Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:20:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Work Experience with FGW  (Read 16902 times)
ollie b

View Profile Email
« on: September 09, 2011, 18:52:18 »

Hi
In July i will be partaking in the annual work experince week with my school.
I was hoping i might be able to do it with FGW (First Great Western) at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). Can anyone give me any useful names, numbers or adresses to contact.
Thanks
Ollieb
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 19:42:26 »

I guess Ollie might be able to advise, but as a first point of contact you might try contacting FGW (First Great Western) customer relations - they may not have the answers immediately but should be able to direct you to the appropriate person. This assumes of course, that FGW does actually accept students on work experience placements - have you checked this?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 19:46:48 »

if your on facebook and would like a fast reply look for the first great western fan page, you normally get a very fast reply
ollie b

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 20:04:57 »

I guess Ollie might be able to advise, but as a first point of contact you might try contacting FGW (First Great Western) customer relations - they may not have the answers immediately but should be able to direct you to the appropriate person. This assumes of course, that FGW does actually accept students on work experience placements - have you checked this?
Ive seen people at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) before so im hoping so and what are the numbers i need to contact ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 20:27:48 »

Another idea is to write a letter to Sharon Johnston, FGW (First Great Western) Head of Human Resources in Swindon. Whilst you'll probably not get a direct response from her, whoever replies should at least be able to let you know whether it is possible to do work experience with FGW and tell you what you and your school need to do to further an application.

First Great Western
Milford House
1 Milford Street
Swindon
SN1 1HL

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 20:35:09 »

Ive seen people at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) before so im hoping so and what are the numbers i need to contact ?

A quick Google search would give you the answer Wink

For customer relations the telephone number is 08457 000 125 (0700 - 2200 daily), the address is

Customer Services Team
First Great Western
Freepost SWB40576
Plymouth
PL4 6ZZ
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 20:56:54 »

To be honest I'd write to Swindon in the first instance.  Customer Relations at Plymouth get bogged down in "my train was late/cancelled/overcrowded/the wrong way round/dirty etc etc"
jester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 23:46:07 »

The posters at the relevant stations show who is in charge there. My suggestion would be to contact them rather than anyone at Swindon. The local managers will have the relevant knowledge to help you.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 00:30:46 »

I'd advise you to contact local manager.

As far as I'm aware FGW (First Great Western) don't have an actual work experience scheme in place - but I have known of people being allowed to shadow at a station.

The only issue you may have is you might not be able to actually do much that is too involved due to age restrictions for doing work on the railway.

But I do wish you luck Smiley
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 00:41:38 »

Having recently completed Work Experience at Plymouth Station earlier in the year, I can confirm that your best bet is to speak to the Station Manager direct as the programme is generally dealt with in-house at the station.

Throughout my week I conducted severel roles including Assisting Passengers with booked assistants, train preperation, gateline, ticket office and also various roles on the platform (You will NOT complete any roles which staff require additional training for saftey purposes, such as Dispatch)

Good Luck! Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 00:44:57 »

Thank you, Louis94, for that reply from someone who has been at the coalface, as it were, doing work experience with FGW (First Great Western).

Wink Cheesy Grin

Apropos of nothing, back in 1988 I did my work experience at the Castle Hotel in Taunton. A certain Gary Rhodes was my boss for the two weeks. I prepared starters on a lunch menu for Michael Winner and Joan Collins....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 00:56:14 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ollie b

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:40:01 »

Thanks Everyone I will go to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) in the next few weeks and speak to someone down there  Smiley
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 13:06:53 »

Thanks Everyone I will go to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) in the next few weeks and speak to someone down there  Smiley

That's the way fella! See you soon :-)   Another way in, albeit for slightly older wouldbes, is by becoming a peak time Luggage Assist.  We have had a few of these guys on trains in the west and they are invaluable. Again, speak to station managers i think.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 20:51:51 »

Agreed: in any such case, the best approach is to seek out the local management at your preferred station.

They can then make an initial evaluation of your suitability, and recommend you for any possible roles if they think you're an appropriate candidate.

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 21:39:12 »

I believe Stuart McLay is the station manager at Exd, St Davids station, Bonhay Road, Exeter EX4 2NT.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: