14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:41:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Mainline: Nice & Fast!  (Read 109480 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2012, 16:49:14 »

Passengers have been deserting Virgin and LM (London Midland - recent franchise) in their droves. Passengers on Chiltern Mainline are up 53% - a jaw dropping figure in the current economic climate.

Nicely done quoting a figure like that without context. The 53% refers to Solihull station only. The only source of that figure I can find is from a blog post (see below). Even then that is way more than the increase in official station usage figures. The latest figures released in February 2012 for the year to April 2011 show that Solihull's footfall was 1,535,210. Up from the previous year's figure of 1,487,994. An increase of 6.99%. Now of course passengers using Chiltern at Solihull could have increased by 53% and that could be over a different time period than station usage statistics, but without a source it's difficult to take Btline's figure seriously. Particularly when he states that the 53% refers to Chiltern Mainline.

Some services are now so packed that Anytime fares will have to increase by ^10 later this year to prevent sardine conditions, albeit a modest increase compared to Virgin's sky high prices and draconian restrictions.

That really is badly out of context. How can you compare Chiltern's Anytime fare with Virgin's 'sky high prices and draconian restrictions'? The correct comparison is with Virgin's Anytime fare which has no restrictions, draconian or otherwise.  Roll Eyes I'll  slightly concede the point about 'sky high' though. ^154 (Virgin Anytime Return) is a bit steep compared to ^95 (Chiltern Anytime Return). BUT if you're comparing price only then London Midland comes out on top with an Anytime Return of ^65.

Do note also that Chiltern's Anytime Return has gone through two price increases since September 2011. From May 20th it will have increased ^20 from ^75 to ^95. That's a 26.7% increase in just 8 months, and you call it modest Btline? Over the same period Virgin's Anytime return will have increased by 3.6% and London Midland's by 0%.
(Fares information from previous, current and the next National Fares Manuals)

What was your source please?

Btline's source appears to be a blog post here: http://birmingham2london.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/more-good-news-from-chiltern-railways.html There's very little information as to who the writer of the blog is.

Btline appears to have lifted text, rewritten bits of it and hasn't attributed the source. Fine if Btline wrote the blog post himself, borderline plagiarism if he didn't.  Roll Eyes Undecided

I can find no direct information from Chiltern Railways regarding the list of improvements Btline lifted from the blog post so until such time as Chiltern explicitly state all these improvements are coming it would, I believe, be merely conjecture.

I suspect a bastardised press release / briefing.

Although as always with BTLine, slightly exaggerated.....(e.g. headline % only at one station, not in total)

Slightly exaggerated? You are too kind ChrisB.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 18:03:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2012, 17:26:23 »

Btline's source appears to be a blog post here: http://birmingham2london.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/more-good-news-from-chiltern-railways.html There's very little information as to who the writer of the blog is.

I know & can vouch for the blogger.....

Btline appears to have lifted text, rewritten bits of it and hasn't attributed the source. Fine if Btline wrote the blog post himself, borderline plagiarism if he didn't.  Roll Eyes Undecided

Borderline plagiarism I reckon. I read the blog just after it was posted last night and conversed with him about it. THe only thing I didn't do was ask him his source as I assumed Chiltern had put out a press release. Assuming you've checked Chiltern's website press release page and there's nowt there, I'll ask him tonight - I'm sure he'll be informative about it....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2012, 17:31:46 »

Sorry, forgot to add the link. http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/317382-chiltern-plans-mainline-growth-but-warns-fares-will-rise.html

Don't you think it's an excellent achievement? Have scanned the above, but it seems rather negative to me.
I think these passengers rises are amazing, and relevant to FGW (First Great Western) territory with the forthcoming Evergreen 3!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2012, 17:47:32 »

For those that don't wish to go through the full registration process (which is free) to read the full article Btline has just linked to, I've taken the trouble.

From TheBusinessDesk.com

CHILTERN Railways^ Mainline services to London have continued to prove popular with Birmingham^s business community with the company seeing a 41% year-on-year growth in passenger numbers in the six months since launch.

Such is the growth, that the rail company has announced it will introduce extra capacity on the service from later this year.

However, it has said ticket prices will have to rise in order to fund a programme of improvements.

Figures released by the company show passengers using the Mainline service from Solihull and Warwick Parkway have also grown during the first six months, up by a respective 53% and 32% year-on-year.

Improvements planned for the remainder of this year include:
^    A new, completely refurbished additional ^Silver^ train will be operational from December.
^    Chiltern^s current intercity-style silver trains will be refurbished and fitted with automatic doors.  The first of these updated trains will arrive later this month.
^    Silver trains will be lengthened by a carriage by the end of the year providing 70 more seats per train.
^    Free Wi-Fi on the silver trains will be upgraded to ensure faster connections.
^    Onboard catering will be overhauled.
^    Birmingham Moor Street will gain a bar/restaurant.
^    Car parks will be expanded accommodate the growth in passenger numbers. 
o    A new parking deck at Solihull will open this month, creating 163 additional spaces.
o    A new parking deck will also open at Warwick Parkway, delivering 222 additional spaces.  To provide sufficient capacity during the build, Chiltern has already opened a temporary car park at the station.
^    All West Midlands to London services available via the company^s smartphone app, allowing passengers to move away from paper tickets altogether.

Thomas Ableman, Chiltern^s commercial director, said: ^We^re absolutely delighted to announce our 2012 improvements at the same time as publishing record results. 

^Mainline was created in Birmingham by the business community and our figures prove this type of service is what the market wants.  Our 2012 improvements are in response to customer feedback and we^ll continue to listen and innovate as Mainline grows.^

As with the ^250m investment in Mainline, the 2012 improvements will be funded without taxpayer support.

However, the company said that as it received no Government subsidy, it would have to put up peak fares in order to support the new investment.

This means the Anytime ticket for passengers arriving in London before 10am will increase by ^10 to ^95 (^90 from Leamington Spa) from May 20.  The firm said it still believed the new ticket offered value for money.

Off-peak and super off-peak fares are not affected by the changes and remain at ^50 (^45 from Leamington Spa) and ^25 respectively.

No reason now to doubt the veracity of the story and the list of upcoming improvements, but as yet, and as far as I can ascertain, Chiltern haven't said anything or issued a press release. A slightly obscure Business website seems a bit of a strange place to have these improvements announced.

You'll also note I've not selectively rewritten or quoted out of context and I have included the source. It's not difficult.  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 17:54:36 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2012, 17:52:43 »

You'll note I have included the source. it's not difficult.  Lips sealed

Sorry, I forgot. I was too excited by the proposals and jawdropping figures!  Cry

I prefer summaries - who wants to read all the spin in that article. Grin Glad you believe me now.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2012, 18:00:13 »

Glad you believe me now.

I believe the article now that I've read it at source. I didn't believe your additional hyperbole and lack of context for facts and figures.

If you get a little excited about things like this, do please consider this forum's wider readership. Much better to be factual and accurate and quote source material then add your personal opinions.

Are you also excited about the jawdropping price increase on the Birmingham to London Chiltern Anytime Return? Up 26.7% since September 2011.....  Shocked Tongue

You'll note I have included the source. it's not difficult.  Lips sealed

Lawks. Even I'm being selectively rewritten.....  Shocked Roll Eyes Sad
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 18:22:54 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2012, 18:03:50 »

This is excellent news, and shows what can be done without demanding public cash - I hope. I am perplexed by the logic that too many passengers must mean higher fares. OK, you have to lease a new carriage to get an extra 70 seats per train, which costs money, but unless I've missed something, you get 70 extra fares per train.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2012, 18:34:09 »

OK, you have to lease a new carriage to get an extra 70 seats per train, which costs money,

Will it cost Chiltern money though? The current Mk3 spares they intend to use are already owned by Chiltern's parent company Arriva Trains UK (United Kingdom), the UK arm of DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Regio.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2012, 18:54:49 »

The mouth watering car parking expansions will also get bums on seats! People will switch to rail if they know they can park without the stressful drive around, searching for a space, mopping their brow as the departure time approaches...

Chiltern currently get passengers from Shropshire at Warwick Parkway, who knows where they'll extend their sphere now...!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2012, 19:14:41 »

Btline, you are Tom Ableman, and I claim my five pounds.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2012, 19:33:10 »

OK, you have to lease a new carriage to get an extra 70 seats per train, which costs money, but unless I've missed something, you get 70 extra fares per train.
Useful extra capacity in the peaks but off peak the 70 extra seats aren't needed in my experience. I recently travelled on one of the Loco Hauled 'Silver Trains' which are being lengthened for a round trip from London to Birmingham and back. I took the 1337 service from London Marylebone and it was very lightly loaded, that was despite some very cheap fares, my ticket was 25p each way. The 1555 return service was much busier, but still plenty of seats to go round.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2012, 20:38:44 »

Btline, you are Tom Ableman, and I claim my five pounds.

<Like>  Grin

http://www.transportxtra.com/magazines/new_transit/news/?ID=23374

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2012, 20:42:46 »

you're wrong

i actually work for fgw my love

Tongue
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2012, 21:09:17 »

you're wrong

i actually work for fgw my love

Tongue

Very good riposte. Even matching the style and poor grammar. Made I laugh.  Grin

OK, you are 'maryfgw' and I want the fiver.  Wink Tongue Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2012, 23:51:09 »

Glad you believe me now.

Are you also excited about the jawdropping price increase on the Birmingham to London Chiltern Anytime Return? Up 26.7% since September 2011.....  Shocked Tongue

Seems as if Btline missed it ;P
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: