Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:11:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western announces extra capacity across network  (Read 47580 times)
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:20 »

07:18dep 07:43arr  Now: 5   Was: 3

Arrggh, but this used to be a 7 or 8 coach HST (High Speed Train), not so long ago.
I don't blame them for not advertising this fact, taking some away and giving less back doesn't sound too good.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2012, 15:41:59 »

Still complaints in Maidenhead Advertiser today re lack of seats from Maidenhead.

Quoted someone who has a first class season for ^3000 to London and can't get a seat.

I was paying over ^2000 for a Std classs season in 2005 from Taplow and that included the no trains on Sunday discount.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2012, 19:56:56 »

Some operators (I can't remember which) put posters up at stations that give the number of carriages on peak workings, and I believe may even give a prediction of how full they are likely to be to help passengers make an informed choice as to which service to catch. Very useful.

FGW (First Great Western) do it for summer Saturday afternoon services out of Weymouth, for example ...

So, a total of over 1600 seats each weekday morning from Maidenhead to Paddington, including two extra Standard Class carriages spread over the three HST (High Speed Train) operated services - just shows the scale of the capacity problem if regular commuters still perceive no difference!

But with a caution that it's not 1600 extra seats for people from Maidenhead.   If each train calls at 8 stations on its way into Paddington, that's an average of just 200 extra seats per station.  You list 29 services, so that becomes just 7 extra seats for Maidenhead passengers per train ... hardly surprising that it may feel like a drop in the ocean  Undecided

thanks Grahame.. A very good point :-)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2012, 19:57:57 »

07:18dep 07:43arr  Now: 5   Was: 3

Arrggh, but this used to be a 7 or 8 coach HST (High Speed Train), not so long ago.
I don't blame them for not advertising this fact, taking some away and giving less back doesn't sound too good.

Oh dear.. I'm not terribly surprised..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2012, 19:16:15 »

No problem.  I'll do an evening rush-hour one when I have time (probably Friday). 

Just to let you know that I will still do this soon.  Didn't have time Friday, and tonight's service is altered as only 2 of 4 Class 180s are about today (as well as a few other problems).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2012, 19:44:10 »

16:27 ex Padd this evening 2 car 165 instead of a 3 car which normally gets full at Ealing Broadway this afternoon I think some folks were left behind at Ealing Broadway and Southall ..........  Roll Eyes so plenty of capacity .......... not  Undecided

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2012, 21:52:51 »

Indeed.. I travelled Reading to Maidenhead yesterday afternoon (Sunday).. The Paddington only HSTs (High Speed Train) were full to the point of not letting people on and my three car turbo was overfull.. Now whilst I know that they do engineering works etc at weekends so can't run as many trains.. Surely that wouldn't stop them running more than 3 cars on a stopping train??  Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 21:33:05 »

Here's the follow-up post to my morning comparison, showing the situation this evening from Paddington to Maidenhead compared with an evening early last December before any of the additional carriages and trains had arrived.  It includes all services timed to depart Paddington between 16:30 and 20:30.  As far as I know both evenings were free of disruption and short formations apart from those specifically mentioned.

Fast services (those that take 30 minutes or less):
17:18dep 17:38arr  Now: 5   Was: 3 
17:36dep 17:57arr  Now: 5   Was: 8   (Was a HST (High Speed Train), now a 5-Car Turbo, so standard class seating has actually increased)
17:50dep 18:09arr  Now: 8   Was: 8   (Now a HST with 5x Standard Class - same amount)
18:18dep 18:39arr  Now: 6   Was: 5
18:36dep 19:03arr  Now: 5   Was: 2   (Suspected short formation last December)   
19:06dep 19:26arr  Now: 3   Was: 3
19:18dep 19:39arr  Now: 5   Was: 3   (Now a Class 180, so actual seating remains roughly the same)
19:48dep 20:06arr  Now: 8   Was: 8   (Now a HST with 5x Standard Class - same amount)

Total number of seats has risen slightly, but not to the same extent as found in the morning peak.  The additional carriage on probably the most popular train, the 18:18 departure, will no doubt have been welcomed, though with 30 minutes until the next fast train after the 18:36, it's no wonder that the 19:06 3-Car Turbo is still very crowded.  All of the HSTs tonight were of the 5 Standard Class carriage types, but may also often be formed of the 6 Standard Class carriages type.

Slow services:
16:42dep 17:30arr  Now: 5   Was: 5
16:55dep 17:43arr  Now: 5   Was: 3
17:12dep 17:47arr  Now: 2   Was: 3  (Suspected short formation tonight)
17:15dep 18:05arr  Now: 5   Was: 5
17:25dep 18:10arr  Now: 5   Was: 3
17:42dep 18:13arr  Now: 3   Was: 3
17:45dep 18:26arr  Now: 6   Was: 6
17:57dep 18:43arr  Now: 5   Was: 5
18:12dep 18:48arr  Now: 3   Was: 5
18:15dep 18:57arr  Now: 6   Was: 6
18:25dep 19:10arr  Now: 5   Was: 5
18:45dep 19:21arr  Now: 5   Was: 3
18:57dep 19:43arr  Now: 5   Was: 5
19:12dep 19:52arr  Now: 5   Was: 3
19:27dep 20:09arr  Now: 5   Was: 3
19:42dep 20:29arr  Now: 3   Was: 2
19:57dep 20:34arr  Now: 3   Was: 3
20:12dep 20:55arr  Now: 3   Was: 3
20:27dep 21:04arr  Now: 3   Was: 2

On the slow trains that's an increase in the total number of carriages by 9 from 73 to 82.  That is with one suspected short formation tonight, so the actual number is probably in double figures.  It's worth pointing out that a few of these 'slow' trains only just take over the 30 minute mark, so could be described as semi-fast I suppose.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 21:41:29 »

Many thanks for your obviously considerable work in producing that information, II.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 22:28:24 »

18:36dep 19:03arr  Now: 5   Was: 2   (Suspected short formation last December)   
19:06dep 19:26arr  Now: 3   Was: 3
19:18dep 19:39arr  Now: 5   Was: 3   (Now a Class 180, so actual seating remains roughly the same)

Thanks you so much for finding all the information out IndustryInsider...

Just a couple of comments..

The 18.36 has always been more than 3 carriages so your suspected short formation in December is true I'm sure

No idea why the 19.06 is still only 3 carriages.. It is a very busy/popular train at least as far as Maidenhead.

One of the reasons I was wondering about extra carriages was because I got the 19.18 recently and it was still 3 carriages so I guess a problem on that day...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2012, 14:30:13 »

Just a couple of comments..

The 18.36 has always been more than 3 carriages so your suspected short formation in December is true I'm sure

No idea why the 19.06 is still only 3 carriages.. It is a very busy/popular train at least as far as Maidenhead.

One of the reasons I was wondering about extra carriages was because I got the 19.18 recently and it was still 3 carriages so I guess a problem on that day...

I've since noticed that a Class 180 failed at Worcester yesterday afternoon (it spent the night at Worcester in fact), so that will also have impacted on the service.  The train it was due to form, the 17:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) was formed by a 5-car Turbo instead, so it's quite possible that other trains were a little shorter than normal to provide those Turbo carriages - the 17:12 departure for example.  A Class 180 shortage would also have no doubt led to your 19:18 PAD-OXF being a 3-car Turbo when you travelled.

I'll take another look in the week and correct what was missing last night, for the most accurate picture.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2012, 13:55:06 »

Here is a full comparison of carriages provided at Paddington last December and this December.  All (Except Heathrow Express) AM Peak arrivals 06:30-10:30 are shown, as are PM Peak departures 16:30-20:30 together with the number of carriages provided on each service.

I deliberately chose a day with minimal disruption on both occasions and at the same time of year.  Since last December the HSTs (High Speed Train) have all been extended to 2+8 sets, Class 180s have returned, and Class 150s have been deployed between Reading and Paddington.

The result, as you can see below, is around 30 extra carriages over each peak period compared with a year ago.  That doesn't actually translate to 30 extra carriages of extra seats, as a few of the trains that were 3-Car Turbos are now 5-Car Adelantes but still provide roughly the same number of seats.  Though to balance that out there are still a couple of 2+7 HST sets running around and there shouldn't be if everything was running as planned.

Last December there was a short formed trains in the evening peak which explains why the difference is 33 carriages - in reality it should be 30.  In total, I reckon around 2300-2500 extra seats are now being provided each peak for the times I've surveyed.

Here are the full details:

Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:19 »

This has been posted on the First Great Western website

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Media-centre/First-Great-Western-statement-on-overcrowding

Of course it is good news when additional seats are provided however:-

"From September 2012, the 06:30 service from Banbury to London Paddington has started from Oxford not Banbury, leaving Oxford at 07:00. It is now operated by a refreshed Class 180 train which provides an increased standard class seating capacity."

Does anyone know how many extra standard class seats are there in a 180 over a Turbo?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:04 »

Does anyone know how many extra standard class seats are there in a 180 over a Turbo?

Yes, I saw that release and thought 'hmmmm'  Undecided

If they'd said 'extra seats' then that would just about have been a justifiable, although not exactly a massive increase, as total Class 180 seats (including tip-ups) is 284 against 275 in a 3-Car Class 166 (though a 3-car Class 165 has 286).  However in terms of standard class seating, a 180 has 242 seats (including tip-ups), which is less than a Class 166 (243), and much less than a Class 165 (270).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2013, 12:21:49 »

"From September 2012, the 06:30 service from Banbury to London Paddington has started from Oxford not Banbury, leaving Oxford at 07:00. It is now operated by a refreshed Class 180 train which provides an increased standard class seating capacity."

There probably is a greater seating capacity from Oxford ... simply because the train starts empty from there, rather than having a proportion of the seats already occupied by through passengers from Banbury.   Even the same old train would have offered more seats from Oxford if it had been altered to start from there, rather than coming through part-loaded from further north!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: