Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 06:40:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Fellow FGW Travellers  (Read 3672 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:40 »

HI every one,my name is Dave and in the last couple of years when working I have travelled daily on the FGW (First Great Western) network. I read with interest Rob's "Hello" and couldn't agree more with his comments about revenue protection.

But before I get on to that I must say that I think the travelling experience on FGW is improving slowly. For example, at my local station (Thatcham) we have had new information signs for some time now and apart from in the mornings when late running engineering works overrun the signs are clear and reliable.

I also don;t have a problem with the cleanliness of the trains which when I travel (on the first services of of THA) is normally pretty good. The new on-train info displays on the local trains is a great improvement but it does seem to rely on a crew member telling the information systems where the train is going. It is often the case that the "next station" display will refer to a station which the service passed through half an hour ago! I came across a classic the other morning when I changed trains at RDG(resolve) and boarded the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) service which had come from Oxford and is formed of two sets joined together. The Audio announcement in the rear set was correct but the display panels were showing service information TO Oxford! I guess at that time in the morning no one really cares Smiley

Revenue protection in the next bit >>>

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:00:00 »

Here is my experience of having my ticket checked on FGW (First Great Western) over the last two years..this isn't me being anal...it is just very easy to remember!

Up until the last couple of years ago I had used the railways frequently but not regulary. In the last couple of years apart from one woking day all of my journeys have been by train and the first leg of my journey is normally between THA and RDG(resolve). You may or may not find the following statistics regarding the frequency of my ticket checks interesting...

All of these stats apply to the last two years of constant travelling by train..

-From THA to RDG Early morning (pre 630AM) and return on either the 1748 (BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) via newbury) or 1812 (RDG to Newbury) - NEVER! - I would suggest there are alot of commuters who regard this service as "free"
-From RDG to REI on the 634AM and returning (mainly) on the 1618 from REI to RDG - Always
-On any non HST (High Speed Train) service from RGT to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - once in two years
-HST Services from RDG to PAD - about 3 times (poss due to crowding issues)

RobG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:52:21 »

Hi Dave, even on the journeys that I have made over the last few months what you have said here rings true!

I would imagine that the reason for getting your ticket checked always on the Reigate leg of your journey will be because there is a guard on those trains - good to hear that they are not just doing the doors!

I know HSTs (High Speed Train) are busy and often TOCs (Train Operating Company) will not ask their guys to check on busier trains especially if like at Padd and Reading both stations are gated - but this doesn't stop people from getting on the train at Padd with an oyster card for zones 1-4 and getting out at Reading with a Twyford - Reading season ticket, therefore not paying for the majority of their journey!

I feel you really should have had your ticket checked more often on the other services you travel on; especially if the perception is that they are 'free trains'. Surely FGW (First Great Western) know what's going on out there?Huh

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:52 »

I feel you really should have had your ticket checked more often on the other services you travel on; especially if the perception is that they are 'free trains'. Surely FGW (First Great Western) know what's going on out there?Huh

I'm not for one moment suggesting that everyone who travels on these services is deliberately being dishonest but on the THA-RDG(resolve) segment of the journey it is made easier for those that do. For PAX on the 547am service if they travel between (for example) THA and Reading West there may not be an option to buy a ticket because either there is no option to pay by cash when the ticket office is shut or the selfservice machine outside isn't working. I just wish once in a while they would put Payment Protection Officers on the service.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:58:32 »

I know HSTs (High Speed Train) are busy and often TOCs (Train Operating Company) will not ask their guys to check on busier trains especially if like at Padd and Reading both stations are gated - but this doesn't stop people from getting on the train at Padd with an oyster card for zones 1-4 and getting out at Reading with a Twyford - Reading season ticket, therefore not paying for the majority of their journey!
Depends what Platform it goes from at Paddington.

If 2-5 then you can't get through the Gates with an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 18:12:17 »

A belated warm welcome to the forum from the moderator team, BerkshireBugsy.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: