Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 04:35 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 04:44:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 project - ongoing discussion  (Read 352358 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 06, 2016, 20:28:27 »

I strongly doubt it this time :-)

Wot I thought.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 06, 2016, 20:36:00 »

There is also an Oxford Phase 2 which is the addition of the 'Down Oxford Passenger Loop' and Platform No.5 together with some additional crossovers (but that is nothing to do with the Chiltern Oxford service).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 07, 2016, 08:53:52 »

And I suspect SandTEngineer is looking at something that is current. It may well be called that now, but we're discussing either post Dec 12, or post Phase 1. Why would the Signalling Scheme Plans show future names?
No, I wasn't.  A record of the current signalling at a site is called a 'Signalling Plan', 'Signalling Diagram', 'Domestic Diagram' or in the case of ex-WR lines a 'Locking Sketch', and is shown in black.  Future works are shown on a 'Signalling Scheme Plan' and show retained works in black, recovered works in green and new works in red (and sometimes future optional works in blue or dotted blue).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 15:47:29 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 18, 2016, 11:57:27 »

I strongly doubt it this time :-)

I know for sure - from NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s Project Senior Sponsor....which is where my info came from initially, but now have it in writing

Following the commissioning of Phase 1, in 2018, it will be call the “UP Relief” all the way from Wolvercote Junction to Oxford station.

That should defuse any arguments!

I suspect he's a reader on here :-)
You have been very quite since we challenged your post.  Any more info to say we are wrong?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #574 on: October 18, 2016, 12:02:30 »

quiet, even.

I answered the challenge in the quote you used. I have that in writing /email. I'm happy.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #575 on: October 20, 2016, 15:52:37 »

Thanks for that confirmation, ChrisB.  The Phase 1 map is indeed correct then - I hadn't spotted it was differently labelled on the Phase 0 and Phase 1 maps.  Do we know if it will be called that from the completion of Phase 0 this December to the Completion of Phase 1 in 2018?

From out of the ether, I got a reply to my question....

From Phase 0 until the completion of Phase 1 the line between Wolvercote Junction and Oxford North Junction will be called the Up Passenger loop, from Oxford Junction to Oxford Station it will be called the Up Relief and from the station to the east towards Didcot it will be called the Up and Down Passenger.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 26, 2016, 11:58:22 »

Pleased to report that the old traincrew block has finally been vacated last night and staff transferred to the new 'temporary' building behind what will be the new platform 1.  This should have happened in late July based on original timescales, so is about three months late.  It does at least mean they can get on with demolishing the old crew building and rebuilding that section of the new platforms in the race to get things ready for 9th December.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #577 on: October 26, 2016, 12:01:10 »

Chiltern should receive the line for driver training at the end of November, I'm told - leaving 10 days for training
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 26, 2016, 12:38:14 »

Chiltern should receive the line for driver training at the end of November, I'm told - leaving 10 days for training
While that doesn't sound very much, many drivers could be trained "on the job", with a driver-trainer (DSM - driving standards manager?) boarding at Oxford Parkway, and effectively "conducting" the driver the rest of the way into Oxford, and back again; the driver-trainer then changes platforms at Oxford Parkway and then conducts the next train.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #579 on: October 26, 2016, 12:39:47 »

Indeed, and as they're only learning a few miles from Parkway into the city, it should be fine.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 26, 2016, 12:47:38 »

Yes, I don't think that would present much of a problem as it's a short section and the last month or two has seen drivers learning the various shunt moves around the station which is far more complex.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 09, 2016, 23:58:40 »

All sorts of heavy machinery moving about bits of demolished train crew accommodation at Oxford at just before 10pm this evening, and making a right racket.  Bet that's gone down well with the nearby neighbours!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #582 on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:16 »

from NR» (Network Rail - home page)';s Oxford newsletter -

Work continues at Oxford Station to construct new platforms and accommodation building at Oxford Station.  We have  written to our neighbours around  the station to let them know that we will be working 24/7 from Wednesday 9 November to Sunday 11 December.  This work is necessary to allow us to open the new platforms on time on 12 December. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this work, but can assure our neighbours that we will do everything possible to minimise disruption during this time.

The residents had better get used to it....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:23 »

And I feel sorry for them.  24/7 working at a location so close to housing should not be allowed just because a project has fallen so far behind.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 10, 2016, 12:09:33 »

And I feel sorry for them.  24/7 working at a location so close to housing should not be allowed just because a project has fallen so far behind.

How much of the falling behind has been due to delays in starting while NR» (Network Rail - home page) responded to objections by the same neighbours, eventually found by the planning process to be unjustified?   

"Own goal" is the first phrase that springs to mind.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: