14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:31:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train not stopping at Totnes  (Read 3331 times)
chrisc

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2011, 18:47:07 »

Really useful and interesting forum, wish I had discovered it earlier!

I went to Totnes on Saturday 8/10/11 in good time to pick up my wife from the 1106 from Paddington due 1406 but it wasn't shown on the platform information display. Then there was an announcement that it was cancelled "due to signalling problems in the Taunton area" so I enquired in the ticket office and was told this was true and pax were expected on the Edinburgh-Plymouth train due 1416 (and shown as running 10 mins late).

Then I overheard one of the platform staff explaining that the train in question was not going to stop at Totnes because one power car was down and it needed to take a run at Rattery Bank, the pax were going to be transferred to the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service at Newton Abbot. This is at least consistent with the similar thread regarding Train not stopping at Bodmin Parkway

Meanwhile on board my wife was being told that "to avoid the train (which was by then 10 mins late) being even later arriving in Plymouth and delaying following trains (which it certainly would if it had ground to a halt on the incline!) she should alight at Exeter and catch the following train. Fortunately this was only 5 mins behind and there was room on it, so all ended well.

But I hope someone with expert knowledge can answer my ensuing questions which are

• Why was the missing arrival/departure not shown at Totnes as "cancelled" rather than just removed from the display
  • Why are different FGW (First Great Western) staff giving out different reasons for the non-stopping, none of which is either comprehensive or entirely true
  • If Dainton bank is as steep as Rattery Bank why would a train which can't stop at Totnes be able to stop at Newton Abbot and still get over the top?

TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack (aka "mini-stroke")) Chris
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 19:33:04 »

Why was the missing arrival/departure not shown at Totnes as "cancelled" rather than just removed from the display
Why are different FGW (First Great Western) staff giving out different reasons for the non-stopping, none of which is either comprehensive or entirely true
If Dainton bank is as steep as Rattery Bank why would a train which can't stop at Totnes be able to stop at Newton Abbot and still get over the top?

first one no idea
second one ... they were the same reason the stop was cancelled
third... this is why too much information can be a dangerous thing, the information provided should have been simplified, lets be honest once you knew about rattery bank you questioned it,and belived that one of the members of staff gave you false information...they didn't! all you needed to know was that due to the train not running at full power for operational reasons the totnes stop on that service would be omitted so that the service could keep to time however tickets would be taken on the following service which would arrive into totnes ten mins later, and that they are sorry for the inconvenience

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 19:46:06 »

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the forum.

• Why was the missing arrival/departure not shown at Totnes as "cancelled" rather than just removed from the display

There are some quirks in the systems sometimes ... I suspect that as the train was going through (but none-stop) it wasn't really cancelled

• Why are different FGW (First Great Western) staff giving out different reasons for the non-stopping, none of which is either comprehensive or entirely true

Very possibly because they didn't have the complete information themselves ... in this sort of situation there are usually fairly standard plans in place as to what happens, but it may not be know whether the engine's completely or partly out, and it could well be that they were reading the evidence they had to the best of their ability, giving you the most probable cause.

Information systems are far better than they ever were, but complete, instant and certain information when something starts to go adrift is still not with us.

• If Dainton bank is as steep as Rattery Bank why would a train which can't stop at Totnes be able to stop at Newton Abbot and still get over the top?
I would expect that a 125 on one engine could get over either ... but very slowly and with big time loss.  I can't see FGW committing a train to go over the top on one engine and keeping their fingers crossed that it didn't get stopped at a signal because it might be stuck.   But there's a big difference between 20 mph and 60 mph ...

There's also a big difference between Newton Abbott and Totnes ... and whilst there was room on the crosscountry service for Totnes passengers, would that have been the case for people going to Newton Abbott too?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 19:59:22 »

If Dainton bank is as steep as Rattery Bank why would a train which can't stop at Totnes be able to stop at Newton Abbot and still get over the top?

An HST (High Speed Train) leaving Newton Abbot on one lung has an appreciable stretch of level track (and a short bit of down gradient) before encountering Dainton. Therefore if the line is clear from the former Aller Jn to Dainton Tunnel a OEO (One Engine Only) 2+8 HST can take a run at the bank, and this is allowed provided all 5 power notches are avaiable on the operative power car, the weather conditions are not adverse and no temporary or emergency speed restrictions are in place on the down road as far as the tunnel.

At Totnes on the down Rattery Bank starts before the train has gone over the point end back onto the main line. No chance of a run up and a fair chance a OEO 2+8 HST will grind to a halt somewhere just past the Cemeteray. Once it stops it stays stopped until either it runs back into Totnes under signallers authority or assistance is provided. No attempt can be made to restart a OEO 2+8 HST on Dainton, Rattery or Hemerdon as all you will do is burn the traction motors out.

OEO = One Engine Only.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 20:10:31 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Trundling gently round the SW
chrisc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 21:05:28 »

Thanks chaps for yr comprehensive answers. Unfortunately my Quail track plans don't seem to have much gradient or height info, should have looked at the 1:25000 OS (Ordnance Survey) map on the shelf before posting!

Doesn't explain the "cancelled due to signalling problems in the Taunton area" story though, but I never did believe that since it miraculously didn't affect the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train following, it didn't explain where the train physically was and it seemed an odd place to terminate a late-running service anyway. By sod's law my wife's iPhone was showing no signal for most of the journey as well so it was only afterwards that we could compare notes.

Thanks again
Chris
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:12:36 »

g!

Doesn't explain the "cancelled due to signalling problems in the Taunton area" story though, but I never did believe that since it miraculously didn't affect the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train following, it didn't explain where the train physically was and it seemed an odd place to terminate a late-running service anyway.

If the problems were on the Berks & Hants side of Cogload, (still within the Taunton area in railese),  the XC train would have been unaffected on its run down from Bristol
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: