Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:24:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free tickets offer from First Capital Connect  (Read 6832 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 00:09:05 »

This is out of area, but may be of interest to Coffee Shop members.

First Capital Connect are offering 5 Standard Class return tickets for use on their network simply for signing up to their email newsletters.

https://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/competition/receive-free-tickets/

This offer is already doing the rounds on many rail and non-rail related forums. The offer is also going into the weekly MoneySavingExpert.com email today (Weds 19th Oct 2011), an email alert that goes to 5 million subscribers. Forum chatter is saying that FCC (First Capital Connect) are apparently a little uneasy about the offer getting such widespread publicity. So get in quick would be my advice as the offer may be pulled early.

Receive free tickets - Terms & conditions

1. To qualify for complimentary tickets you must opt in to receive marketing and service update communications via the FCC website by 23:59 on 31 October 2011.
2. You will receive 5 complimentary standard return tickets valid on First Capital Connect services only. Not valid on any other train operator's service. Not valid on London Underground or DLR (Docklands Light Railway) services.
3. Complimentary tickets will be posted to the address given week commencing 7 November 2011.
4. Complimentary tickets are valid for travel until 31 December 2011.
5. Each complimentary ticket is valid for one person and one return journey only.
6. Complimentary tickets are valid for standard travel only.
7. No purchase necessary.
8. One entry per person.
9. One entry per household.
10. No correspondence will be entered into.
11. People under the age of 18 are not eligible for entry.
12. This offer is not open to employees or contractors of First Capital Connect, their agencies or anybody connected to the promotion.
13. First Capital Connect reserves the right to amend the offer details to something of equal or lesser value if necessary.

Promoter: First Capital Connect, Hertford House, 1 Cranwood Street, London EC1V 9QS

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:37 »

simple sign up, and then divert all their emails to junk once they start arriving inevitably daily!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:05 »

Definitely of interest to me.

Currently pay ^2.50 for bus to MKC (Milton Keynes Central), ^12 for a return to London, ^2.50 to use the tube then ^4-^10 for a return to Portsmouth.

With this offer, I'll pay ^4.20 for a bus to Bedford then ^4-^10 for a return from GTW to Portsmouth.  Also no need to drag my luggage around the tube.

Bargain
Tiffy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:03:42 »

Thank you -have applied as I have friends in St Albans.
bigdaz
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 20:21:17 »

Just tried but allocation has been used!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 00:03:40 »

Yup, offer has been pulled.  Sad

Blame that MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis fella....

.... and folks like me who publicised the offer across the interweb.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:48:18 »

Yup, offer has been pulled.  Sad

Blame that MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis fella....

.... and folks like me who publicised the offer across the interweb.  Roll Eyes

So maybe the promotion was a huge success then. All the folks publishing this gave endless amounts of publicity to FCC (First Capital Connect) at very little marginal cost. Very clever marketing really as they have been advertised in regions such as the South West through this forum for next to nothing. No doubt many internet users who have recieved this offer through Facebook, other non rail related forums etc. may not ahve been aware of FCC but now are more than aware of their existance. Methinks the offer was meant to only be up for a very limited period
Tiffy

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:31:47 »

My free tickets came this morning Smiley

Thank you very much to the poster.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:50:16 by Tiffy » Logged
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:40:56 »

Mine also arrived.  Will be using one of Sunday.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 11:54:19 »

PFAS News is reporting that FCC (First Capital Connect) are decalssifying some of their 1st class sections - Section B in each train. Not quite in time for you to use them though....
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 14:00:52 »

The tickets have a scratch off date section and look like the sort of thing that would be given as a prize, response to a complaint or for corporate guests.  The scratch off panel only goes up to 31st December 2011 (but started on 1st January 2010).  Methinks this could be a combined "get rid of the remaining ticket stock" and "get some new passengers on our trains" exercise.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 14:11:51 »

Mine arrived this morning also. Off next week to bash some lines I've yet to highlight in me rail atlas!

Time to do some planning.....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 16:12:16 »

What day(s) are you thinking of travelling bignosemac?

I assume that a ticket entered "Bedford to Kings Lynn" would be valid into St Pancras and out of Kings Cross?  As BoJ (Break of Journey) is not restricted, I assume that breaking is also permitted?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 16:54:49 »

As these are in effect Anytime tickets then BoJ (Break of Journey) should be allowed. And LONDON is a valid routeing point for Bedford - King's Lynn so no problem with changeing between St Pancras and King's Cross

I'm going to endorse the first of mine with the destination Wells-next-the-Sea and see if I can get from King's Lynn to there on the bus. Wells-next-the-Sea, Sandringham and Hunstanton are all valid rail destinations, the fares are priced by FCC (First Capital Connect) and the connecting bus timetables are published by them. No great shakes if it's not accepted on the Norfolk Green buses (their website does state though that they accept through rail tickets) I'll just spend time in King's Lynn instead. Making that trip next Wednesday probably. Will also take in the Hertford loop that day and possibly Moorgate

With my second ticket I hope to get out to Sevenoaks/Orpington. Some debate as to whether these tickets are valid on the joint FCC/Southeastern services. Only one way to find out I suppose! That trip is planned for 30th November.

Then I'll find an excuse to take the GF (Ground Frame) to Brighton. Christmas shopping perhaps - mid December.

Leaves me one more free ticket to use up.....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 17:01:12 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:25 »

I'm surprised no-one spotted the typo on the envelope!

If undelivered please return to:
44 Fullarton Drive, Glasgow East Investmant Park, Cambuslang, G32 8FA.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: