22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:50:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Exploring and celebrating the railways - a documentary project  (Read 6622 times)
Rob@CenturyFilms

View Profile Email
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:26 »

Hello all

I'm very new to this forum, but I'm already impressed by the wealth of information and discussions! Although not a regular on FGW (First Great Western), I'm currently making a documentary about the rail network, and I'm very keen to explore the commuting world west of London ...

Although much of my research is looking at the important upgrade work and the unique challenge of carrying this out on such a busy part of the network (FGW and Network Rail have been great in helping us document their projects), I'm also very keen to get in contact with regular users of trains - particularly between Bath and London - so that there can be a strong element of human stories.

It would be great to explore both the good and more difficult aspects of the 'commuter's life'. From the experience of travelling on overcrowded trains (the reason why much of the upgrade work is taking place) to the great sense of camaraderie and the hidden 'social scene' that often exists on regular routes. In particular, I'm key explore life on these routes within the context of the festive period and the great Christmas getaway ... as much as being our life-line into work, the trains are also our escape to families and friends.

Anyway, it would be great to chat and find out more. Do reply if you have any thoughts or ideas!

Regards,

Rob McCabe

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:46 »

Although I no longer commute, in the early 2000s there were a group of us were regulars on the 17:36 Padd Bourne End. When it ran first stop Slough then Maidenhead and the branch.

We always sat in the same group of seats in the front coach first 6 bay on left in the middle section. One of our members even got a postcard sent to us,  via the Station Manager, on the train, which was delivered by a memember of staff.

One of our number also recorded the exact times of all his journies and even what line we ran. Thus I was horrified to discover the number of runs we had made from Line 3 to Down Main via SN109. At times it was almost booked route every night. 

If we got a good run and used platform 2 at Slough we'd regularly do Slough in 15 minutes at an average of around 74 mph, but then they didn't start breaking until the Uxbridge Road bridge,  not Langley station as now.

Rob@CenturyFilms

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:00 »

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Sounds great - I wonder if your fellow travellers still do the journey?

And how do you keep all that information in your head?!

Best,

Rob
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 13:56:42 »

I'm a closet track basher.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 20:23:24 »

Hello all

I'm very new to this forum, but I'm already impressed by the wealth of information and discussions!

Well, thanks for your kind comment, Rob - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:37:23 »

This certainly doesn't fall into the "celebrating" segment but I remember a sombering event when travelling back on an HST (High Speed Train) which started in Paddington and we got off at Didcot. In believe it was in the late 1970s.We had just been to see Queen in concert and were tired and it was probably between  11 and 12 at night. Am am trying to be careful as to how much detail to go into in this post.

There were 3 young men fighting in the vestibule and annoying all of the passengers because they kept activating the electric doors. All of a sudden there was a rush of air and a thump along the side of the coach. Lets just say there were only two men left in the vestibule and the next thing we knew is the train was brought to an abrupt halt and we didn't move for a while.

I've tried to not add to much too much detail to this post - if anyone wants any further info please feel free to PM me.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 16:29:38 »

How awful for you, and indeed all concerned.

Can't help thinking though, I sincerely hope that Queen didn't encore with track 7 from their LP 'Jazz' in their set that night....
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 16:37:18 »

Can't help thinking though, I sincerely hope that Queen didn't encore with track 7 from their LP 'Jazz' in their set that night....

I'm still digging around to find out what track 7 is...I hope it is more subtle than another one bites the dust!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 16:38:46 »

I'm still digging around to find out what track 7 is...I hope it is more subtle than another one bites the dust!

Just found it...your sense of humour is worse than mine Phil! Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 17:25:55 »

Phil. Nice to know you are also a bit of a Queen fan. That's an assumption on my part, but referencing an obscure album track leads me to believe you know your 'Queen' stuff. BerkshireBugsy will understand what I'm on about following our PM exchange....

This topic is drifting somewhat, but it's nice to know that there are a few closet Queen fans out there in Coffee Shop land.  Grin

Apologies to Rob@CenturyFilms who probably doesn't want to know about all things 'Queen' but indulge me and the other Queen fans by listening to this excellent track from Queen's Jazz album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUg9RWfPxwg

Leave on time leave on time
Never got your ticket but you leave on time
Gonna get your ticket but you leave on time
Put it in your pocket but you never can tell

....and the album notes say:

"Thunderbolt courtesy of God"

Apologies Rob@CenturyFilms, I can't help you with your particular query but I do wish you good luck in finding the information you need and possible contributors for your documentary, so whilst this thread has drifted somewhat I think it only fair to link back to your original request:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9893.msg102956#msg102956

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 17:40:47 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 17:34:23 »

Did the cover for Jazz proudly preclaim "no synthesizers"??

How about this for a lineup...Brian May, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and Mark Knopfler..

Just proving there is a life outside of standard guage!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 23:06:16 »

Many apologies for helping steer this one off track, guys. And I have to confess, I'm not really a Queen fan as such, though I did buy the "Keep Yourself Alive" 45 when it first came out (with Son & Daughter on the flip I seem to recall). Let's just say I know a fair bit about music, particularly the more obscure end of the rock spectrum...
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 19:54:17 »

I remember the old pre Beeching days of BR (British Rail(ways)) and I lived in Bridgwater (Somerset). We used to have a regular day out in London doing the various sights and a theatre in the evening on a Saturday. We used to catch the 11.50 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (to Penznace via Bristol) and it was the paper train dropping off at all main stations arriving at Bridgwater at 04.15 on Sunday morning. This train was very popular and packed so that BR used to run a relief at midnight as far as Bristol. On one occasion the Tube delayed us and we arrived at about 11.51 to see the train disappearing away from the platform. On approaching a porter (don't say what is a porter), he said "just catch the relief. It passes the main train at Reading so you can arrive at Bristol and catch the 11.50 when it gets there  a few minutes after you arrive." That was service! However I now live on the Cotswold Line and an evening London theatre trip is impossible because the last train home departs PAD at 21.48 long before theatre carriages time. That is is not service!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 20:29:16 »

I was just about to chip in with some of my ealiest memories for Great Western services through my home village of Adderbury (on the Banbury to Cheltenham line) but realised it may be about 30 years to old (or to young?!) for this thread!
Rob@CenturyFilms

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:30:13 »

Thanks for all the comments and feedback ... my Queen expertise is on the rise!

In particular, I'd be very interested to hear about people's commuting journeys now / today - the trials, the tribulations, the camaraderie.

Best,

Rob
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: