Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:05:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New Timetable & Re-doubling follow on  (Read 45294 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:52 »

Regarding bikes, I had wondered what regulars might think.  Realistically there's only three solutions; 1) you either have an arrangement to allow bikes in the vestibules, 2) You invest in more/better cycle racks at the stations, or 3) as commuters using several other routes do you force them to buy a fold-up bike if they wish to guarantee its carriage on their chosen train.

Regarding the timetable, here's a screenshot of the page concerning the down 'Halts' train (note that footnote 'A' means 'from 17th September'):

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 12:55:24 »

The Cathedral's Express is not the "express" service. Roll Eyes

I hope these Maidenhead stops are short term.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 13:00:04 »

I'm sure Jo for one hopes they're not!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 17:15:46 »

If the current Turbos running on the fast lines (i.e. the Bedwyns) used 125mph stock, you could add a Maidenhead stop without impacting on journey times or capacity. Hopefully they will after the modernisation.

Bristols and Cardiffs never get pesky extra stops.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 17:22:09 »

The 1750 and 1948 have had Maidenhead stops for ages, the only new Maidenhead stop is on the new service at 1612, I'm sure a fast train to Maidenhead at that time will be quite popular.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 20:14:26 »

If the current Turbos running on the fast lines (i.e. the Bedwyns) used 125mph stock, you could add a Maidenhead stop without impacting on journey times or capacity. Hopefully they will after the modernisation.

Slightly more important locations than Cotswolds villages perhaps?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 23:43:16 »

Slightly more important locations than Cotswolds villages perhaps?

Oxford? Roll Eyes

Cambridge has a half hourly NON STOP service.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 00:54:12 »

But the London-Cambridge service doesn't pass through such a busy and important interchange as Reading, do you really suggest skipping Reading on Oxford services, as they get a lot of custom from there as well.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:14 »

But the London-Cambridge service doesn't pass through such a busy and important interchange as Reading, do you really suggest skipping Reading on Oxford services, as they get a lot of custom from there as well.

Yawn... I've never advocated skipping Reading stops on ANY service (when others have). I've even supported Slough stops on Off Peak services.

I'm talking about pesky extra stops that could easily creep in. Before you know it, all OXF» (Oxford - next trains) fasts stop at Maidenhead and Slough with an extra 10 minutes added on for running on the Slow lines. Why not throw in Didcot whilst you're at it.

I've got nothing against Maidenhead. It should get an hourly fast train on the Bedwyns, as should Twyford (on the Cheltenhams). But nothing else on the 3 hour journeys to the Cotswolds.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 14:58:45 »

Extra stops work better on the Oxford trains though because of when they are pathed. Bedywn and Cheltenham trains leave London at xx18 and xx48, the Oxford trains are only 2-4 minutes behind, so adding stops to those trains would delay the Oxford services anyway. The Oxford trains at xx20 and xx50 have up to 10 minutes gap behind them to the xx00 and xx30 Bristol services once beyond Airport Junction, they are the logical services to have extra fast line stops in. If the Oxford services still used Class 180s a Slough and Maidenhead stop could possibly be fitted in on the fast lines without an impact on other services. At the moment they are timed for 90mph so the gap is only 4 minutes to the Bristol services by Reading, but that is with a Slough stop.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 15:12:29 »

Crikey, let's not incur any further wrath by suggesting the Oxford/Cotswolds should stop at both Slough and Maidenhead.  Shocked  Btline's point about the Bedwyn's stopping at Maidenhead is a valid one as it stands train path wise (it would be stopped at Maidenhead, whilst the following Oxford is stopped at Slough), but where is the 125mph stock coming from, and with the pattern of departures (and number of train paths) set to change radically in a few short years, would it not be best to wait and try to specify all these improvements then?

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2012, 17:07:37 »

Indeed, and my comparison to Cambridge returns.

Oxford is an important enough destination to have a decent fast service.

Replacing stock with 125 mph stock should be used as an excuse to shorten the journey time to 50 minutes, NOT introduce more stops.

TBH (to be honest), I'm not sure how the fast lines are going to cope, what with 4tph to Bristol*, 2tph to Wales*, 2tph Oxford, 1tph Cheltenham*, 1tph Newbury (new), 1tph Plymouth* and presumable 1tph semi fast B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury)*.

Those * currently don't stop at all. The slow lines will be taken over for Crossrail. So how will trains stop without other backing up? Will a flyover be needed at Maidenhead so trains can cross over to the slow lines without impacting?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2012, 17:18:53 »

Regarding bikes, I had wondered what regulars might think.  Realistically there's only three solutions; 1) you either have an arrangement to allow bikes in the vestibules, 2) You invest in more/better cycle racks at the stations, or 3) as commuters using several other routes do you force them to buy a fold-up bike if they wish to guarantee its carriage on their chosen train.

It's a difficult one. 1 makes the most sense for cycle-toting Hanborough passengers (with Combe and Finstock in the front compartment, and Charlbury in the rear), but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it was permitted.

2 - absolutely, and this should happen anyway... except that it effectively requires many people to buy two bikes, one for each end of the journey (until Oxford, Reading et al get Boris Bike-like schemes). And you're then leaving a bike on the Oxford (or wherever) cycle racks overnight and at weekends... and hoping it's still in one piece when you return.

3 isn't quite as easy as it sounds: Combe is in the middle of nowhere, Hanborough is at the end of a long cycle path from Witney, and Finstock is on a steep hill with fairly heavy traffic - none of them particularly suitable for little folding bikes. It's fine for people commuting from within Charlbury, but again, there are quite a few people who commute by bike from Enstone to Charlbury station, and again that's not a bunch of fun on a folder.

I wish I knew what the answer was.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 20:19:04 »

I'm sure Jo for one hopes they're not!

I think we should be allowed the odd one or two HST (High Speed Train) stops at Maidenhead in each peak period.. that is only fair surely?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 11:28:50 »

I think we should be allowed the odd one or two HST (High Speed Train) stops at Maidenhead in each peak period.. that is only fair surely?

Which long distance services have room and which services deserve to get slowed down by 10+ mins (due to the transfer to the slow lines).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: