14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:45:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Mainline: Nice & Fast!  (Read 109482 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 23:42:22 »

Chiltern's 'flagship' 0655 Moor Street - MYB (London (Marylebone)) 25 mins late this morning. Nice...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2011, 06:35:47 »

The AM peak is less flexible on timekeeping than the pm, it seems
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:39 »

The AM peak is less flexible on timekeeping than the pm, it seems

I think it's far too early to draw conclusions like that.  This mornings peak was pretty good again - all trains under 10 minutes late, and a PPM(resolve) over the 80% mark.  Looks like the timetable is now settling down and hopefully won't have to be substantially altered or the old timetable brought back it, both of which would be pretty humiliating for Chiltern.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:30 »

Even if that's Chiltern's opinion?.....one blip in suburban service will blow the Mainline trains timekeeping away....

I don't consider 80%+ 'pretty good' either - we're not discussing FGW (First Great Western)! Chiltern were regularly over 92.5% before this timetable, so they're still nearly 10% down into the fourth week. Sorry, but in Chiltern terms, that's ridiculous.

It won't be substantially altered, they have never intended to do that - they consider simply reallocating stock to try & provide seats on overcrowded trains will be sufficient. They expect about a 0.5% deterioration in their PPM(resolve). I reckon it'll be double or triple that. They have to achieve 92.5% PPM per current franchise requirements.

Stacks of Twitter complaints again this morning about overcrowding - even from as far out as BCS.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 10:54:57 »

I don't consider 80%+ 'pretty good' either - we're not discussing FGW (First Great Western)! Chiltern were regularly over 92.5% before this timetable, so they're still nearly 10% down into the fourth week. Sorry, but in Chiltern terms, that's ridiculous.

I consider it a pretty good morning peak - let's face it a week or so ago we were questioning whether the timetable was even workable in principle!  Everything since 9am has so far made the 0-4mins mark - keep that up for the rest of the day and they'd be well in to the 90% PPM(resolve) for the day.

If they continue this upward trend then something approaching a regular 90% figure may well be achieved.  Though I agree that I think a 0.5% drop for Phase 1 and a 1.2% drop after Phase 2 (Oxford link) will prove very difficult to achieve.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 14:37:33 »

Roger Ford reports that -
After that it is straight on  to the first meeting of the new session of the Fourth Friday Club,. Guest speaker is Adrian Shooter ^ fireworks guaranteed.

http://www.4thfriday.co.uk/

Meetings held at lunchtime on 4th Fridays in Central London
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 23:55:38 »

This mornings peak was pretty good again - all trains under 10 minutes late, and a PPM(resolve) over the 80% mark.

I should point out that those figures were based on the morning peak services via the High Wycombe route, so the actual figure (including more reliable routes like Met Line services, Oxford-Bicester trains and a few other more reliable short distance services) was actually around 88% according to my calculations on all services up until noon.

However, this evening has been another disaster with signalling problems at West Ruislip, so all that good work has been undone again.  One train took 2h30m from Marylebone to Princes Risborough!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 00:39:30 »

http://www.itv.com/meridian-west/fears-of-overcrowding42906/?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 01:30:52 »

"I don't mind standing on a one-off basis, but really this isn't on every day" says one of their customers. "We'll move trains around so that people get what they expect, which is a seat" (I may have slightly paraphrased in both cases) according to the spokesman.

Both of which seem to be perfectly reasonable positions / targets for the rail industry.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:24 »

Last night's chiltern was another disaster! Not omly points at Ruislip again, but more cowson the line at Haddenham and another failed train at MYB (London (Marylebone)).

Just gone 0600, and they've already had *another* failed train - the 0525 AYS-MYB via HWY sat down at Beconsfield a few minutes ago. Engineering, failed trains are too common a sight.

Oh, one silver train was "having some tlc" yesterday. What they really meant was that no one fuelled the loco on Friday night and it ran out....the tlc eas the refuelling....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 13:37:03 »

Just gone 0600, and they've already had *another* failed train - the 0525 AYS-MYB (London (Marylebone)) via HWY sat down at Beconsfield a few minutes ago. Engineering, failed trains are too common a sight.

Didn't seem to cause many problems though.  Another good AM service with 89%* of arrival/departures from Marylebone until noon reaching their destination within 0-4 minutes late (70 trains).  7am-10am services recorded 91%* (115 trains).   Largest delay 12 minutes.  1 part cancellation (the one Chris mentions above) and two trains not reported anywhere, so I presume they were cancelled?

* These are based on the working timetable, and excludes services that don't go from/to Marylebone which are usually very punctual (such as the Oxford-Bicester service), so the actual PPM(resolve) Charter figure will almost certainly be higher.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 13:46:34 »

Three trains down in one AM peak - that's really awful....it ought to be less than one per peak.

Three pax counters seen arguing over figures....amazing.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 14:09:43 »

That spokesperson looked like he was barely out of school. I wonder, if problems continue, whether we'll be seeing Mr Brighouse on the local news?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2011, 14:38:15 »

THomas Abelman is Marketing *Director* at Chiltern, having transferred from Wrexham & Shropshire on its demise. He's also in charge of fares.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 14:40:42 »

A director??? He looked barely out of short trousers.  Roll Eyes

I guess, being in charge of fares, he was the killjoy that closed the Haddenham - Wendover/Stoke Mandeville cheap fare loophole.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: