Brighton, Hove, Shoreham-By-Sea and Worthing.This is due to an earlier trespass incident. Last Updated: 29/09/2011 15:42

Looking back at the old diagrams from the top of these pages, it appears that the 17:00 has failed to leave Brighton on 1st, 3rd, 5th, 15th, 24th and 30th August, and on 2nd, 16th, 26th and 29th September.  On one extra date (12th August) , it did leave Brighton but didn't get beyond Salisbury.  Is all this lot just co-incidence, or is this train "top of the chops"?  I note the the 17:00 from Brighton is followed by another train at 17:03 that follows it as far as Havant.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 19:02:57 by grahame » Logged

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 20:15:42 »

You aren't alone in thinking this Graham.  A couple of years ago, I made the same observation with the Brighton services - ending/starting short at either end.  It happened for a little while but then didn't occur so often.

I'm not sure what the consequences would be if a Brighton service were to run late and/or get stuck somewhere outside FGW (First Great Western)/SWT (South West Trains) territory?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 20:26:17 »

A big taxi bill getting crew to/from the unit for starters!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 17:52:21 »

One of our servers will be upgraded overnight sometime within the next week, and you may notice the disruption map, qr codes, many images and a few other features not being available. 

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 15:52:12 »

Is this still going on?  It seems on odd occasions over the last few days I've not had an email about a new reply to a topic despite the "notify" option being on. It's not consistent. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Can't see a pattern to it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 16:27:58 »

Is this still going on?  It seems on odd occasions over the last few days I've not had an email about a new reply to a topic despite the "notify" option being on. It's not consistent. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Can't see a pattern to it.

Nope - it was out for a few minutes on the night after the message, and that was all.  We had a database problem that I caught within a few minutes the other evening, caused by our MySQL tables filling the server's disc;  I've deleted some old error logs and got some disc space back, but with over 100,000 posts the site's rather bigger than was planned when it was started.   The other thing is that night owls may have issues at 10 to 20 past 3 in the mornings, and there are additional backups every couple of hours during the day too when it may be slower to a minute or so.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:16:43 »

Server outage for approx 100 minutes during the night - sorry about that to any night owls. An automated procedure that should not be visitor-visible left the system offline as far as I can see so far.  The status page at http://www.wellho.net/share/status.html (on a different server to the coffee shop!) is used to log problems ... feel free to bookmark it.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:42:14 »

It demonstrated a weakness in the new IOS 6 software on iPhones/iPads.  When trying to look at the site during the outage it said you couldn't because the device was not connected to the internet!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:44 »

I was one of the night-owls, doing some historical browsing of forum threads. Slightly non-plussed when I starting getting 'unable to connect' returns. I always think initially that the problem is my end.

Glad to hear it was nothing major.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 17:01:42 »

I was also a night owl. Woke at around 0430 couldnt get back to sleep so was going to browse some old threads that may be interesting from before my time began on here.
Absolutely typical waking that early on my day off,, yet when I need to wake at around 6am I really struggle getting up!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: