07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:59:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Mainline: Nice & Fast!  (Read 109458 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 14:42:21 »

yup....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 16:43:32 »

Three trains down in one AM peak - that's really awful....it ought to be less than one per peak.

The three cancellations were:

05:25 Aylesbury-Marylebone - last report arriving at High Wycombe
07:46 Marylebone-High Wycombe
08:48 High Wycombe-Marylebone - no reports, so assumed cancelled

Almost certainly all on the same diagram.  Not much you can do when a train fails and all your others are out in revenue earning service, so you can't step anything up.

At a quick glance the service from 12-4pm was achieving a similar level of punctuality as the morning service.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 17:06:09 »

A director??? He looked barely out of short trousers.  Roll Eyes

Thomas Ableman, as it happens, was in the year above me at university, which given that I'm 29 I reckon puts him somewhere around 30 - 31. Pretty sure he started out straight from there as a graduate trainee with NEx group and has since found his way via W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) (late of this parish) to Chiltern; that would have been 2003ish so he's got a good few years' experience in the railway industry under his belt. Didn't know him particularly well when we were students but my impression was of a guy who, although somewhat intense, was very, very sharp.

Edited to correct spelling of Abelman to Ableman. I really should have known that...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 17:12:40 by inspector_blakey » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 17:10:28 »

I guess it's that similar scenario where you think the coppers are getting younger. Rather more likely that it's just the fact that I'm getting older.   Undecided

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 17:21:04 »

Many's the time I've kicked myself for not taking more interest in the various rail industry graduate training schemes back then...for some reason I was fixated on another few years' study with the prospect of a bright red and blue gown at the end of it, although with the 20/20 vision of hindsight I have no idea why! Anyway, apologies for rambling around the issue, back on to the topic...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 21:56:45 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSDmJPbkdQ

Does anyone else not think much of this ad? And I don't like the way the voice over says "nice".
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2011, 13:18:29 »

'Nice' is one of the worst words in our language for many reasons!

Another good start to the day for the new timetable.  My calculations on services to/from Marylebone this morning (0-4 minutes late at destination - today based on the public arrival times, not working timetable times):

6am-12pm: 98%  7-10am: 100%

No cancellations.  Longest delay 7 minutes (1037 MYB (London (Marylebone))-BMO).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2011, 13:36:04 »

To misquote an old BR (British Rail(ways)) tagline:

"They're getting there."

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2011, 14:17:47 »

0855 from Moor Street holding 'record' timing of 87 minutes start to final stop today
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2011, 16:26:12 »

Wow - that was shifting it some!

Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2011, 20:40:48 »

Reassuring to see that when there are no problems, trains can keep to the timetable. What further infrastructure enhancements would make the timetable more robust when things go wrong, though?

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2011, 21:18:01 »

Glad to hear things are getting nicer and faster.

It's not just that about the advert - it's the fact it doesn't really advertise a train journey, the bit where you realise it's a train is over so quickly!! Also pointless for people in Kidderminster or Warwick where the 90 minute journey time is irrelevant. People in KID want to know it's direct in less than 2 hrs 20. Warwick 1 hr 15. No mention of business zone, wifi or nice rolling stock.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2011, 21:55:41 »

BZ & 'nice' rolling stock are only on two trains each peak....advertise it like that & everyone will rexpect it at least on most services.

Agree with your other point about knowing its a train service, where it calls & where it goes though!

PPM(resolve) for Period 6 is the worst that Chiltern has ever had! 83.7% punctuality & even just 87% Reliability - which is nothing to do with the TT but a reflection on their maintenance....

Year on year, they're BOTH just 0.1% above annual targets for those markers - which sort of smacks of massaging the figures to keep them above target....another 0.2% drop in the next period & commuters will start to get a 10% discount....& not before time either. Chiltern appear not to want to compensate their regulars for the two weeks without & another two weeks pretty much without a decent trip.....
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2011, 03:41:54 »

Seriously...87% reliability for period 6? That's dire. Assuming I'm interpreting correctly, that means they've cancelled 13% of trains during the period, right?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2011, 08:40:09 »

Right....or part-cancelled them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: