Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:38:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up your seat to a pregnant lady  (Read 6887 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2007, 11:47:16 »

A heavily pregnant woman was turned away from a train service because staff said it was overcrowded - despite being able to see space in the carriages (link below.)
http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=16604907&folderPk=89126&pNodeId=163047

Bath office worker Kieshia Chun suffered a panic attack on the platform after being told her train was full by a member of staff who said it wasn't his problem.

The 22-year-old is eight months pregnant and uses the train to get from Bath to her home in Weston-super-Mare.

Ms Chun later called First Great Western to ask for a refund on her weekly ticket.

She was told she would receive a return call in 24 hours but , despite following her phone call with a letter to the company , has heard nothing in response more than a week later.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:02:42 »

This is the kind of thing that makes me angry with FGW (First Great Western). You've got the uncaring conductor, and the uncaring company, painting a dreadful picture of FGW as a whole. I've seen this 'not our problem' attitude from FGW ever since they took over the franchise, and I don't think I've ever seen it from Wessex before when they were in charge.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:13:59 »

FGW (First Great Western) have now apologised (link below.)
http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=200267&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144916&contentPK=16664941

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 22:56:46 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Some commuters don't give up their seats for pregnant women because they fear offending someone who is just overweight, it has emerged. Here, expectant mothers give tips on how to tell the difference.
It's a minefield of mixed signals, indecision, guilt and offence. All played out painfully in public on a crowded bus or train.
Some people are just selfish, yes, but the average commuter would probably give up his or her seat for a pregnant woman, with good grace. It's just not that straightforward.
For a start, he might not have noticed her, and is instead lost in a book or World Cup supplement. Few people repeatedly scan for those more in need of a seat at every stop. And where does his area of responsibility end - shouting distance?
Then there's that nagging doubt - is she pregnant, fat, or just wearing a baggy top?
Whatever the discomfort of offending a pregnant woman by staying seated, is it preferable to the excruciating awkwardness of effectively telling a woman, within earshot of about 20 people, that her tummy is so inflated it looks as if there's a baby inside?
The same dilemmas apply to seated women, of course, but society's expectation to be chivalrous still falls more heavily on men. And women, perhaps, are more adept at spotting the signs.
No wonder some passengers are frozen by agonising indecision. A survey by gurgle.com, a website owned by Mothercare, says 84% of pregnant women regularly have to stand - and one of the reasons under discussion on its messageboard was that seated commuters don't want to offend the non-pregnant. To help make things clear, Mothercare sells "Baby on Board" badges.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 23:01:23 »

"I'd rather see a pregnant woman standing, than a fat woman sitting down crying!"

Jimmy Carr

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:36:39 »

Perhaps you were taught chivalry?   Beware - you could cause distress by offering your seat ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/christina-kenny/being-mistaken-for-a-pregnant-lady_b_5669880.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 23:26:31 »

I have been in this situation a few times. It's not a great one, notably the last time this happened, the conversation went a little like this

"Would you like my seat to sit down?"

"Why don't you just say it? I'm ****ing fat?!"

"No. I was offering a Lady my seat because it's good manners and the right thing to do. And I like to think I am polite and have good manners. My parents would too. But it looks like I went to too much ****ing trouble and I don't so no-one wins!"

*Whacks the volume on MP3 right up*

There are also 2 sides to this one. On the bad days where I cannot stand for too long and I sit in a Priority Seat and/or near to the toilet. Another occasion I remember very well I was requested in no uncertain terms to move because "My friend is clearly pregnant" Whilst it's not my place to judge whether that was the case or not. The tone in which I was asked was not one I approved of. Several eyebrows were raised when I declined the request without reason. All I said was:

"No."

This took the lady aback. Clearly she wasn't expecting that answer.

"Are you completely thick? Do you not understand? Move. Now"

I reached into my top pocket and pulled out my railcard:

"I have one of these things if that's what you mean... And I moved as you requested by taking this out of my pocket. Happy now?!"

Whilst some maintain what I did was just asking for trouble. To an extent I agree. But there are ways and means of asking for something. If you're just rude, snotty and in someones face. Not everyone will tolerate it.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 02:26:05 »

I reached into my top pocket and pulled out my railcard:

"I have one of these things if that's what you mean...

You would also have been correct if you had pointed out that you had no choice but be in that condition, but that the day had probably been indulging in intentional activity to render her thus ...

You also have the example of the house of commons / minister for equality on your side:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2464452/Pregnant-minister-Jo-Swinson-forced-stand-PMQs.html

As David Cameron took questions in the Commons at midday every seat was taken, leaving a large group of MPs (Member of Parliament) standing by the main doors.

Miss Swinson, who is due to give birth on Christmas Day, was among them.

But none of the MPs sitting just feet away offered her a seat ^ to the surprise of Westminster observers.

James Forsyth, political editor of The Spectator, wrote on Twitter: ^Quite remarkable that no MP has offered Jo Swinson, who is seven months pregnant, a seat.

However aides to Miss Swinson claimed the idea that she was not capable of standing was 'sexist'.

A source close to the minister said: ^The suggestion somehow that people should be outraged on her behalf is ridiculous. The idea that just because she is seven months pregnant she has lost all ability to stand on her two feet or fend for herself is quite sexist.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:45:51 »

I wonder if, on that occasion, her husband Duncan Hames had a seat?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
tom m

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:59:31 »

I think London underground have the right idea in offering free badges that way there is no doubts if anyone is wearing one. Not every pregnant woman travelling on the tube/bus might want to wear one but it can help that awkward conversation.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 07:08:51 »

Perhaps for "The Lighter Side" but never the less giving rise to serious thought ... a party story told in my youth - "way back when", when Fish and Chips were the junk food to plump you up, and seriously overweight people were a rarity.

A mother is concerned that her son is getting overweight, and has the family cut down on Fish and Chipes and start eating more Fish fingers, boiled potatoes, peas, and cabbage. She points out a fat man in the street one day - a spare tyre flopping lazily over his belt - and says to her son "that's how you will turn out if you eat too much fatty food".

Travelling home on the bus one day, the son sees a woman who's heavily pregnant, goes up to her and with a cheeky grin says "I know what you've been doing" ...

Readers will appreciate I'm not a comedian and don't deliver jokes well.   This one - perhaps politically incorrect - does have that serious veneer in highlighting certain issues.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:58 »

I think London underground have the right idea in offering free badges that way there is no doubts if anyone is wearing one. Not every pregnant woman travelling on the tube/bus might want to wear one but it can help that awkward conversation.

I think it's a "no win" however you do (or don't do) it.     Idealised, people should not have to prove or show in any way that they need that little bit of extra consideration / space.  And whilst attempts have been made to reduce / simplify the requirement to show / confirm the need at the time of use, I fear they must remain to avoid the system being abused by lots of Mr I. Wannaseats  and Mrs I. Paidforthis pushing in front of those for whom the extra consideration is a requirement.    The modern system of keeping waiting (even at terminals) until a handful of minutes before their train leaves before allowing boarding to start makes for a real "survival of the fittest", which doesn't help.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: