14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:46:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Mainline: Nice & Fast!  (Read 109483 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2012, 13:27:06 »

The power doors should help even more. And the new timetable.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2012, 13:55:20 »

The power doors should help even more. And the new timetable.

...with its reduction in total number of trains serving the suburban stations.  Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2012, 15:05:21 »

Yes, those people will be so hard done by, having to walk a few hundred yards to their nearest Tube station or catching the number 32 that runs every 3 minutes... Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2012, 17:15:06 »

Yes, those people will be so hard done by, having to walk a few hundred yards to their nearest Tube station or catching the number 32 that runs every 3 minutes... Roll Eyes

Bus route 32 only runs every 12 minutes ... and my geography of north west London is poor, but I don't think that Kilburn and Edgware are on the Chiltern line.  I suspect you're suggesting an alternative that doesn't exist.  Perhaps better in "the Rumour Mill" ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2012, 17:28:37 »

It was a made up bus number, reflecting the high frequency of buses in London, even in the suburbs.
Although, Kilbrun isn't **that** far away from the area I was tlking about, so good guess I say.
Every 12 minutes is still better than most rail services.
Kilburn station is one that will probably close in the future when the Bakerloo is extended to Watford.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2012, 22:03:57 »

It was a made up bus number ...

... as is so much of your posting, Btline: it has been pointed out before that, if you do want to be taken seriously on this forum, you really ought to rein in your imagination and post rather more factual items ...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 22:17:38 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2012, 01:18:48 »

Why does it matter? I was quite clearly pointing out the fact that there are very frequent bus services in London, especially central London. The number is 100% irrelevant to the post.

If I'd known, I'd written bus X. But I don't see the problem. Had someone else written this, I would not have immediately checked my guide to London buses, I would have understood the point being made and moved on. Whether the number is correct, a mistake or made up doesn't make a difference.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2012, 05:57:52 »

Why does it matter?

OK ... I was the one who followed up in this case and posted "err - not the 32", so I'll tell you why it mattered to me

Had someone else written this, I would not have immediately checked my guide to London buses, I would have understood the point being made and moved on.

So - why did I take a look at a guide to London bus routes?   Because I wanted to move on and check the transit time from suburban station to near Marylebone of the mythical route 32.  You may have a point, Btline, but I wanted to take a look at journey duration too which was something you hadn't raised. A bus service that takes a little longer but runs very frequently indeed may compensate for an infrequent train service, but I needed to find how long the bus took prior to commenting ...

My research told me that the No, 18 bus runs, frequently, from Sudbury and Harrow Road to Baker Street, and takes about 45 minutes (offpeak) to about 60 minutes (peak) to make that journey. As it doubles the time in the rush hour, and as my geography of Sudbury / Harrow doesn't tell me how "Sudbury and Harrow Road" relates to "Sudbury Hill Harrow", I decided I didn't have a strong case to post (accurately) further and let it go.  I much prefer a strong technical discussion (had the original post been accurate) to which questions and discussions could have followed up than answering an earlier post where I would have been in further "correction mode".

Side story We've had a very serious look at the direct bus alternative from Trowbridge to Swindon to the direct train - this crossover option is an interesting one. The direct bus takes over 60 minutes, the train just 34.  The former is an impractical commute for many, that latter very practical indeed if there are services in both directions at the time the commuter wishes to use them.

Summary - a high standard of accuracy makes for a stronger case, and gives a degree of authority to what you post.  A history of impractical suggestions and inaccuracies wastes the time of others in providing corrections to poorly research article, to the extent that they get frustrated and may not even bother.

You've brought back memories of a delightful flight I took from Mexico City to Gatwick - rather than sleeping, I spent almost all of the night discussing the social status and interaction of forum members (on forums in general) with the person next to me ... and how the posting habits of individuals can effect the way the rest of the group views them, over and above their official status that's based on the number of posts. In fact she was coming back to London from Argentina to complete a thesis on it - and a split ticket at Mexico City was a cheaper way to fly.  Which brings me to thinking about the fares consultation  Grin

ref:
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/018N018.htm
http://www.wellho.net/mouth/2317_How-to-make-a-Risotto-PHP-build-style-.html
http://www.wellho.net/mouth/3641_Swindon-to-Trowbridge-transport-and-travel-options.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:09:29 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:26 »

All is not well at other stations either with proposed cuts at Beaconsfield of 22% of their daily trains causing anger:

http://www.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/south-buckinghamshire-news/local-buckinghamshire-advertiser-news/2012/06/20/82398-31225761/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2012, 00:26:46 »

New multi-million pound station car park at Warwick Parkway to create additional 222 spaces

Today Chiltern Railways is commencing work on a ^2.5 million car park deck at Warwick Parkway, creating an extra 222 much needed spaces.
The new decking area, which is due to be opened in December, will bring the number of spaces at the station up to 959, helping to accommodate present and future rail passengers from the region.
This follows the ^250 million upgrade of the Chiltern line that has seen huge growth in the number of people travelling from the station.  Since the launch of Chiltern Mainline, Warwick Parkway has grown by 32% year on year.
To minimise disruption during the build Chiltern Railways have opened an additional temporary car park at the station with 171 spaces.
Malcolm Holmes, General Manager Mainline at Chiltern Railways said:  ^The launch of Mainline has resulted in a dramatic increase in passengers travelling from Warwick Parkway with thousands of commuters using our service every week.^
^The new deck will create an additional 222 spaces to meet the rise in demand and demonstrates our commitment to providing the best travel experience.^
The expansion has been financed and delivered by Chiltern Railways with ^1 million funding from the Department for Transport.
Rail Minister Theresa Villiers added:
^I am delighted that we are able to announce the investment for this considerable car park extension at Warwick Parkway, there is no doubt that this will encourage more people to travel by train.^
^Adding additional car park capacity will mean more spaces for passengers, easing congestion and helping improve overall journey satisfaction.^

Excellent innovation by Chiltern, opening a temporary car park during the construction to ease the effect on already stressed commuters.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/new-multi-million-pound-station-car-park-warwick-parkway-create-additional-222-spaces-0
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2012, 02:27:55 »

Excellent innovation by Chiltern, opening a temporary car park during the construction to ease the effect on already stressed commuters.

Are Chiltern passengers generally quite stressed then? I was under the impression that Chiltern was gods gift to the earth!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:19 »

To be fair, at Warwick Parkway there is the land available to open up a temporary car park, which is not the case at many locations - Charlbury, for example.  Though you have to be impressed with a 1000 space car park at a station which is only 12 years old!  I'd be interested to see how many extra car park spaces have been provided at Chiltern stations over the last five or so years.

Bristolboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2012, 21:05:29 »

To be fair, at Warwick Parkway there is the land available to open up a temporary car park, which is not the case at many locations - Charlbury, for example.  Though you have to be impressed with a 1000 space car park at a station which is only 12 years old!  I'd be interested to see how many extra car park spaces have been provided at Chiltern stations over the last five or so years.

Would be interesting to see and not only for chiltern. Surprised such a big subsidy was required to build it though-i would have thought the revenue of increased parking charges and ticket sales etc would have been enough to cover it!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:05 »

It probably is - but then Chiltern wouldn't see the revenue as profit, which they say they badly need.

btw - reverting to the Inspector's report from the Oxford enquiry, he can only submit his report while the House is sitting. As they break up next week until after the Party conferences (other than a week or so before), October is about as early as it can be accepted.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2012, 18:11:56 »

To be fair, at Warwick Parkway there is the land available to open up a temporary car park, which is not the case at many locations - Charlbury, for example.
There was a temporary car park at Charlbury during the redoubling work: FGW (First Great Western) used the cricket club car park opposite. We're a little puzzled as to why they haven't done the same during the current car park extension works.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: