Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:05:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some dumb questions for a commuter rather than a rail inider.....  (Read 4816 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: November 23, 2007, 00:25:41 »

1. What is a diagram?  Well I *know* what a diagram is in the general sense but what is the significance in rail terms

2. What does it mean when "xyz crew only sign for abc route"

3. I am not a train spotter so can anyone give me a run down of the main classes and what is good/bad about them........I currently have a lot of time in meetings I use to browse forums and would lover to further understand theposts..... I know HST (High Speed Train)'s, 180s, 165s, 166s, and 170s (because arriva run them to crewe - think they are the newer ones not the crappy ones).

Just a one liner would help decode the foreign language

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 01:59:55 »

1. What is a diagram?

The term "diagram" is used in UK (United Kingdom) train management to mean "working out what each train does each day" or a "train duty".  The diagram shows where and when each train starts and where and when it finishes each day and what it does in between.  When the timetable is completed, each trip shown in the timetable is allocated a train.  The train or the trip, is given an identity and then a list of trips drawn up for each train.  Everything the train does is listed, including empty trips to and from depots.

2. What does it mean when "xyz crew only sign for abc route"
Train drivers (and guards, for that matter) have to know where all speed limits, signals, stations, junctions and level crossings are on their routes, and until they prove they know a route they are not allowed to work over it.

Quote from: nntp://uk.railway
Click here for the original post You are given a road learning ticket (which gives you authority to be in the leading cab), and then you ride in cabs, and learn each route you will work over. When you are satisfied you know where the stations, signals, level crossings, and other important features are, you are then tested on this by a Driver Standards Manager (DSM). If he/she is satisfied at your level of knowledge, you then sign a routecard for that route. You are then fully qualified to drive the traction you have previously passed on, over that section of line.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:27:33 »

3. I am not a train spotter so can anyone give me a run down of the main classes and what is good/bad about them........I currently have a lot of time in meetings I use to browse forums and would lover to further understand theposts..... I know HST (High Speed Train)'s, 180s, 165s, 166s, and 170s (because arriva run them to crewe - think they are the newer ones not the crappy ones).

142/3/4=Pacer - Hated across the Network as they are designed on buses, and only have 3 sets of doors on each side
150/1= A unit popular with traincrew and passengers alike. Operated by London Midland.
150/2= Also popular with crew, /2's are oparated by Northern, FGW (First Great Western) and ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))
153= Single car pile of crap! Very slow off the mark, and normally kept in a state that you wouldn't keep your home in!
155= 2 car and nicer varient of the 153
156=?
158= 2/3 car units, air conditioned (aparently) operating longish distance routes around the country - can be found from Penznace to Wick!
159= Nicer varient of the 158 - operated by SWT (South West Trains) and kept in VERY good condition
165/6= Turbos operated on mainly local stopping serivces. FGW ones not as good as Chilterns  - who have very good 'air cooling'
168= Chilterns stop gap between 165's and 170's, shown by the design as /0's look like 165's and the rest look like 170's
170= Long distance and local units, many different livery and interior varients
175= Mini 180
180= Long Distance unrealiable 5 car units, comfy but sadly the air-con is very dodgey

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:41:41 »

Thanks, Jim.   The 156 units were - I think - 2 car sets that were split to produce 2 x 153 each.

Of these, I think FGW (First Great Western) run only:

142 (just arriving) and 143, 150/1 (just arriving), 150/2. 153 and 158 ("The West" fleet)
165 and 166 (Thames Valley)
125 and 180 (just leaving us) (High Speed Fleet)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:33:36 »

Quote from: grahame
The 156 units were - I think - 2 car sets that were split to produce 2 x 153 each.
No, 153s were derived from 155s.

156s are two-car units with single-leaf sliding doors. Scotrail use them on the West Highland line, and I think Northern use them on Leeds-Settle-Carlisle. They are much nicer than 150s - including the Wessex refurbs!

There is a website dedicated to the 156 here.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 14:28:14 »

1. What is a diagram?  Well I *know* what a diagram is in the general sense but what is the significance in rail terms
In train crew terms, it is what we pick up when we book on for duty. Basically tells us where we are going, stopping patterns, timings, etc. Also tells us what units are booked to form the trains, but this is not usually correct due to failures and stock shortages!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 15:32:05 »

Quote from: grahame
The 156 units were - I think - 2 car sets that were split to produce 2 x 153 each.
No, 153s were derived from 155s.

156s are two-car units with single-leaf sliding doors. Scotrail use them on the West Highland line, and I think Northern use them on Leeds-Settle-Carlisle. They are much nicer than 150s - including the Wessex refurbs!

There is a website dedicated to the 156 here.
156's are I believe the most reliable DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s ever built? I think thats actually official!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 15:33:22 »

and 170s (because arriva run them to crewe - think they are the newer ones not the crappy ones).

Arriva actually use 175's on the Marches line, Arriva Trains Wales don't have any 170's, oh God I sound like a train spotter!   Wink
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 15:37:39 »

and 170s (because arriva run them to crewe - think they are the newer ones not the crappy ones).

oh God I sound like a train spotter!   Wink

Not as much as me - so don't worry Tongue

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 16:05:45 »

156's were pretty much the same as 155's but they proved more sucessful so 155's were split up to form 153's. 156's are apparently very nice and used in a similar way to 158's which is long distance regional journeys. They are also refurblished to high standards.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 16:17:19 »

156's aren't great for long distance as they don't have air con.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 16:46:51 »

But the same goes for a majority of 158's in Wales and the West!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 17:14:12 »

156's were pretty much the same as 155's but they proved more sucessful so 155's were split up to form 153's. 156's are apparently very nice and used in a similar way to 158's which is long distance regional journeys. They are also refurblished to high standards.
156s did operate on the Cardiff to Pompey line for a while along with 155s but eventually they left for pastures new. They came out about the same time as the 155s but were much better built.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:10:43 »

But the same goes for a majority of 158's in Wales and the West!

The 158's i've been on in wales all have working aircon  Tongue
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 14:52:24 »

Train Crew are also diagramed. Book on/off times and what one is required to do in between.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: