Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:48:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: just had my ticket checked on the 0547 Thatcham to Reading  (Read 7414 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:02 »

This is certainly not a complaint but it is the first time in two years. Needless to say some of my fellow pax didn't share my enthusiasm for this event.

Nice one Fgw !
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:05 »

They seem to have increased the on train inspectors recently - I had mine checked on the way home from Maidenhead at 5pm-ish the other week, and yesterday morning there was an inspector walking down the carriage as we pulled into Maidenhead just after 8am. First time I have seen that in almost 4 years!

I also noticed last week several G4 security guys coming out of First Class when we arrived at Reading, and I recall reading on here somewhere that they were checking tickets on behalf of FGW (First Great Western).
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:28 »

They seem to have increased the on train inspectors recently - I had mine checked on the way home from Maidenhead at 5pm-ish the other week, and yesterday morning there was an inspector walking down the carriage as we pulled into Maidenhead just after 8am. First time I have seen that in almost 4 years!

WHen this happened this morning on my service I was amused when one of the passengers had no idea at all of how much a train ticket approximately cost for their journey. Given that they travel that route everyday and I'm sure not having a ticket today was a one off I find that a little suprising </endofsarcasm>
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 16:59:09 »

I also noticed last week several G4 security guys coming out of First Class when we arrived at Reading, and I recall reading on here somewhere that they were checking tickets on behalf of FGW (First Great Western).

Yes, I posted about this a few days ago.  Although I wouldn't want to undermine FGW's attempts to protect revenue and keep first class for first class ticket holders, my understanding is that G4S staff should only operate in support of/supervised by a suitably-qualified FGW person, ie they should not be operating independently.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 17:18:48 »

I think the G4 people have been used to exclude people from FC(resolve) (ie ask them to leave if they don't have FC tickets).  Any ticket sales, PFs (Penalty Fare), prosecution stuff or validity issues are dealt with by trained staff.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 17:35:01 »

Needless to say some of my fellow pax didn't share my enthusiasm for this event.

Nice one Fgw !

Good  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 22:28:26 »

Needless to say some of my fellow pax didn't share my enthusiasm for this event.

Nice one Fgw !

Good  Grin

Although maybe they should have been checking tickets more than once in a blue moon in the first place??  Roll Eyes
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:02:29 »

Although maybe they should have been checking tickets more than once in a blue moon in the first place??  Roll Eyes
Totally agree. Let's hope these checks become more frequent. If FGW (First Great Western) get a good return by making these checks they are more likely to continue them.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:59:04 »

Strangely enough I encountered an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) on a NXEA (National Express East Anglia) Service from Southend Victoria - Stratford for the first time ever yesterday! I was sat in the First Class Compartment facing the direction of travel and had my headphones in, so my back was to the entrance to FC(resolve)... He came in asking for a ticket and there thetrout was in his own little world suddenly came back to reality like a falling lead balloon! Scared the living $hit out of me!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 13:31:33 »

Nice one Fgw !

Good  Grin

Moan when they don't get checked, moan about frequency when they do get checked.... Huh

Do you think with so many services running at any point during the morning/evening peak that trains can be regularly always checked without taking on more staff?

If the return on the number of tickets sold by an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)), outways the cost of employing them, then surely FGW (First Great Western) would just do it?  No TOC (Train Operating Company) wants revenue walking out the station, but like it or not there's always a business case to be put forward as to how to get that revenue - i'm not saying it's right, but it's the World we live in of private companies running businesses on our railway.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 17:26:12 »

I'd like to have the tickets checked just once ever though.. That was my "moan"... Apologies if that is a moan though..I just think it makes sense... With Thames trains they used to get checked a lot more than the never that FGW (First Great Western) do..

I can't remember the last time I saw an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)).. I think the local trains have been totally forgotten.. They're just not bothered anymore.. And the passengers have started working that out (see my seperate thread on the 8am Maidenhead to Paddington first class carriages)..

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 23:46:15 »

Mine was checked again on the way home from Maidenhead around 5pm on Thursday - that's 3 checks in a couple of weeks! Even the gates at Shoppenhangers Road have been manned almost every evening (usually unheard of) and the mornings have been more thorough.

Definitely an improvement, and long may it continue!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 13:08:17 »

I understand Jo, and I am sure all passengers want to know that those who are travelling with them have valid tickets also.

I would love to spend a day in the Commercial department to see the logic and plans behind certain decisions.

I also know more revenue staff have been taken on in certain areas.

As far as RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s go, I think it should be unpredictable as to when they are seen - I don't see the point of doing a block at Torre for 2 weeks, as fare evaders pay up for the 2 week period then when it's clear RPI's have moved on, it reverts to old - it doesn't need to be always frequent, but just often enough that people won't see the point in chancing it.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:19 »

As the original poster, I am pleased to say that this morning my ticket was checked again on the Thatcham to Reading leg of my journey to Reigate. I think there were a few people travelling in First Class who objected to paying for a first class ticket!

Nice one FGW (First Great Western) - keep it up!
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 17:32:59 »

Agreed. I'm glad they're being charged 1st class fares, rather than just being chucked out.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: