Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 22:56:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[145] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[92] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Server outage problem this morning  (Read 21706 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 14:19:45 »

The service has blown a second time, and I'm investigating further - potentially a deeper problem that I had thought / hoped.  At present, I'm seeing some of the results of a problem but not necessarily the route cause and I ned to continue to investigate.   Please bear in mind you may see intermittent service over coming hours.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 14:30:46 »

Test post ... (you may see a few of these) ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 16:43:55 »

Ok - I think I have some clues as to what was happening, but I'll spare you the long technical explanation.   I'm fairly sure the fix applied has worked, but still looking / exploring as to why the fix was needed - if there's some underlying issue that could cause other "funnies".

Please carry on posting / using the forum as usual.  I have good reason to believe that posts will not be lost even if it goes belly up again, and if posts are lost it would only be a few minutes worth.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 21:54:49 »

As ever we give Graham a round of applause for what seems to have been a speedy resolution. (Touch wood).

Having had problems with forum software myself earlier this week I know what a minefield it can be - and an exciting challenge too - to fix it.  However at the back of your mind there is always a feeling that while you are doing your upmost to fix it there are people clicking impatiently on their mice trying to use the forum. 

However you will notice there were regular updates at the head of the page - how often do we comment on information being lacking at times of rail disruption....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 00:14:45 »

Indeed - many thanks to grahame for his sterling work in resolving these issues.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 07:00:49 »

As ever we give Graham a round of applause for what seems to have been a speedy resolution. (Touch wood).

Having had problems with forum software myself earlier this week I know what a minefield it can be - and an exciting challenge too - to fix it.  However at the back of your mind there is always a feeling that while you are doing your upmost to fix it there are people clicking impatiently on their mice trying to use the forum. 

However you will notice there were regular updates at the head of the page - how often do we comment on information being lacking at times of rail disruption....

I'm fairly sure the direct problem is fixed.  I do, however, remain less sure of why it occurred, and repeated. I think I know but there's an element of doubt that means I'll keep monitoring carefully for a while and leave database backups (which may effect performance noticeably) in place for a while.

Keeping the customer informed during disruption is something that I have learnt from the rail industry - often as examples of how not to do it.   First test when I noticed the forum was down was to see if it was general and at the server end or something local to my internet connection / browser, or specific to my login.   Once generally known, then I've learned the stages need to be:
a) Take action to stop any immediate problems getting worse
b) Let people know that there's an issue, and give an update time
c) Do some work to(wards) get(ting) the thing fixed
d) Update by the time already notified - even if it's just a further time for update
e) goto c)

Users sending me messages "do you know the forum is down" are helpful at the early stage - that may be how I learn of the problem, and also help me to be made quickly aware that it's a more general issue.  Messages with clues as to what happened / odd things noticed may be real gems in telling me something that I hadn't seen / noticed that's a big clue. But once the problems's noted and described, they become heartwarming in that I know people care, but a diversion from actually fixing the problem.    Thus the status pages and reports.

It actually costs a few minutes to do the status pages - and I have the luxury of being invisible / isolated from our users while I'm doing it.  And I don't have the mandated deadlines and the serious issue of people building up to get home that the rail industry has.  Additionally, forum users are well read, bright people and well know to us as friends for the most part with whom the sharing of a degree of background technical information and probabilities works well. These are not necessarily the metrics of rail users in general, so whether the technique described and used would work in the case of rail delays, I'm not sure.  "We don't know if we're going to have to cancel the 12:02 to Westbury - we will give you an update by 11:30" seems sensible but will everyone understand, and does the time taken in getting the message out mean there's less chance of it running due to a loss of fixing time?

Anyway ... I am still keeping a watching brief after yesterday ... and the status has been updated to reflect that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:11:50 by grahame » Logged

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 11:44:11 »

...yes thanks Grahame.  I got the 'Wellhouse' message at one point during logging on and that kept me well informed.  One small observation if I may.  The use of the yellow text in the forum header warning message is very difficult to read against the light green background (well at least to my older eyes).  Any chance it could be a darker colour?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 13:10:16 »

...yes thanks Grahame.  I got the 'Wellhouse' message at one point during logging on and that kept me well informed.  One small observation if I may.  The use of the yellow text in the forum header warning message is very difficult to read against the light green background (well at least to my older eyes).  Any chance it could be a darker colour?

Good point on the colour.  I just dropped in a fixed colour, overlooking that we have multiple styles and it may not have contrasted well in others.  I'll bear that in mind in future; in the immediacy I overlooked it and I'll take out the colour now as it's a less "hit em hard" message today.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 16:30:18 »

Good point on the colour.  I just dropped in a fixed colour, overlooking that we have multiple styles and it may not have contrasted well in others.  I'll bear that in mind in future; in the immediacy I overlooked it and I'll take out the colour now as it's a less "hit em hard" message today.
Thanks for that.  I can read it now.......... Wink
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:16 »

Graham - I didn't realise for most of yesterday that the coffeeshop was up, because www.firstgreatwestern.info itself was down (index page only). That seems to be still true. I'd imagined that was the easier part to get going again.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 12:52:07 »

Graham - I didn't realise for most of yesterday that the coffeeshop was up, because www.firstgreatwestern.info itself was down (index page only). That seems to be still true. I'd imagined that was the easier part to get going again.

Ah - thanks for spotting that.  It shows why we need regression testing to spot these things, but then there is so much more we could do and resources are limited.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:21 »

OK ... main page pointing to the Forum now (perhaps that's a good idea for the domain anyway) ... and acronym and abbreviations back.   I changed some passwords in my work on Saturday and overlooked that front system ...

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 15:24:20 »

Whatever you guys did it seems to have made the various pages on teh forum load a lot more quicker than they used to.

Anway thanks Grahame for the hard work put in to fix the fault
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 18:03:28 »

Due to networking problems at our hosting centre, our server was inaccessible for around 40 minutes ... just back and I'm testing, but as it was an service-provider wide problem I don't anticipate any local difficulties.   It MAY go up and down again a couple of time if they've just got a temporary fix or if they've cured a symptom not the root cause.

UPDATE - it was out for 55 minutes - 16:58 to 17:53.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 08:11:26 »

Overnight update ... a confirmation that the server ran perfectly all day yesterday ... it's just that it was unreachable for almost an hour because of network problems which effected all (?) sites hosted at the network centre where it's located. And, yes, I appreciate that such network problems made it useless for its intended purpose during that period.

We have backups, etc, and should a failure persist for longer in the future, we have the capability of being back on line elsewhere within 24 hours.  News is usually updated at http://melksh.am/status - and if there are wider problems check @transwilts, @wellho

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: