17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 18:41:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[121] access for all at Devon stations report
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[27] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 352380 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2015, 10:16:36 »

No, those are they. Just one extra coach on one train for the overcrowding at Bicester North, I note. The train before is also horrendously overcrowded, as are the xx47 in the evening peak from London. All of which they've left untouched & are obviously hoping to wing it. More changes to come in May timetable I reckon.

At least they'll definitely have those additional 4 168/3s in by then. But it won't be enough.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 19, 2015, 15:27:52 »

But it won't be enough.

Indeed, and hence me yesterday referencing the article in RAIL which you slightly scoffed at.

They go on to say that there will be difficulty getting any other 100mph capable compatible units in the foreseeable future (other than the four arriving early next year), with the most likely candidates I can see being the eight Class 172s which London Overground use on the Gospel Oak to Barking route which are scheduled to be replaced with EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in 2017/8 which may well be too long to wait - and can that electrification timescale be trusted!  It's also not great having so many 2-car trains without corridor connections and they'd need modifying to increase their speed from 75mph to 100mph.

Hence more MKIII's and Class 68s being possibly the best option, though no doubt a more expensive one.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 25, 2015, 21:11:09 »

The word going around Network Rail is they cannot complete the upgrade between Oxford Parkway and Oxford before next September meaning the original intention of extending the train service in March 2016 is unlikely.

No doubt Chiltern will announce it sometime when it suits!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:09 »

Sadly there are several hurdles in the way, so March is indeed looking less and less likely.  A six-month delay isn't the end of the world though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:25 »

I believe one of the hurdles, the planning issues concerning the relocatable train crew building at Oxford (which allows the present building to be demolished and the new platforms built), was finally overcome at a council meeting yesterday.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 02, 2015, 11:56:13 »

I believe one of the hurdles, the planning issues concerning the relocatable train crew building at Oxford (which allows the present building to be demolished and the new platforms built), was finally overcome at a council meeting yesterday.

That just seems to have been a variation application: 15/03087/VAR - passed on Dec 1st.     

It was to extend the allowed period of temporary use from 3 years to 6 years, basically to provide a margin to avoid it having to be removed if the station masterplan is delayed; that work needs a TWA Order.  They presumably wouldn't want to move to another temporary building if the station rebuild is still under way.   I think from the text NR» (Network Rail - home page) were pushing at an open door - it suits the council's timescales for the station area.

The overall plans for Chiltern's requirements (a 'prior approval' application covered by 15/00096/PA18) were passed on 10th September.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 02, 2015, 13:04:36 »

Yes indeed, the extension from 3 to 6 years was key to the project not being delayed any more.  I understand work will commence early next month.  Not sure it was an 'open door' though otherwise there would have been no 3 year limit imposed at the first time of asking surely?  I also believe that somebody with influence over the council lives very close by, and were using every trick in the book to scupper the plans.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 13:24:51 by IndustryInsider » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2015, 13:20:05 »

I believe at least one Councillor lives in the houses behind the Said Business School, next to the depot....
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2015, 20:27:44 »

3 or 5 years seems to be a standard condition for temporary buildings. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #474 on: December 10, 2015, 17:40:37 »

No, those are they. Just one extra coach on one train for the overcrowding at Bicester North, I note. The train before is also horrendously overcrowded, as are the xx47 in the evening peak from London. All of which they've left untouched & are obviously hoping to wing it. More changes to come in May timetable I reckon.

At least they'll definitely have those additional 4 168/3s in by then. But it won't be enough.

I'm told that these extra 170s are staying with TPE (Trans Pennine Express) until the route to Oxford goes live....so nothing more in by May except one additional coach for the blue/grey loco+coaches set
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 14, 2015, 16:05:49 »

Report into the 'chaos and misery' currently being faced by some Chiltern Railways commuters since the Oxford Parkway timetable.  Just where is 'Btline' when you need him...   Wink

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2015-12-14/new-railway-has-led-to-misery-for-commuters/

To be fair to Chiltern though, missing two units due to damage caused by the storms really does impact upon your fleet availability when things are already a squeeze, and I found it quite ironic that one of the complaining passengers was being filmed on a virtually empty carriage - though he didn't mention overcrowding.  A test for the operator that is held in such high regard.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #476 on: December 14, 2015, 16:12:09 »

I've not watched the clip, but the complaints started the day that the Oxford Parkway timetable started & just haven't stopped - I think Chiltern themselves would admit that timetable made assumptions that didn't materialise & was unfit for purpose - along with many NR» (Network Rail - home page) failures, but their stock allocation & some services just didn't work.

New timetable started yesterday & they promised fixes - but not all problems have been fixed. This is probably well deserved.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 14, 2015, 22:05:24 »

To be fair to Chiltern though, missing two units due to damage caused by the storms really does impact upon your fleet availability when things are already a squeeze, and I found it quite ironic that one of the complaining passengers was being filmed on a virtually empty carriage - though he didn't mention overcrowding. 

It looked as though everyone else had just alighted at Marylebone, and he stayed on to be interviewed.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 03, 2016, 15:42:57 »

A quick photo update on the progress on the line upgrade between Oxford and Oxford Parkway:

A view from the temporary pedestrian bridge at First Turn, Wolvercote.  Wolvercote Tunnel that has been causing all the trouble regarding bats can be seen in the background, showing how short it is!

Here's a view of the portal at the other end of the tunnel.  Track will be lower enough to accommodate the W10 freight gauge and electrification.

Here's a view from above that tunnel portal, from the same location as I posted a few months back.  The sound barriers are being built up and the ground has been levelled ready for drainage, ballast and track to be laid.

Finally, here's a view of Oxford North Junction with the new formation beginning to take shape with two 70mph crossovers eventually replacing the current single 25mph crossover.  You can also see progress on the left of the image on the extension of the Down Passenger Loop from here as far as Wolvercote Junction.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 04, 2016, 17:04:12 »

Thanks II, very interesting.

Why are the crossovers 70 mph - surely no passenger trains will ever get to 70 mph between Oxford and Oxford Parkway?  Or is it dictated by a Group Standard?

Edit a few minutes later.... Ah, is it to avoid need for approach control?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 17:10:36 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: