Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:47:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Growth in rural line traffic  (Read 9030 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 16:06:11 »

But is the capacity there?

More generally, on rural routes their may not be the track capacity, but as the trains are currently so short, they ought to be the routes where an extra carriage could be added relatively easily. 

One of McNulty's recomendations was that UK (United Kingdom) trains need to be longer (therefore getting better productivity out of the path and the driver).

Longer trains and more passengers ought to be able to improve the economics of branchlines without the kind of huge investments in capacity needed where mainlines are at maximum capacity.   
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 20:33:07 »

I was on the Falmouth Line on Monday, both Trains on the Branch were Class 150 (2 car units), hopefully this is to become the Standard.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 20:40:51 by smokey » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 20:35:09 »

I was on the Falmotuh Line on Monday, both Trains on the Branch were Class 150 (2 car units), hopefully this is to become the Standard.

150128 and 150232 according to my notes from my travels! I traveled on the line on Monday also.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 21:15:14 »

The suggestion of a Sunday service in the Winter does not seem to have come to anything (Nothing on Journey Planner) and which could perhaps be justified in view of this growth.   Costs would no doubt preclude this.
The topic was discussed earlier on the Cornwall Board.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 21:15:54 »

Falmouth currently has all year round sunday services.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
jester

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 00:08:12 »

It just doesnt start early enough in the day on a sunday. By the time you get to Truro for a connection its midday. This is what needs addressing.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 06:18:10 »

It just doesnt start early enough in the day on a sunday. By the time you get to Truro for a connection its midday. This is what needs addressing.

Any idea why it doesn't start earlier?
1. Lack of availability of the line to the train operator?
2. A theory / case made that no-one would use it?
3. Past trials that didn't generate as much traffic as was hoped?
4. Not in the SLC2 and no-one has stepped forward to subsidise a presumed loss?

It's interesting to see that the 09:08 Portsmouth to Cardiff on Sundays is noted "Seat Reservations Recommended" ...

Serious comments / thoughts welcomed on this as a general subject

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:37 »

The later start on a Sunday is to allow Network Rail daylight patrolling time in Winter and dates right back to the introduction of all year Sunday Services in, I think, 2002.     

Given the massive amount of maintenance work done since then, and the great increase in passenger numbers, hopefully this can be looked at again in the new franchise.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:40 »

The later start on a Sunday is to allow Network Rail daylight patrolling time in Winter and dates right back to the introduction of all year Sunday Services in, I think, 2002.     

Given the massive amount of maintenance work done since then, and the great increase in passenger numbers, hopefully this can be looked at again in the new franchise.

Thanks - that sounds to be a logical explanations and mirrors what I had heard with regard to the Heart of Wessex line to Weymouth.  First arrival in Weymouth - 10:42 in summer, mid afternoon(?) in winter.

A silly follow up question ... (and I think you're asking it to some extent, Richard) - is such daylight patrolling really needed these days?   I'm minded that the first Bristol to London via Bath expresses leave soon after 07:30 and I would have thought that there would be more rather than less need to check out higher speed lines.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 13:05:05 »

Daylight patrolling seems to be an anacronysm, how do continental operators with their consistent identical seven day timetabling perform this function?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 13:26:36 »

Daylight patrolling seems to be an anacronysm, how do continental operators with their consistent identical seven day timetabling perform this function?

Well the French at least have a close down in the middle of the day for patrolling - known as 'white space', IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Our own WCML (West Coast Main Line) has 'daylight floodlighting' being progressively fitted at all the major junctions, to allow examination of critical areas overnight - and far more use is intended of track recording cameras mounted on in service trains, eg the 379s on Anglian routes being the first with OHLE cameras, and low level forward facing TV...

Paul
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 13:23:50 »

The 90.6% increase on Truro-Falmouth line,

Would that increase be BEFORE this years New Truro Gate line?

Allegedly, 600+ 'NEW' journeys per day have been counted since gatelines were installed.  Not that I am accusing the good folk of Falmouth and Pernryn of fare dodging :-)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 20:53:56 »

No need to.  Lips sealed

Chris.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 21:59:41 »

how are station usage figures counted at stations without barriers? is it just from point to point ticket sales?
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 00:11:13 »

Yes, with some estimation required, for example to cover the number of journeys made on season tickets & tickets with non-specific destinations. More details can be found in http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/stn_usage_report_0910.pdf.

These figures are sometimes supplemented by real counts at stations and on-train. Neither method is perfect.  Undecided
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: