Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:19:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock for the Dawlish Airshow Thurs 18 August 2011  (Read 6754 times)
159jim

View Profile Email
« on: August 15, 2011, 14:44:48 »

Hi

What exact stock will the working for the Dawlish Airshow this year, since the 67s and 57s have gone? Ive heard lots of rumors about lots of different stock doing it, including HSTs (High Speed Train), Ive even heard 159s will be doing shuttles!

P.S. It would be nice to see actual 158s on the Sea Wall on Thursday..... Wink

Thanks,
Jim.

Moderator note: Edited to fix date in thread title.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 19:45:13 by bignosemac » Logged
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 19:57:10 »

hello mr blue shirt as salisbury last friday morning  Tongue

that is an interesting rumour, a hst would surly be the most likely option, someone with more recent knowledge will know how fgw are doing for units you could see just normal units in , multiple, a 158 or a few 158's i doubt, they tend to keep them out of devon now dont they?... im not sure if they still do the cardiff to paignton service anymore?

as for the 159's  Roll Eyes well if IF and i doubt it that happened i cant see swt running it as route knowledge has probably expired now after a few years,also the rsp will have been altered accordingly after services were cut past exeter so unless fgw hire a unit or two off them....but then fgw staff wont be signed for the class 159 so no i doubt it

oh and while the virgin thunderbirds have gone, fgw do have class 57's and day coaches ............

Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 20:18:41 »

2 class 159 are being hired from SWT (South West Trains) that day, I can't remember the exact diagrams but they are moving between Taunton, Cardiff and Weymouth.  Staff from Exeter has apparently been refreshing the last couple of weeks to run them.  Something similar to what they did last year, but on different diagrams.

As per the extra units this year, they are 2  2x150's doing shuttle services between EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains).  In addition, some CrossCountry services are stopping additionally at Dawlish and a few HST (High Speed Train)'s are also calling.  There is no extra HST around this year, just the extra 150's.  And then most of the normal diagrams are strengthened to run as 3 or 4 car services.

And as per Class 158's on the seawall these days, 2C67 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to PGN (10.50 at Dawlish and the backworking 2U20 at 13.18) are usually formed of a 158+153.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 20:43:38 »

i thought only a couple of fgw staff worked 159's because of the weekly penzance working.... why would they spend money for one day ... why not just hire in some 158's from swt? doesnt make sence to me but hey ho
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 23:56:52 »

And as per Class 158's on the seawall these days, 2C67 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to PGN (10.50 at Dawlish and the backworking 2U20 at 13.18) are usually formed of a 158+153.

More often than not it is 150+153. However this will be formed of a 159 on the day of the airshow.

159 also working 0840 Bristol - Weymouth and 1110 return, 1655 Filton - Westbury then 1838 Westbury - Cheltenham (via Melksham I assume) and 2100 Cheltenham - Bristol.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:38:35 »

... then 1838 Westbury - Cheltenham (via Melksham I assume) ...

We live in hope ... but that runs via Keynsham.   The previous service from Westbury via Melksham is at 07:02, but the following one does not leave until 19:32.   Bit of a gap  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:16 »

i thought only a couple of fgw staff worked 159's because of the weekly penzance working.... why would they spend money for one day ... why not just hire in some 158's from swt? doesnt make sence to me but hey ho
the weekly PNZ working ended over a year ago! Bristol guards have been learning 159's, it's only a very basic conversion course from what I've heard.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 19:29:21 »

the weekly PNZ working ended over a year ago! Bristol guards have been learning 159's, it's only a very basic conversion course from what I've heard.

yes sorry my point on the penzance working was that even when it was running i doubt that many fgw staff would have been trained for them
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 21:00:53 »

It's a 20 min conversion from 158 to 159 as they are almost identical.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 13:19:17 »

More often than not it is 150+153. However this will be formed of a 159 on the day of the airshow.
I've seen it as a 150 only once, and I see this train most days, it was booked as the normal formation yesterday and thus formed, the 159's were only working some CDF-TAU» (Taunton - next trains) and weymouth services.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 15:38:27 »

Fair enough, maybe it's changed. When i've travelled on it it was a 150/2 + LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 153.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: