Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:28:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 352492 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2016, 18:23:15 »

If you look at the Speed Diagram in the top RH corner of the drawings that II linked to in post 441 of this topic you will see that the EWR lines will be 75mph and as the junction for Chiltern Railway services will in effect be a 'Single Lead' one it needs to be high speed for signalling headway purposes.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2016, 21:51:42 »

A modern electric unit could easily reach 70 by the junction.

After all the 309s used to get to 60 mph  in the length of the platform in their short 65+mph start  stop averages  between stations on the GE main line between Chelmsford and Colchester.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 04, 2016, 22:28:13 »

I should have said 75mph, not 70mph.

A modern electric unit could easily reach 70 by the junction.

Indeed, a Chiltern DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) which would initially operate over the crossovers wouldn't make it to that sort of speed, though may well be nudging 60mph by that point, but with an eye on the future a layout at Oxford station that permits full acceleration from the platforms at Oxford and a modern EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) and you'd be looking at 75mph by that point I would imagine.  Coming the other way into Oxford and trains currently on the Up Main can be doing 75mph at that point, decelerating for the station stop at Oxford - and that's with a 25mph approach into the platform.

Presumably, the remaining 25mph crossovers from Down Main to Up Main and Up Main to Up Relief (when routed to the Down Bletchley) will be similarly upgraded for when East-West Rail services commence, hopefully early next decade?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 05, 2016, 11:28:43 »

Yes, I can see it makes sense to future-proof these crossovers by installing them now as 70mph (ie on the diverging/joining route), even if the full benefit won't be realised until the Oxford remodelling and electrification north of Oxford is completed (we hope!) in a few years' time.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 05, 2016, 20:29:01 »

Also, for East-West rail through freight, a 70mph turnout allows it to clear the Oxford-Banbury line asap.
I assume the Relay Room in the foreground of II's last picture is not long for this world...
(unless someone finds newts or bats inside...)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 05, 2016, 20:42:33 »

The relay room being replaced by 4 equipment cabinets the other side of the junction, so it won't be around for long.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #486 on: January 20, 2016, 13:30:13 »

Chiltern have just announced a December 12th opening for their Oxford - Marylebone service.

I'm glad they're more confident of no more planning issues coming up than I am - the City Council only turned down plans for the new drivers accommodation last Thursday
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 20, 2016, 18:17:29 »

I'm glad they're more confident of no more planning issues coming up than I am - the City Council only turned down plans for the new drivers accommodation last Thursday

Couldn't find this on their planning search weekly list for last week, do you have any other details?

Paul
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 23:29:57 by paul7755 » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 20, 2016, 18:27:58 »

Couldn't find this on their weekly list for last week, do you have any other details?

It's on their site under press releases:

HOME > news > Chiltern Railways announces Oxford city centre to London Marylebone launch date
20 Jan 2016 13:04

Chiltern Railways has announced the first direct service between Oxford city centre and London Marylebone will start in December 2016.

The final phase of the pioneering rail project, being delivered in partnership with Network Rail, will see trains running from Oxford city centre to London Marylebone from Monday 12 December.  This launch will follow the completion of the final section of track between Oxford Parkway and Oxford station and means that the first new rail link between a major British city and London in over 100 years will be fully open.

The first official passenger trains are expected to depart from Oxford station on Monday 12th December 2016.

Trains currently run from Oxford Parkway which opened in October 2015 and was the first new station to open in Oxfordshire since 1944.  It is already hugely popular and is regarded as one of the best located stations in the county due to its positioning adjacent to Oxford Parkway^s Park and Ride just off the A34 and close to the A44.

The opening of the section of track between Oxford Parkway and Oxford city centre will see the return of direct trains between Bicester and the city with services departing from Bicester Village station.

Managing Director Dave Penney said: ^We^re now able to announce the opening date of the final part of the Chiltern Railways Oxford City Centre to London Marylebone rail link as 12th December.  The new line provides customers from Oxford city centre with more trains to London and provides a new route for the many business and leisure visitors to the city.  The launch is the completion of the first new rail link between a major British city and London in over 100 years and will bring significant economic benefit to the region.^

Martin Frobisher, Route Managing Director for Network Rail, said: ^This a significant next step in connecting Oxford with London Marylebone and follows the successful opening of the line from Oxford Parkway last year. The new line provides different options for passengers travelling to the capital from Oxford as well as linking with new towns and destinations on the route. We continue to work closely with Chiltern Railways and I look forward to this exciting new piece of railway fully opening later this year.^ 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 20, 2016, 19:21:30 »

Typical Chiltern.  Not even acknowledging that means a delay of over six months to the planned opening, yet alone apologising to those affected passengers.

Mind you, the delay certainly hasn't been caused by a lack of effort on their part!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2016, 21:18:39 »

Mind you, the delay certainly hasn't been caused by a lack of effort on their part!

Is it their apology to make, then? Six months delay will be forgotten after the first week of service.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2016, 23:27:31 »

Couldn't find this on their weekly list for last week, do you have any other details?
Chiltern press release snipped...
I've edited my post to clarify that I was asking about the Oxford City planning decision.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:19 »

Is it their apology to make, then? Six months delay will be forgotten after the first week of service.

As it's their scheme and they announced the original opening date as Spring 2016 and have waited until late January to reveal what we'd all known for several months, then I would say that's a resounding 'yes'.  Or at least to acknowledge that it's later than originally planned in the press release, rather than totally ignore it to ensure the press release is 100% positive.  Some complain about GWR (Great Western Railway) spin, but I would say Chiltern have even more form in this area!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 21, 2016, 12:31:11 »

If I were in charge, I would take it on the chin like a real man, and blame someone else.

Now, please!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 22, 2016, 10:33:34 »

Page 105 of the Hendy Update Report (dated January 2016 of course) states that:

Phase 0: enables Chiltern Rail services to commence from London Marylebone to Oxford from September 2016 as part of the East West Rail project, through existing bay platform enhancement.

Perhaps Chiltern are just being prudent in announcing a start date of December 2016, which gives plenty of time for delays, driver training etc.  Maybe the turnround times at Oxford Parkway from May will allow at least some trains to run through to Oxford if the infrastructure is ready before the December timetable change.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: