14:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
15:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:24:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[93] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[40] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[7] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another bad day on FCC  (Read 7192 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2011, 21:22:49 »

Very few trains running.
Initial reports suggested failure of the new signalling at City Thameslink, though later delays blamed on signal failure at Cricklewood.

Afternoon trains from the Catford loop line either cancelled or diverted to London Victoria.

Hoped things might have improved for my return journey from City Thameslink at about 18-30, but no effective southbound service running.
Numerous announcements advising NORTHBOUND passengers to use buses or London underground to St Pancras, or to use other operators services.

No announcements for SOUTHBOUND passengers for a long while.
Eventually it was anounced that passengers for stations to Sevenoaks should take the number 11 bus to Victoria, from which "some" services would run.
On arrival at Victoria there was a Sevenoaks service advertised to leave at 20-13, it eventually left at about 20-30.
Took over 2 hours for a 30 minute journey.

I do of course accept that things go wrong, but this sort of experience does seem rather frequent on FCC (First Capital Connect).

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:34:07 »

I do of course accept that things go wrong, but this sort of experience does seem rather frequent on FCC (First Capital Connect).

There is major surgery happening on the Thameslink centre core all of it requires interfacing new equipment with old obsolete equipment which is normally manageable however on Thameslink they have so many of these; Thameslink work also spreads out from the centre core onto the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), ECML (East Coast Main Line) as well as the Southern routes.  Any other industry would close it down, rebuild it and reopen it, there would be to much public uproar to do this.

The good news London Bridge layout rebuild starts soon

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 21:17:38 »

City Thameslink gone tits up again tonight - power failure yet again
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 22:36:18 »

City Thameslink gone tits up again tonight - power failure yet again

Not suprising, Thameslink is a weekday only, fair-weather only railway, I avoid using it at weekends, or in bad weather.
The southern parts are third rail electric (unreliable in snow or ice), the northern bit is OHLE which is unreliable in windy weather, and inbetween we have new improved signalling !

I appreciate that upgrades are required, but will it be any better afterwards ?
The re-signalled and otherwise improved parts of the underground now seem to be worse than before which does not fill me with hope !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:19 »

I'm supposed to be travelling on FCC (First Capital Connect) later today (with the free tickets).  Crossing my fingers, hoping that nothing breaks!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 19:35:23 »

It does not seem to be getting any better, despite all the upgrades and improvements.
I avoid FCC (First Capital Connect) as much as possible and know that it is a "weekday only, fair weather only" railway but thought that I would chance it tonight.

Intended to catch the 17-31 from City Thameslink to Sevenoaks. Initialy announced as delayed, then as arriving "soon" and eventually arrived about 18-10.
The voice announcements and the departure indicators gave contradictory information, and several times both were wrong.
Grossly overcrowded train that became progressively later en-route as passengers tried to board.
Large numbers left behind at Elephant and Castle.
The en-route announcement "this train is being diverted" merely added a little confusion since it was not in fact diverted.
By FCC standards this was not in fact that bad, less than an hour late and I just about got standing room, seats being VERY last year on FCC.

In view of the gross, and some might say dangerous overcrowding, it might have seemed sensible to await the next train, but last time I did that the next train was even worse ! And when I applied for delay compensation I was told that none was payable because I had "choosen to extend the journey time by not taking the first available train"

I have added to this old thread, rather than start a new one, to illustrate that nothing has changed. A single nights delay of course proves nothing, but this still seems very frequent on FCC.
And yes I know that the new state of art signalling is not the fault of the TOC (Train Operating Company), but they could at least make accurate announcements.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:43:01 »

Thanks for the update - yes, good idea to stick with the same thread.  I took one of their trains from Farringdon yesterday ... noticeable how everything showed "on time" until a couple of minutes before it was due, then slipped; actual departures (and I had to wait 20 minutes for my particular service) all about 5 minutes late. But then the same slippage is common in Wiltshire too - always looks like good running on the display even if everything's a bit late  Wink

I don't mind a few minutes delay - usually (I will tonight; need to connect to 17:45 off Paddington), but your 40 minutes is a bit much!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:08 »

And yes I know that the new state of art signalling is not the fault of the TOC (Train Operating Company), but they could at least make accurate announcements.
Two people were also hit by a train yesterday evening at Elstree, so not a good day for FCC (First Capital Connect).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:47 »

Which played in my favour late last night when I caught a heavily delayed Brighton train 15 minutes before the one I planned to catch....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:31 »

The two persons hit by a train was not until about 21-00, so the delays earlier in the evening was not due to that.
Just normal FCC (First Capital Connect)/ network rail cockups.

I suppose eventually it will get better, but we have had some years of improvements without any discernable increase in reliability.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 21:58:04 »

I suppose eventually it will get better, but we have had some years of improvements without any discernable increase in reliability.

TLP Key Output 1which includes Farringdon and Blackfriares is complete, just some finishing touches and snagging, a lot of traction power supply upgrading was done.  As part of Key output 2 new train care are Three Bridges ,Brighton, Cricklewood, Hornsey, Peterborough Bedford Selhurst etc is being refurbished built; signalling through the Core Area will be upgraded to Automatic Train Operation and controlled from TBROC (Three Bridges Route Control Centre) which includes the closing of the south panel in Westhampstead Panel Signal Box.  The fitting out of Canal Tunnels and the biggest job the rebuild of London Bridge Station (which make the rebuild of Reading look small)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:13 »

Bad again last night.
I intended to catch the 17-57 from City Thameslink to Sevenoaks.

The platform was overcrowded, in my view to the point of danger, with most southbound services significantly delayed.

Whilst waiting for my train, I observed at least two southbound services consisting of 4 cars only. As regular FCC (First Capital Connect) victims joked "those must be the new longer trains that we are paying extra for"

The 17-57 arrived at about 18-23 and was grossly overcrowded so I decided to wait for the 18-21 which was advertised as leaving on time, this seeming improbable as the platform was occupied by the late running 17-57.

In fact the 18-21 was also badly delayed and overcrowded, so I waited for the one after that which was only a few minutes behind.

The total delay was only about an hour, which is fairly good by FCC standards.

What annoyed me as much were the contunal daft and inane anouncements at City Thameslink "please stand behind the platform edge" And how could you stand in front of the platform edge ?

And the alternating announcements of "please use the full length of the platform" followed by "next train is formed of 4 carriages, please move to the far end of the platform"

In fact the platform was so crowded that moving was almost impossible at one point.

Yet again, I am well aware that one nights disruption is not that significant, but this seems very frequent.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: