Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:11:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth and the city's lack of services!  (Read 7157 times)
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« on: September 11, 2011, 15:21:58 »

There is something that really iritates me about rail services in Devon and that is the lack of services from Plymouth. A city with a population size of 250,000 has only a Branch line service to Gunnislake, a slow service to London Paddington and Bristol with the odd Cross Country service to Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds.

But there should be more. What happened to the South West trains servcice to London Waterloo that could have still carried on to Plymouth rather then Penzance. And the Brighton service vanished years ago and that is a service that i feel worked and should have not disspaeared. I also cant see why you could not do a Barnstaple/Exmouth to Plymouth carry it on abit. The amount of people i have seen on the Torquay/Paignton service have fisnished there joureny to Plymouth. And how about a Cardiff - Plymouth service? I dont see why the lack of investment into transport to Plymouth on rail is so bad. The airport has closed and Plymouth is threatend with being cut off from the rest of the country. Especially with the New eletrification stopping at Exeter, plymouh is larger and more people finish there journey in Plymouth then Exeter. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 15:44:31 »

No one is using it, otherwise the air service wouldn't have stopped.

Show me your proof that more use Plymouth than Exeter?

The flows to anywhere but London are so small that changing where necessary is best option for the money. You have hourly to London & hourly XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service too. Prove to me that trains are overcrowded leaving PLY» (Plymouth - next trains).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 16:21:47 »

No one is using it, otherwise the air service wouldn't have stopped.

Not a Plymouth specific point here, ChrisB (I don't know Plymouth well enough) but it strikes me ...

a) There are cases where services have been pulled in spite of good and growing use.  "Use it or loose it" became rather more "use it and loose it" in at least one case in December 2006.   17:40 train, 2 car, packed commuter train on Friday, 8th.  Nothing for over an hour more on 11th ... and the morning commuter train in the other direction moved 30 minutes earlier, destroying a usable service as far as the users were concerned.    It don't think it's fair to assume that a service will be provided just because it would be well used.

b) Of course no-one is using it.  How could anyone currently be using a service that no longer exists  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 16:30:38 »

Air southWest stated it closed thtough insufficient use
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 17:31:26 »

Air Southwest closed there busiest route to Gatwick enough said based on the above! Flybe are at least 95% full every flight to Gatwick from Newquay.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 21:48:54 »

I fully expect to be the subject of a fatwah from the Janner Taliban for this, but isn't it time for a reality check?

What does a loose knit conurbation of 250K inhabitants, struggling city centre,declining industrial base and increasingly low skilled workforce have to offer?  Factor in an antiquated and inadequate airport; also consider that the regional business capital and comparatively thriving city of Exeter, complete with burgeoning airport is only c50 miles away and it's no surprise that it's game over for Roborough.  Exeter may be smaller in terms of city population, but it is the natural hub for a expansive and reasonably wealthy hinterland.

Perhaps Plymouth's lack of services are in direct proportion to its lack of dynamism, ambition and appeal as a place for investment.

AFAIK (as far as I know), there are no plans to electrify to Exeter, let alone Plymouth, so for the foreseeable, that door is closed too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 21:56:46 by Maxwell P » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 22:27:26 »

i can see your comments Maxwell p. We'd much rather travel to Exeter for a day out then Plymouth. (live in penryn) as Exeter seems a far more pleasant city. As you drive or ride the train into plymouth you see awful run down housing estates *runs for cover* whereas you drive into Exeter the housing estates dont look too bad. After all first impressions are everything!

The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 23:07:45 »

There's the simple fact as well that there are a much wider variety of lines which use Exeter as a hub. The Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton lines centre on Exeter while the Waterloo line starts there. Plymouth only has the Gunnislake line and maybe the Tavistock line (which uses much of the same route) in the future.

Unless trains on the lines that are there are usually heaving, it's hard to see where the demand would be. Incidentally my experience of SWT (South West Trains) services west of Exeter is that other than in high summer or on commuter services they were very lightly used - certainly when I travelled through Exeter they were much busier east of Exeter.

I believe the Penzance - Portsmouth Harbour service that Wessex used to run via Westbury was generally well used - but as it was only a 2-car train, it probably lost money.
Devon Big Bird

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 23:22:30 »

mmm, interesting comments. I car share from Torquay to Plymouth daily to work at the Uni (significant Plymouth employer). Now, if I didn't share, it would be cheaper to buy a season than commute by car, with the cost of fuel and all that...

BUT, the first train (apart from 1C99!!) gets in at 0815 (give or take...) This is too late, I like to be in for 0730 but there's no option (leaving TQY @ 0640 by car)

If I was heading in the opposite direction or indeed from PNZ then plenty of choice, as is the nature of a line that sends early morning trains in a specific direction.

Is rail travel to a so called major conurbation really considered? OK, not an easy question, but who do we 'blame'? Rail Partnerships, FGW (First Great Western), NR» (Network Rail - home page)?

How do (tongue in cheek here) the 'suppliers' actually listen to the 'market'?

Is this over simplifying a complex situation...?

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 14:21:37 »

There's also a lack of services into Plymouth.

Looking just at the Monday to Friday service in the early morning

Plymouth is (shall we say) roughly equal in population (to prevent WW3) to Exeter in size, yet whilst there are trains from Exeter arriving at Plymouth at 04:30 (04:50ish on Monday) the next arrival from Exeter arrives at Plymouth at 08:12

However trains arrive at Exeter St D from Plymouth  at 06:10 06:21 06:33 06:50 07:21 07:42 07:51 before 08:00

Great for those that live in Plymouth & Work in Exeter.

About as much use as a Chocolate Frying Pan for those that live in Exeter & work in Plymouth.

To me the 06:40 Plymouth-Gunnislake should start back at Exeter at 05:40 calling Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Totnes and Ivybridge.
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 16:55:12 »

There's also a lack of services into Plymouth.

Looking just at the Monday to Friday service in the early morning

Plymouth is (shall we say) roughly equal in population (to prevent WW3) to Exeter in size, yet whilst there are trains from Exeter arriving at Plymouth at 04:30 (04:50ish on Monday) the next arrival from Exeter arrives at Plymouth at 08:12

However trains arrive at Exeter St D from Plymouth  at 06:10 06:21 06:33 06:50 07:21 07:42 07:51 before 08:00

Great for those that live in Plymouth & Work in Exeter.

About as much use as a Chocolate Frying Pan for those that live in Exeter & work in Plymouth.

To me the 06:40 Plymouth-Gunnislake should start back at Exeter at 05:40 calling Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Totnes and Ivybridge.

Population of Exeter is less than half that of Plymouth.  Nevertheless, I maintain that this is a red herring.  The overall value of Exeter as a destination is far greater than that of Plymouth, particularly when viewed from further east.

Extending the 00:40 is probably viable though, albeit with an EX crew as far as PLY» (Plymouth - next trains).
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 18:24:46 »

what time and where does the first cardiff service from the south west start?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 18:36:18 »

what time and where does the first cardiff service from the south west start?

From Plymouth 0520 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), change at Bristol TM(resolve), arrive 0846
From Penzance 0505 (HST (High Speed Train)) FGW (First Great Western), change at Exeter SD and Bristol TM, arrive 1043.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 18:45:07 »

sorry bnm i ment direct service from exeter if there still is one?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 18:54:30 »

i believe the furthest west the cdfs come is taunton, may be wrong though?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: